The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Final Year project - help - mixes
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Final Year project - help - mixes

Hello, im a student in england and my dissertation tutor advised me to pt this on here. i am needing several people to complete two mixes and a survey for me. one session is a live studio band recording (multi-tracked but played at the same time) of a song with some overdubs. whilst the other is a multi-track where each instrument is recorded seperately. i know it is short notice but i need them back by monday 12pm EST (5PM GMT). you can use either logic or pro-tools but only the stock plug-ins. this is due to i need the sessions as well as the bounced mixes to compare and write up my findings.you can take as long on each mix as you want as long as i get it back by monday. this maybe good for people who fancy a it of a mix practise or a challenge. Unfortunately, there is no incentive involved but hope you will help a fellow engineer with his research for his dissertation. the mixes will be analysed as my dissertation is to do with the ways people deal with mixing two tracks from two different recording techniques. i have attached the link to this thread and send either send me a downloadable link with a zip folder of the completed work from a cloud drive or via wetransfer to the email address, [email protected]

Stems for both tracks:questionnaire-feedback.zip - Google Drive
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Are you asking us to mix your project for free ? I just don’t see anywhere the mention of budget.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Now I've seen everything....
Old 1st March 2019
what uni are you at? I'd like to contact them so they can expel you
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
In serious universities professors have to agree before a student starts a project. I would expel the so called "professor"...
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
Are you asking us to mix your project for free ? I just don’t see anywhere the mention of budget.
hello, unfortuantely its a project so no budget.
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Now I've seen everything....
what do you mean?

my project tutor told me to post it on here due to i have to analyse the mixes and try find a common ground on how people produce
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
Hello,

think you will find my tutor told me to post it on here as the point of my dissertation is looking how people deal with mixing two tracks done from two different recording techniques and i have several other students at my university doing it i just need more external sources to analyse.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtaylorfyp View Post
you can use either logic or pro-tools but only the stock plug-ins.
Pity, so much more good DAWs out there...
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

I would say that the normal procedure for higher education in these cases is to have students in different programs and at different levels collaborate. In other words if there is class for mixing then those students would get the tracks you're talking about and do mixes. They would be evaluated on their mix skills according to their course requirements. You would get access to their mixes for analysis according to your requirements.

It just looks "odd" when you're asking strangers to do work for free, even if it's just to make your studies go smoothly.
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Pity, so much more good DAWs out there...
i know i agree. but my tutor wants me to use uni software to analyse and they are the only two DAWs
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I would say that the normal procedure for higher education in these cases is to have students in different programs and at different levels collaborate. In other words if there is class for mixing then those students would get the tracks you're talking about and do mixes. They would be evaluated on their mix skills according to their course requirements. You would get access to their mixes for analysis according to your requirements.

It just looks "odd" when you're asking strangers to do work for free, even if it's just to make your studies go smoothly.
i understand where you are coming from but i have to look at different levels and have internal uni students doing it and some external sources
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
my project tutor told me to post it on here due to i have to analyse the mixes and try find a common ground on how people produce
Mr.project tutor is teaching you to devalue our work and expect audio professionals to work for free. The fact you also gave us a “deadline” is quite frankly a bit insulting.
I think that’s actually adding to part of the problem as a whole for the newer generations who expect music for free, engineers to work for free, musicians to perform for “exposure” etc.
It devalues our craft.

I would suggest that if you have a personal friend who can help you out on your project then you should try going that route.

I hope you can appreciate where I’m coming from with this one. I don’t intend to be rude, but maybe just give you a perspective from our end of things how so often people expect so much from us and not compensate us for our work.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

To do a proper analysis you would need your sources mixed by professional engineers and to find a common ground you would need a good amount of mixes. I may be wrong, but I seriously do not think that enough pro will show up, whith the DAW's you requested, and do 2 mixes for free. I wonder if your tutor really understands how long it takes to do a proper mix. I'm sorry to be polemic, but I really find the attitude of your tutor extremely unprofessional. It saddens me he asked you to come here with that kind of request. He should teach you the value of the work of audio engineers, he's doing exactly the opposite. I wonder which university is promoting that kind of attitude and I would really like to know the name of it. I want to be clear, I'm not blaming you. You received an assignment and you are trying to do your best. I think the assignment is putting you in a bad position here on GS and I'm questioning the professionality of the ones who gave you that assignment. I wonder if they work for free, as that would basically be the only valid justification for their request.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was it not an idea to join one of those "duelling mixes" programmes?
You can hear many different mixes of the same material there.

I don't think it's free though, but neither are the writing utensils, laptop, etc., that you need as a student.
Also, it most probably is too short notice for that now anyway, not to mention that a better (long term) planning than a over-the-weekend-gathering of the study material would be required to do a serious analysis.

Success.
Old 1st March 2019
Quote:
Hello,

think you will find my tutor told me to post it on here as the point of my dissertation is looking how people deal with mixing two tracks done from two different recording techniques and i have several other students at my university doing it i just need more external sources to analyse.
really? what are the two different recording techniques used? where were they recorded?
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Nut

This is some sort of phishing scam right?
We download those files and then *poof* all of our expensive licenses disappear off of our iLoks right? Or our hard drives lock up demanding we pay a bitcoin ransom?
Or all of our itunes files are replaced with copies of "Never Gonna Give You Up"?

No thanks, but uh, good luck
Old 5th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
Mr.project tutor is teaching you to devalue our work and expect audio professionals to work for free. The fact you also gave us a “deadline” is quite frankly a bit insulting.
I think that’s actually adding to part of the problem as a whole for the newer generations who expect music for free, engineers to work for free, musicians to perform for “exposure” etc.
It devalues our craft.

I would suggest that if you have a personal friend who can help you out on your project then you should try going that route.

I hope you can appreciate where I’m coming from with this one. I don’t intend to be rude, but maybe just give you a perspective from our end of things how so often people expect so much from us and not compensate us for our work.
hello,

the only reason i gave a deadline as i had to analyse them and hand in my reports on thursday. and i get where you are coming from but this is the newbies bit so i thought i would be helpful for people to have stems to have some mixing practise with and also help someone who is only just starting out in the industry with his music tech degree

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search