The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NOTOPIA Remix Contest - just for fun
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

NOTOPIA Remix Contest - just for fun

Hopefully some of you are interested in the NOTOPIA Remix Contest.

We (my band NOTOPIA) released the raw isolated recordings of every instrument on the song "Celebrate" of our album "Celebrating Life". No EQ, no compressor was added. No effects or even panning. Please play around with them, rearrange them, mix them, cut them, mangle them, put them in a different context.

In short, please play around with these files and send us your results.

The best three remixes will be released as a free download EP on our BandCamp site, of course mentioning your name as the one who created the remix. So the rules are easy. We will not sell your music, just make them available as a free download - but you will also receive only our love for creating something new from our recordings. I hope this is fair enough to be posted in this forum.

Deadline for sending in your remix is July 30, 2018. We hope you enjoy this project.

The files can be found as a free download at:
Celebrate - Remix Contest | Marc Mennigmann

All the best,
Marc
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

What tempo is this song? Kind of important if you wanna chop stuff properly
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmacias View Post
What tempo is this song? Kind of important if you wanna chop stuff properly
I know, but this is part of the challenge, as this song was not played to a metronome. For the whole record we just relied on the group feeling of tempo. But you can let your daw analyse the drum tracks which gives good indication of what the current bpm is. And from there you can even force it to a certain tempo you want to work with. Curious what you will come up with...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
How do I download, do I have to use the checkout process or is there something I'm missing? Also, since it's more of an ambient sound effect style track, does the remix have to stay in that genre; do you want a new mix in terms of production quality or a whole new musical idea using the given sounds? (which meaning of the word "remix" are you using, "re-mix" or "remix"?) Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
How do I download, do I have to use the checkout process or is there something I'm missing?
Yes, please just checkout with a price of zero.

Quote:
Also, since it's more of an ambient sound effect style track, does the remix have to stay in that genre; do you want a new mix in terms of production quality or a whole new musical idea using the given sounds? (which meaning of the word "remix" are you using, "re-mix" or "remix"?) Thanks!
We are open for any kind of creative work with our material. We already have seen some version with a lot of delay effects added, or versions with almost only the voice track used in various ways. But I could also imagine versions with added beats, or shifting the whole thing to another genre. This is something I am scretly hoping for... ;-)
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by themmstick View Post
Yes, please just checkout with a price of zero.

We are open for any kind of creative work with our material. We already have seen some version with a lot of delay effects added, or versions with almost only the voice track used in various ways. But I could also imagine versions with added beats, or shifting the whole thing to another genre. This is something I am scretly hoping for... ;-)
Sorry, I think I may have prematurely ended the "re-mix" competition.

Seriously though, can you connect me with the studio you guys recorded at because this mix sounds like it was done by the "A-team" at EMI circa 1969-72; the tracking engineer knows how to compress guitars. You guys are SO dynamic, it made it easy for me to bring out the emotion. Why is there so much artificial reverb on your album version, the ambience in that studio is absolutely gorgeous and the bleed is perfectly balanced. I really want to get in touch with whoever did the tracking.

PS - If you want me to send you the wave file, with the pre-count-in chatter cut off the beginning then PM me. I've been burned before in these mixing contests, that's why I posted here first.

PPS - the creative genre-bending "Remix" is still on the way. See SoundCloud description. :-)

Last edited by psykostx; 6 days ago at 07:21 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sorry, I think I may have prematurely ended the "re-mix" competition.

Seriously though, can you connect me with the studio you guys recorded at because this mix sounds like it was done by the "A-team" at EMI circa 1969-72; the tracking engineer knows how to compress guitars. You guys are SO dynamic, it made it easy for me to bring out the emotion. Why is there so much artificial reverb on your album version, the ambience in that studio is absolutely gorgeous and the bleed is perfectly balanced. I really want to get in touch with whoever did the tracking.
Jon,
Thanks for this clean “natural ambience” version of the song. The vibe of the whole record demanded more reverb and a lusher sound, therefore we made the aesthetical decision to not have it as clean as recorded. But it’s interesting and ear opening to hear your bare bones version.
The session was recorded at Goldsoundmusic in Hagen, Hohenlimburg in Germany. The recording engineer was Martin Werner. You will find him when you search for the studio in the net. Greetings from me please. ;-)
Anyway the guitar players also know quite well how to sound good in the studio. Mike already toured with Zappa - he may know some secrets...

Quote:
PS - If you want me to send you the wave file, with the pre-count-in chatter cut off the beginning then PM me. I've been burned before in these mixing contests, that's why I posted here first.

PPS - the creative genre-bending "Remix" is still on the way. See SoundCloud description. :-)
Yes, please send the WAV file along with the creative version. Really looking forward to that one, too...

Best,
Marc
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Jon,
Thanks for this clean “natural ambience” version of the song. The vibe of the whole record demanded more reverb and a lusher sound, therefore we made the aesthetical decision to not have it as clean as recorded. But it’s interesting and ear opening to hear your bare bones version.
The session was recorded at Goldsoundmusic in Hagen, Hohenlimburg in Germany. The recording engineer was Martin Werner. You will find him when you search for the studio in the net. Greetings from me please. ;-)
Anyway the guitar players also know quite well how to sound good in the studio. Mike already toured with Zappa - he may know some secrets...

Yes, please send the WAV file along with the creative version. Really looking forward to that one, too...

Best,
Marc
Sure thanks for noticing how bare bones it really is. Not a single EQ or filter on that mix. Have an La2a sidechained to duck the snare out of the overheads, and the drums running through a brickwall limiter. The trick to getting solid drums without eq is the polarity, most people get it backwards, or do it "by ear" which is not correct. The only other plugins are a "valve overdrive" and EMT 124 Plate Reverb simulation on vocals. The rest is just using panning and bleed to give depth and letting the bass guitar breathe to push the dynamics. It really makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up during those swells haha

Anyways I'd like to mix your whole album if that's cool, you've made a fan out of me. You nailed that King Crimson/Pink Floyd 1970 vibe that so many miss the mark with. Let you know when the psytrance remix and ambient trance remix versions are done ;-)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Best,
Marc
Haven't decided if it's done so I'll post it here for now until I'm ready to enter it. Kinda mixed the ambient and psytrance versions, definitely a bit burnt out at this point haha Let me know what you think, I tried to keep it dark and weird like the original.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search