The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mentorship 4 friendship
Old 25th September 2018
Here for the gear

Mentorship 4 friendship

I'm completely broke and i'm looking for a kind soul to spare the time to teach me how to produce EDM more professionally. I've been producing/mixing/mastering 6 years, recently just nonstop, but i feel like i'm at this brick wall and it's sort of depressing because i take this **** extremely seriously. There are so many mixed answers scattered across the internet, which is my only way of learning at this point (besides experimentation). All the teachers i can find locally and online that are above my skill level charge 50-100 per hour and i cannot afford that.. I'm not a friggin surgeon.. who the hell can afford to spend 100 dollars on music production an hour like seriously??? To afford that I would have to go to school for like 8 years and then 3 years after paying off loans? I would be like 35 years old.. That's definitely a no go

Anyways, my names Brandon, im 24, i'm from the bay area in CA.. we can skype or discord to screenshare, i have a mic so we can talk.
If anybody is willing, i know the ropes when it comes to basic **** like settings on a compressor and all the common plugins used in production.
I just want to take my production to the next level and it's not going fast enough.. whatever your schedule i can work around it, if you only have 10 minutes to spare a week or even less? That's perfectly fine, any help will be returned with eternal gratitude!
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Nut

If you were in the UK I would gladly help you.
Old 25th September 2018
Here for the gear

Is there any way you can help me through the internet? maybe i could just watch you work with screenshare without being a distraction or something???
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

post a link to some of your stuff so I know what we are talking about
Old 25th September 2018
Here for the gear

I want to make dubstep but a couple of those aren't necessarily that.. the last one is like some kind of crappy techno an old teacher was having me make, he was trying to teach me psytrance and i just wasn't trying to learn that genre tbh so i just threw it together cuz it was my "homework" the other ones are kinda like what i'm trying to do even though they are just short sections without much variation, i was just trying to work on my mixing skills which suck, i usually just throw chorus' together so i can try and master it too for practice... i know my stuff sucks, thats why i'm looking for help

Verse1 by KoaSoa | Koa Soa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Random Snippit by KoaSoa | Koa Soa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

SuperGooder by KoaSoa | Koa Soa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Techno Trance Thing by KoaSoa | Koa Soa | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I would be willing to make something else than dubstep for the sake of learning how to produce, like if you made house music or regular trance music or something or EDMish trap music i would be down, i just want to get better, you could teach me POP for all i care
Old 26th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon203111 View Post
I just want to take my production to the next level and it's not going fast enough..
This way of thinking is in direct conflict with everything you probably want out of music production.

It's not about the destination, brother. You should try your very best to whole heartedly enjoy the journey. Learning, much like art, is a beautiful experience. One that should be soaked in and enjoyed every step of the way.. not to be rushed.
Does a flower beautifully bloom, if someone were to pry it open before it was ready to unfurl?

Enjoy the experience. We should never stop learning, no matter how much we think we know.
Old 26th September 2018
Here for the gear

i’ve been practicing for years and i know that if i had mentoring i would be past the point i am now. I understand it’s an art form and to branch off and learn your own way makes you unique, but great ideas are built upon the great ideas of others. Take a look at olympic gold and silver medalists, i doubt any of them are self taught, are they still performing art? Are they still unique in their form? I would have to say yes. They’re constantly working with a mentor supervising their every move.. i need every advantage i can get..
Old 3rd October 2018
you're in the right forum, but you might be asking the wrong questions. My piano teachers, engineering and bass instructors and so forth taught me the methods, not so much the creative side of the house. They occasionally "forced" improvisation but the creative side is a self journey, unlike olympic athletes.

What has helped me in the past, is find like minded or even different people, locally who have a targeted goal. Get your demos out there and look for collaboration. i have found that by working with different musicians, i picked up on their skills and creative ideas which helped blossom mine. Put ads on craigslist, on here, looking for artists who want to do EDM. You can share songs, co-write with each other and hopefully learn something new.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search