The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a producer / engineer for 80s style pop record
Old 8th July 2019
Gear Head

Looking for a producer / engineer for 80s style pop record

We're looking for a producer/engineer to collaborate with on an 80s pop record. The main job will be to extend songs , add elements to compositions , help to construct songs and finalize , harmonize, mix and master it.

We do have a budget for this but of course we prefer to work with like-minded people who are also looking to create an amazing 80s record.

The intention is to create a list of analogue "warm" 80's songs with a little boost to it and modern topics. We have some great singers ready to collaborate.

The record will be released through a label.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear
Are you looking for old, somewhat deaf people who actually made 80s pop records, or some younger people who will spin you some convincing BS about knowing the secret magic of 80s pop?
There are so many potential pitfalls of either approach.
Good luck.
Old 8th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Are you looking for old, somewhat deaf people who actually made 80s pop records, or some younger people who will spin you some convincing BS about knowing the secret magic of 80s pop?
Good luck.
Old 8th July 2019
when you say extend, i think make the tracks longer. Are you more wanting someone to build off your ideas, like another writer/member or someone to polish off what you've already done?
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Good luck.
There are 10000s of records that were produced back then so I assume that this is no rocket science right here... I get your point but why would people who produced in the 80s be deaf right now? Most of them would be 50 - 65 years old right now.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by newspapers View Post
We're looking for a producer/engineer to collaborate with on an 80s pop record. The main job will be to extend songs , add elements to compositions , help to construct songs and finalize , harmonize, mix and master it.

We do have a budget for this but of course we prefer to work with like-minded people who are also looking to create an amazing 80s record.

The intention is to create a list of analogue "warm" 80's songs with a little boost to it and modern topics. We have some great singers ready to collaborate.

The 80's aren't renowned for "warm analog"

When people think "80's sound," they think of 12-bit samplers, 12-bit DX7 mrk1
sounds and DCO Juno 106, JX-8P, synths mostly.

There is also a lot of PTSD dating from 1985 when major labels and acts started to release the first "Digitally recorded" LP's.....They sounded like complete ass in case you don't recall..

...Think KISS "Crazy Nights", The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels", Billy Idol "Whiplash Smile" (Sounds so bad next to Rebel Yell, it's not even funny)

The Billy Idol records mark a monumental difference in Pre and Post 1985 records.

One was a pleasant mix of low-fi digital and analog, the other was a soul-grinding dirge of 16-bit CRAP.

So personally, I don't think the '80s should ever be referred to as a single decade, and 80's nostalgia is almost ALWAYS for the pre 85' era
Old 9th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
The 80's aren't renowned for "warm analog"

When people think "80's sound," they think of 12-bit samplers, 12-bit DX7 mrk1
sounds and DCO Juno 106, JX-8P, synths mostly.

There is also a lot of PTSD dating from 1985 when major labels and acts started to release the first "Digitally recorded" LP's.....They sounded like complete ass in case you don't recall..

...Think KISS "Crazy Nights", The Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels", Billy Idol "Whiplash Smile" (Sounds so bad next to Rebel Yell, it's not even funny)

The Billy Idol records mark a monumental difference in Pre and Post 1985 records.

One was a pleasant mix of low-fi digital and analog, the other was a soul-grinding dirge of 16-bit CRAP.

So personally, I don't think the '80s should ever be referred to as a single decade, and 80's nostalgia is almost ALWAYS for the pre 85' era
Since you are an expert analyst on the 80s decade maybe you can refer me to someone who produced before 85?
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
There are 10000s of records that were produced back then so I assume that this is no rocket science right here... I get your point but why would people who produced in the 80s be deaf right now? Most of them would be 50 - 65 years old right now.
You specified “an amazing 80s record”. There weren’t 10,000 of those. There might be less than 100, if “amazing” is going to be the standard.

You SHOULD assume there was some “rocket science”, “magic”, or whatever you call those rare assemblies of talents that created those amazing recordings. There is no common recipe some guru-for-hire can “dial up” to give you that amazing result.

If a producer was 40 in 1980, he or she would be 79 years old today. The 80s producer age range is probably 55 to 85.

Sad fact... most people lose a significant range of high frequency hearing as they age. And many of the producers of that era spent their working lives in front of soffited double 15” monitors with clients who wanted to listen at “stun” levels. There’s a lot of tinnitus and deafness among older recording people.
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
if you're serious, I'd be happy to listen and discuss

I'm pretty sure I know a little about so-called "80's pop"
Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
if you're serious, I'd be happy to listen and discuss

I'm pretty sure I know a little about so-called "80's pop"
This really is the ‘80s calling! Much to my surprise, the OP has a serious response from a genuinely successful producer.
Old 6th August 2019
how much is the budget?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm nowhere near as successful as wwittman but I do have some nice 80ies gear lying around (ok some newer **** also). my main thing is mixing the shizzle out of everything though ... or do some over the top guitar noodeling ... aw whatever
Old 4 weeks ago
How much money will you pay me?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Go to Youtube and check out....oh crap....what's his name? ....Espen Kroft!

He makes 80's synth-pop with all the readily available gear from that era, he's located in Norway, but if you're serious (I.E have a budget) he can definitely do the job.

And you'll have no need for samples of his work, he's got TONS of videos where he writes something and explains how he does it.

He's also a cool guy, we have a lot of the same gear....we also share a love of 80's synth-pop and New-Wave/Disco era KISS.

Just let me know when you want to talk to him and I'll take his d!ck out of my mouth for 5 minutes......BUH-DUM-CRASH!!!

Lighten up..........C'mon, everyone's so tense around here these days.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I think he's your man (If you're for real (Budget))
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
How much money will you pay me?
I will give you production points NOT to work with him.

(-Subject to line 3 paragraph 2 "Recoupable non-advance to be re-captured vis a vis mechanical royalties not earned, up to, but not in excess of twice the amount of "projected" earnings (Line 6 paragraph 5, Projected vs actual) or production point income the sum of which will be established via *"Projected" earnings" x "Recoupable non-advance)

Uhhh.....I think you owe me money bra.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:

the other was a soul-grinding dirge of 16-bit CRAP.
Even worse, was The English Beat's Special Beat Service and Herb Albert's Rise recorded on the 3M digital recorder - which was not even true 16 bit...atrocious sound (love the music though!)

When I listen to Money for Nothing now I think the lyrics should be "I want my...I want my...I want my MP3"

Once again...a thread is hijacked and turned into an "Analog vs. Digital" debate!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

(-Subject to line 3 paragraph 2 "Recoupable non-advance to be re-captured vis a vis mechanical royalties not earned, up to, but not in excess of twice the amount of "projected" earnings (Line 6 paragraph 5, Projected vs actual) or production point income the sum of which will be established via *"Projected" earnings" x "Recoupable non-advance)

I don't owe you nothin'
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

I don't owe you nothin'
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Did some 80s remix work in the past please do link some content about the material to be mixed, i can be reached at [email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search