The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a drummer to create Kate Bush drums Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 29th March 2019
Gear Nut

Looking for a drummer to create Kate Bush drums

Running up that hill... the drums in that! its pretty unique. Anyone down?
Old 29th March 2019
Lives for gear

That drummer will have to play a digital kit with very low fi 8 bit samples though. And very in sync, because those are sequenced. She probably played multiple keys for the drums, like different sequences on different keys.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
That drummer will have to play a digital kit with very low fi 8 bit samples though. And very in sync, because those are sequenced. She probably played multiple keys for the drums, like different sequences on different keys.
Linn Drum maybe ... try some of those samples ... until someone says it is different !! hahq
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Linn Drum maybe ... try some of those samples ... until someone says it is different !! hahq
Very high possibility yes. Maybe sampled into the Fairlight.
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
Very high possibility yes. Maybe sampled into the Fairlight.
makes total sense for the time and era of gear used .. always liked that tune !!!

kate bush on peter gabriel record .. Don't Give UP .. love it .. go Kate !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

imo there might be a couple of kick pulses which are sequenced samples, but the rest sounds like played concert toms and snare. that's why such little information in the whole track can orchestrate the vocal line so effectively. the drum shells are humming along to the vocal and that kind of thing is really hard to program. it might be hard to find a drummer with concert toms.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Kate's Kit

Kate actually employs all the above! A lot of her drum patterns are multi sequenced on her Fairlight, one sound at at a time. Add to this some Linn LM2 basic patterns and fills from a well played Pearl kit with deep toms.

I have been able to get very close to the sound of her drum patterns/sounds on "Hounds Of Love" using a combination of Roland V-Drums that I have intensely edited combined with a Korg Wavedrum World pad and my Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit.

Having gone there, still a very tall order to go where Kate has gone. She is absolutely BRILLIANT!

Cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumantics View Post
I have been able to get very close to the sound of her drum patterns/sounds on "Hounds Of Love" using a combination of Roland V-Drums that I have intensely edited combined with a Korg Wavedrum World pad and my Yamaha Rock Tour Custom kit.

Having gone there, still a very tall order to go where Kate has gone. She is absolutely BRILLIANT!
off topic question but how do you find the Wavedrum World pad in contrast to the standard ?.

I programmed the sound for the keyboard part some time back and played it over the original, because I was interested in how it behaved as a keyboard sound and how it's voiced through the verse. it's just a short section but might be useful. it doesn't have the .. it's you and me baby .. section though. I mainly wanted the sound so I didn't do the whole song.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...-t-hill-b1.mp3
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara93 View Post
Running up that hill... the drums in that! its pretty unique. Anyone down?
Why not cut to the chase and use a bodhran?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Why not cut to the chase and use a bodhran?
I don't think the OP is intending to play any of these parts themselves. the OP is asking if other people might be able to.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Muser,

The Korg World version has more options for the Afro/Mediterranean/Levant patches than the original. I also find it easier to edit and sequence.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

you guys look like you'd be a blast to work with.

cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

That would not be so difficult to do.
The main rhythm goes for most of the tune.

There are lots of samples available for those old drum machines.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hey all, I didnt even see this had any replies! Anyone know if Kate produced most her beats herself? Thats admirable...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search