The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocalizr
Old 1 week ago
Vocalizr

Has anyone used Vocalizr to find a vocalist?
or how was your experience?

Vocalists & Singers, find your perfect vocalist | Vocalizr
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I have not used Vocalizr, but I've used SoundBetter and have found some people just through Google.

So in my experience, it is a crap-shoot. I have listened to vocalists demos and thought they sounded fine but they were way off when I hired them and got the stems back from them. I have also found vocalists that are really, really good. The reviews can help you filter, but I found weren't particularly indicative of their abilities. Some will go above and beyond for you, others will bang it out really quickly and it shows.

I don't know if this is what you were trying to glean, but in my experience it can be difficult and you may have to go through a number of people, depending on your song. Hopefully you are capable of transposing if you find someone that fits, and don't be afraid if you think they are struggling but have potential to suggest transposing it to a key that would be easier for them.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo2 View Post
I have not used Vocalizr, but I've used SoundBetter and have found some people just through Google.

So in my experience, it is a crap-shoot. I have listened to vocalists demos and thought they sounded fine but they were way off when I hired them and got the stems back from them. I have also found vocalists that are really, really good. The reviews can help you filter, but I found weren't particularly indicative of their abilities. Some will go above and beyond for you, others will bang it out really quickly and it shows.

I don't know if this is what you were trying to glean, but in my experience it can be difficult and you may have to go through a number of people, depending on your song. Hopefully you are capable of transposing if you find someone that fits, and don't be afraid if you think they are struggling but have potential to suggest transposing it to a key that would be easier for them.
ya that's what I was thinking, or predicting.
Thank you, your comment was helpful. Something I'll keep in mind for future projects.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

It's a good website. The main advantage is to collaborate through a trusted company that will avoid you potential misadventures. For example, if the singer behaves improperly or deliver crap stems, you will get your money back.

Regarding singers quality, well, everything depends on your expectations. There are definitely a few gems out there, and some are wiling to work for 100$. In overall, you will find 4 types of person:

1- The pro. The relationship is often impersonal, 70% of them will impose their conditions ("F*ck your deal. I keep 50% on publishing no matter what"), but will quickly deliver a professional accapela. They take between 400-800$ a song.

2- The good singer. Great vocal abilities, but a few flaws (perfectible legato, a few wonky notes, etc.) that will need to be corrected with Melodyne in post-production. They are often very motivated and willing to work hard. But it will be difficult to compete with top-selling songs. Budget: 100-350$.

3- The bad singer. Poor vocal abilities & unaware of his/her current technical deficiencies. Will probably go mad if you point out their flaws to them. Budget: 20$ to 800$ (some of them have a high opinion of their skills).

4- The awesome singer who doesn't know he/she is awesome. This is the best part of vocalizr. Some people are pure amateurs who recorded a famous song cover in a little home-studio, and happen to have a golden voice. Since they are only beginning, they will be highly motivated and dedicated to your song. A pro will - on the other hand - often tend to view your project as another random gig to do. Budget: 20-100$.

Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search