The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Reaper the best DAW software?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Although, some posts were recently deleted as blickering..
Here is one for Robert. There is very easy way to add insert effects, via right click context menu, here you can see listed all plugins, you've previously put to custom folders. This way, you can skip track FX dialog, which you don't like.

(image removed for space)

Other related operations can be also done directly on mixer without this dialog with appropriate keyboard modifiers (shift for bypass, alt for deletion, ctrl for copy of insert effect to another slot, no modifier - open of particular effect UI).

Michal
Thank you for this. I have actually asked TWICE on the reaper forums of there was a way to avoid the dialog and I was told no!

I've also brought it up how annoying I thought it was exactly SEVEN times on gearslutz, nobody until now has corrected me.

Thank you very much for this. I'm quite glad that I was incorrect on this point.

edit: I also think you're replying to me from another thread, I didn't bring up the FX dialog in this thread, but over in Good DAW for mixing, not for production?

Last edited by Robert Randolph; 25th January 2015 at 05:32 PM..
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyface View Post
Yes, coming from an analog tape paradigm, but Reaper has always been about non-destructive editing/recording; that's actually what makes it great for beginners, they don't have to worry about ruining anything.
I get that, but I've actually never used tape in my life (I'm 24). Even with "tape mode" enabled in Reaper, recording is still somewhat non-destructive. If you only record over the beginning or end of a previous take, you can always move/delete the new take and move the edge of the previous take to its original spot. Of course, if you record over the entire take, it's gone, so there's that.

I can see why the take system is appealing to some, but for me, it's much simpler to have one soloed track for recording and drag good takes to separate muted tracks. I delete subpar or unwanted takes instantly.

But that's just my preference, I'm sure some people love using takes in Reaper.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Hey guys, for the longest time I kept hearing people say that Reaper is free. I just looked on their site and it says there are two different licenses available.

I guess Reaper changed their policy or something?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
Hey guys, for the longest time I kept hearing people say that Reaper is free. I just looked on their site and it says there are two different licenses available.

I guess Reaper changed their policy or something?
It's never been free. It's just more that case that nobody ever has to pay for it to use it into perpetuity so (as a purely practical matter) it's free. It has a nag screen that you can push off to the side and ignore.

But no, it's never really been literally free once they started selling it.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
It's never been free. It's just more that case that nobody ever has to pay for it to use it into perpetuity so (as a purely practical matter) it's free. It has a nag screen that you can push off to the side and ignore.

But no, it's never really been literally free once they started selling it.
From their website:

"No Risk
Please download the fully functional evaluation version of REAPER before purchasing.
The evaluation version of REAPER is complete and uncrippled. There are no artificial interruptions or restrictions, and you can save and load projects normally.

We believe in giving you a fair chance to make sure that REAPER works correctly with your hardware and suits your workflow.

Lightweight Installation
The REAPER installer simply copies REAPER and its support files to disk. It does not install anything except itself.
If after 60 days you decide that REAPER is not for you, simply delete it.

If you decide that REAPER is for you, you must purchase a license.

No Intrusive Copy Protection
We believe that technological enforcement of copy protection is not in the best interest of our customers.
The evaluation version of REAPER is fully functional, even without a license key."

And this really bothers me when people don't pay for software when clearly the developers have assumed a lot of risk in releasing in a non-crippled, honour system manner.

And then you read about everyone bitching about iLok and...

Last edited by gravyface; 25th January 2015 at 08:29 PM..
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Like I said in the post you directly quoted... "It's never been free."

That doesn't actually mean that many hundreds of people using it probably aren't ever paying for it? "Free" in a purely practical (not legal) sense means...

"Nobody ever has to pay for it to use it."

In that regard, left to the morality of the user, Reaper is certainly kinda free for anyone who chooses not to pay for it since it never stops working? All the rest are not "free to use into perpetuity" because they stop working after 30 days. In the real world the rest of all that is semantics.

"You must purchase a license." is just five words, there is literally no enforcement of that so "must" should probably be 'should'. You "must" purchase a Cubase license or it will stop working.

Cockos is the only software company I even know of how does that with any commercial software.

Last edited by Lawrence; 25th January 2015 at 08:46 PM..
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Like I said in the post you directly quoted... "It's never been free."

That doesn't actually mean that many hundreds of people using it probably aren't ever paying for it? "Free" in a purely practical (not legal) sense means...

"Nobody ever has to pay for it to use it."

In that regard, left to the morality of the user, Reaper is certainly kinda free for anyone who chooses not to pay for it since it never stops working? All the rest are not "free to use into perpetuity" because they stop working after 30 days. In the real world the rest of all that is semantics.

"You must purchase a license." is just five words, there is literally no enforcement of that so "must" should probably be 'should'. You "must" purchase a Cubase license or it will stop working.
Well no, it just means you are operating it illegally.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LejonBrames View Post
Well no, it just means you are operating it illegally.
Yes, it means the license scheme - easily allows - anyone to operate it illegally because it never stops working.

Hence my comment "left to the morality of the user".

Get over the semantics guys. Reaper is a great product and worth way more than the $60 they ask for it, but it is in fact the only commercial software I personally know of that keeps working forever even if you never pay for it... with no consequences. It never stops working.

Again, everything else is semantics and philosophy. As a practical matter it's "free to use forever" for anyone so inclined.

Should everyone pay for it? In a perfect world everyone would, yes.

I think at the very least they should stop the unlicensed copies from going full screen so the leechers can't hide the title bar that says "Unlicensed".

Last edited by Lawrence; 25th January 2015 at 09:31 PM..
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes, it means the license scheme - easily allows - anyone to operate it illegally because it never stops working.

Hence my comment "left to the morality of the user".

Get over the semantics guys. Reaper is a great product and worth way more than the $60 they ask for it, but it is in fact the only commercial software I personally know of that keeps working forever even if you never pay for it... with no consequences. It never stops working.

Again, everything else is semantics and philosophy. As a practical matter it's "free to use forever" for anyone so inclined.

Should everyone pay for it? In a perfect world everyone would, yes.

I think at the very least they should stop the unlicensed copies from going full screen so the leechers can't hide the title bar that says "Unlicensed".
You know, for someone who wants us to get over the semantics, you've certainly mastered the art of obfuscation.

Answer me this: have you paid for it? That'll clear up your definition of "free" in a hurry.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

First of all, if you have an issue understanding my comments, that's your issue, not mine. I said, multiple times, Reaper is not (technically) free. The "semantics" is people stating what we all know - that it's not legally free - over and over as if that means really anything in the real world to all the people likely using it without paying because they can.

To your question, yes. I'm on my second Reaper license. I paid because I wanted to, not because I had to.

Been following the app for some years now. Occasionally mix in it. Great product.
Old 26th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
it's much simpler to have one soloed track for recording and drag good takes to separate muted tracks. I delete subpar or unwanted takes instantly.

But that's just my preference, I'm sure some people love using takes in Reaper.
I used to do that drag-takes-to-new-tracks thing, but just in the last couple of weeks I've started working with how Reaper does takes and I kind of wish I'd learned it before. Having the multiple takes appear within the same track, then splitting and highlighting the parts of each take you want to keep, and then cropping to the selected takes, all ends up being much more effective than what I used to do across multiple channels.

For all the nice things I have to say about Reaper, I have to admit the MIDI editor seems super basic. I'm having trouble doing things like selecting a block of notes. Having said that, I haven't bothered looking at any documentation, or (ugh) YouTube tutorials, so hopefully I'm just missing something hiding in plain sight.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Thank you for this. I have actually asked TWICE on the reaper forums of there was a way to avoid the dialog and I was told no!

I've also brought it up how annoying I thought it was exactly SEVEN times on gearslutz, nobody until now has corrected me.

Thank you very much for this. I'm quite glad that I was incorrect on this point.

edit: I also think you're replying to me from another thread, I didn't bring up the FX dialog in this thread, but over in Good DAW for mixing, not for production?
Sorry about wrong thread. Actually I did screenshot and returned to my computer with browser, found several deleted posts here and I put it to wrong place by my mistake..
It is strange, that no one answered it before me. You can also use very similar context menu via right click on FX button at track panel (so it is not necessary to use mixer window).
But I have to confess, i mostly use the track FX window, you don't like Mainly because of its additional functionality like keyword filtering (which is quite addictive for me), bypassing of multiple effects for comparison (you can select several insert effects at left side of FX window with shift or mouse drag and then ctrl+b keystroke will toggle its bypass switch.. so if you for instance select one active and one bypassed effect, keystroke will flip effects).
Additionally you can make this FX window changing its scope according to selected tracks. This can be set at "Preferences/Plugins/Only allow one FX chain window open at a time". For ProTools like behavior also check "Preferences/Plugins/Automatically resize FX windows: down".

Michal
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
I used to do that drag-takes-to-new-tracks thing, but just in the last couple of weeks I've started working with how Reaper does takes and I kind of wish I'd learned it before. Having the multiple takes appear within the same track, then splitting and highlighting the parts of each take you want to keep, and then cropping to the selected takes, all ends up being much more effective than what I used to do across multiple channels.

For all the nice things I have to say about Reaper, I have to admit the MIDI editor seems super basic. I'm having trouble doing things like selecting a block of notes. Having said that, I haven't bothered looking at any documentation, or (ugh) YouTube tutorials, so hopefully I'm just missing something hiding in plain sight.
Yup, track lanes are great.

I've actually altered a composition by how things sounded as a result of listening to lanes simultaneously.

MIDI is pretty basic, which is why I'm in the process of learning Ableton for solo/electronic/ITB compositions: just seems to be quite ahead of where Reaper is at currently.
Old 27th January 2015
Right-click and drag selects notes in the MIDI editor, Google revealed. Easy enough, but totally non-intuitive.

My wife is recording some music for a theater performance, and she'd recorded the accordion parts as MIDI using a Sub 37 as a controller, because she liked the feel of it best amongst the keyboards I have. We sprung for a VSTi by EastWest and plopped it in there, and it was a total disaster. Notes were hanging, or triggering late, all kinds of crap - but when you played the instrument in Play (the standalone host) it seemed to work fine. Initial Google results weren't promising - lots of people were having this problem with things like Kontakt and EastWest, no one had a solution. So I added ReaControlMIDI, which has a MIDI log in it, and that showed a bunch of weird extraneous stuff being passed into the VST - channel pressure and pitch wheel, mostly. I poked around at the MIDI filter but didn't really get any results, and that's when I (re)discovered that you can write plugins for Reaper in JS. I found someone's example of filtering out velocity, modified it to filter out pressure and pitch wheel, plugged into the insert effects, and voila - all that was coming through now were note on and note off messages, and everything sounded great.

It's pretty cool that I was able to write my own functional plugin, no matter how simple and derivative, in under ten minutes
Old 26th April 2015
After learning about Reaper here on the forums, I downloaded it. Been playing around with it for a few days, and I really like it. Super-efficient on my computer resources. For $60, this DAW rocks, although I will keep my ProTools too, at least for now. I was a little skeptical at first, but I am fast becoming a believer .
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear
I like the look and concept of Reaper.

It's cheap, eccentric and has a neat cult following.

I like to stay down with the kids so during downtime I open it up and try to decipher a bit more of the puzzle.
I love UNDO in the mixer and the way plugins are implemented is great as well.

Fun app, I use it for song sketches on my laptop.
Old 27th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
I'm a Reaper fan. In the 2000s, I vascillated between Cubase and Vegas - back when Vegas was the multitrack companion to Sound Forge. Cubase was clunky, the interface was horrible, and it crashed all the time. Vegas, by comparison, was stupid fast. Written in Assembly, so the legend goes, and by a team that was really good about quality control.
Funny. I think vegas was clunky and crashing all the time. Cubase never let me down.
Old 14th October 2019
My answer is that yes, REAPER is the best DAW (for me); but REAPER may not be the best DAW for you.

Most people might want a DAW that you install, tweak 2 or 3 settings, and then you're good to go. REAPER is more like the work horse that can do everything, but requires the most amount of learning and dedication. The basic layout may look like its from Windows 98, but that means less CPU usage. Additionally, the GUI is able to be customized with tons of templates that are built & updated by the community. It can look like whatever DAW you want (which ever is your favorite), since anybody can design their own GUI/UI/scripts/tools/templates, for it.

The Open Source element of REAPER allows it to be updated and developed by a community, rather than a small amount of paid engineers. This means that its currently being actively improved, at a faster rate than any other DAW app's; and it means that its a lot more likely to continue to be developed, in the event that financial institutions collapse.

Its $60 for the individual license... but the fully functioning program is available for free download. After 30 days, opening the program brings up a nagging window that reminds you about the $60 license. The window makes you wait for 6 seconds, when the app is opened... but other than that, the entire program works 100% as the $60 version does.

I would say that REAPER has more over-all functionality than any other DAW; and there are pretty much no other DAW's out there, that have nearly as many options for expandability/capability/configurability.

I believe that the audio engine that is within REAPER is superior to any other DAW's audio engine playback device (as far as functionality, options, and quality of the sound playback/recording/effecting/rendering devices). It hosts audio plugins (vst etc) with the highest possible 64 bit ("double float", I think it might be called) quality. Additionally, plugins require the lowest amount of CPU, than any other DAW (for me, it ran the same plugins as Ableton, with half the CPU usage... and they seemed to sound a tad more crispy/clean/clear/pleasant, but that may just be my perception playing tricks). Every other DAW uses about the same amount of CPU as Ableton, so none other is close to REAPER. This means the poor-man's computer can allow twice the amount of capabilities, just with vst plugins alone.

The options for stretching/syncing/chopping/converting to MIDI/file hosting/file browsing are pretty much untouchable, by the other DAW's.

REAPER can be ReRouted or ReWired to Ableton (or, to any other DAW or Audio App)... so if you want virtual instruments from your other DAW's, you can easily achieve runnig REAPER along side your other DAW.

Because of the open source components of REAPER, I pretty much assume that any feature that other DAW apps bring to light can be easily reverse engineered (and will be, without legal repercussions) by the REAPER team.

That being said, there are a few things that REAPER doesn't yet have, that are in other DAW apps:

There are a couple of featues that Pro Tools and Cubase releases have brought -- and the dev's of REAPER have been working on adding those things to version 6.0, for quite a while. Its so customizable, that it can be off putting to some people; but if you like attention to whatever detail you can think of... having options for everything, including expansion via 3rd party developers.

REAPER can not quite function as Ableton Live does, in scene view (I may be wrong about this... as I haven't recently googled it). However, I believe that there is also some form of template that cases REAPER to do some things like Ableton, in scene view, does (haven't googled it lately). I've noticed that Ableton's warp is different than REAPER's; but there are also 3rd party dev'd tools for REAPER, that offer other unique variations of warping/glitching...

NINJAM are built right into the DAW. Jam and record separate stems, with friends, from across the world. Record as many audio tracks as your audio interface can do, and record each one separately... sending that data to each person that is playing along, within NINJAM.

Global wet/dry (parallel processing, 0 to 100%) knob at the top right of every Plugin window. Global bypass, right next to it (shutting the plugin off, COMPLETELY [some plugins have a Bypass, but the audio signal still passes through a bunch of crap... causing unnecessary harm to the audio. The damage of each process causes a tiny amount of BITs to be lost, and this is generally accepted as such a small amount of harm, that its inaudible. However, it doesn't just add up, within huge mixes, but it can start to multiply... sometimes.

Can select multiple plugins and hit CTRL + B to bypass switch on/off, all selected.

You can save effects chains, and categorize them.

You can view your list of plugins by company name, category type, and more.

I haven't quite gotten REAPER down yet, after some 11 months of using it (after using Ableton primarily, for about 10 years... and over the years I've become fairly familiar with Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic Pro (amongst others). The one thing that I miss from Ableton the most, is the easy functioning of clicking rectangle of the main upper/body section the zooming in & out, via click & vertical drag for zoom & left/right for scroll. I tried REAPER's Ableton template, and it didn't quite cut the mustard... but its still being developed and I haven't tried it for several months (maybe its better now).
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
My answer is that yes, REAPER is the best DAW (for me); but REAPER may not be the best DAW for you.

Most people might want a DAW that you install, tweak 2 or 3 settings, and then you're good to go. REAPER is more like the work horse that can do everything, but requires the most amount of learning and dedication. The basic layout may look like its from Windows 98, but that means less CPU usage. Additionally, the GUI is able to be customized with tons of templates that are built & updated by the community. It can look like whatever DAW you want (which ever is your favorite), since anybody can design their own GUI/UI/scripts/tools/templates, for it.

The Open Source element of REAPER allows it to be updated and developed by a community, rather than a small amount of paid engineers. This means that its currently being actively improved, at a faster rate than any other DAW app's; and it means that its a lot more likely to continue to be developed, in the event that financial institutions collapse.

Its $60 for the individual license... but the fully functioning program is available for free download. After 30 days, opening the program brings up a nagging window that reminds you about the $60 license. The window makes you wait for 6 seconds, when the app is opened... but other than that, the entire program works 100% as the $60 version does.

I would say that REAPER has more over-all functionality than any other DAW; and there are pretty much no other DAW's out there, that have nearly as many options for expandability/capability/configurability.

I believe that the audio engine that is within REAPER is superior to any other DAW's audio engine playback device (as far as functionality, options, and quality of the sound playback/recording/effecting/rendering devices). It hosts audio plugins (vst etc) with the highest possible 64 bit ("double float", I think it might be called) quality. Additionally, plugins require the lowest amount of CPU, than any other DAW (for me, it ran the same plugins as Ableton, with half the CPU usage... and they seemed to sound a tad more crispy/clean/clear/pleasant, but that may just be my perception playing tricks). Every other DAW uses about the same amount of CPU as Ableton, so none other is close to REAPER. This means the poor-man's computer can allow twice the amount of capabilities, just with vst plugins alone.

The options for stretching/syncing/chopping/converting to MIDI/file hosting/file browsing are pretty much untouchable, by the other DAW's.

REAPER can be ReRouted or ReWired to Ableton (or, to any other DAW or Audio App)... so if you want virtual instruments from your other DAW's, you can easily achieve runnig REAPER along side your other DAW.

Because of the open source components of REAPER, I pretty much assume that any feature that other DAW apps bring to light can be easily reverse engineered (and will be, without legal repercussions) by the REAPER team.

That being said, there are a few things that REAPER doesn't yet have, that are in other DAW apps:

There are a couple of featues that Pro Tools and Cubase releases have brought -- and the dev's of REAPER have been working on adding those things to version 6.0, for quite a while. Its so customizable, that it can be off putting to some people; but if you like attention to whatever detail you can think of... having options for everything, including expansion via 3rd party developers.

REAPER can not quite function as Ableton Live does, in scene view (I may be wrong about this... as I haven't recently googled it). However, I believe that there is also some form of template that cases REAPER to do some things like Ableton, in scene view, does (haven't googled it lately). I've noticed that Ableton's warp is different than REAPER's; but there are also 3rd party dev'd tools for REAPER, that offer other unique variations of warping/glitching...

NINJAM are built right into the DAW. Jam and record separate stems, with friends, from across the world. Record as many audio tracks as your audio interface can do, and record each one separately... sending that data to each person that is playing along, within NINJAM.

Global wet/dry (parallel processing, 0 to 100%) knob at the top right of every Plugin window. Global bypass, right next to it (shutting the plugin off, COMPLETELY [some plugins have a Bypass, but the audio signal still passes through a bunch of crap... causing unnecessary harm to the audio. The damage of each process causes a tiny amount of BITs to be lost, and this is generally accepted as such a small amount of harm, that its inaudible. However, it doesn't just add up, within huge mixes, but it can start to multiply... sometimes.

Can select multiple plugins and hit CTRL + B to bypass switch on/off, all selected.

You can save effects chains, and categorize them.

You can view your list of plugins by company name, category type, and more.

I haven't quite gotten REAPER down yet, after some 11 months of using it (after using Ableton primarily, for about 10 years... and over the years I've become fairly familiar with Pro Tools, Cubase, and Logic Pro (amongst others). The one thing that I miss from Ableton the most, is the easy functioning of clicking rectangle of the main upper/body section the zooming in & out, via click & vertical drag for zoom & left/right for scroll. I tried REAPER's Ableton template, and it didn't quite cut the mustard... but its still being developed and I haven't tried it for several months (maybe its better now).
You bumped a 4.5 year old thread.

IMO, REAPER's UX is bad, and that's where beginners/upstarts are lost with it.

The iconography is bad. It has the worse menus I've seen in a commercial application (ever). The developers don't even bother setting up decent toolbars for the various modules (like the MIDI editor). The menu and tool bar editors are awful. The FX Chain window is dreadful. The options are cramped to all hell, and organization could (should) be more granular. The basic Plug-Ins are a mediocre UX - though serviceable.

Themes can only get you so far. The base UI and UX still needs to be decent, or you're basically putting lipstick on a pig.

Being a 60MB package isn't a selling point in the days of Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi AC, and cheap-as-dirt thumb drives with 128GB+ capacity over a USB-3 bus.

They need to learn Qt and redesign their app. RAM and CPU usage for my orchestral template is very similar between Cakewalk by BandLab and REAPER, so I'm not buying that, either...

The market has also changed. Windows users can get, basically, SONAR Platinum for $0. Basic pugins, instruments and synths that sound good are fairly cheap. Free stuff today is comparable to commercial options 8 years ago...

For professional use, REAPER is not $60. It's ~$225. That's more expensive than Logic Pro X. Samplitude is routinely on sale for $149-199 (the Suite SKU). Studio One cross grade is $199 until end of year. what DAW doesn't offer cross grade discounts? Cubase Pro is only $339 on cross grade.

REAPER has great merits, but people are grossly misrepresenting the pricing. $60 is for people making $20k or less with the application, which is not any professional using it as their main DAW.

Lastly, beginners and upstarts who care about pricing will also care about bundled content, because you can't get Synths as good as Alchemy for free, and EXS24 is still well supported, while most free Sample Libraries in NKI format require the full version of Kontakt.

The Plug-Ins and Synths/instruments that most commercial DAWs bundle are quite serviceable. Being able to use that defers cost. Off you can't make good Music with the Apple, Avid/AIR, or Steinberg stuff Logic Pro, Pro Tools, or Cubase bundles; chances are the "better" stuff won't save you.

Money can't buy you past the learning curve, and neither can watching a few YouTube videos.

Serviceable base costs relatively little, though. Just go to Plug-In Boutique. But having consistent UIs, iconography, etc. across everything is intuitive. Studio One is a good example of a package that does this fairly well...

I like REAPER as a product, but I can't stand the UX, and I just hate looking at it. As I've stated, themes can only do so much. The developers need to do the necessary work to improve that at a base level.

The price isn't as killer as people make it seem, unless you're just a hobbyist... And most of those people haven't used enough different SAWs deeply enough to be taken serious in any conversation about which is best.

Last edited by Trensharo; 4 weeks ago at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Speling
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post
I have typed "gearslutz reaper" into google before.

Don't be afraid to leave your wisdom anywhere around here.
Old 3 weeks ago
I must have searched something like "gearslutz best daw," and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trensharo View Post
You did, too!

I don't think anything is wrong with bumping old threads, if they still hold valid subject material.

Thanks for the other information, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I have typed "gearslutz reaper" into google before.

Don't be afraid to leave your wisdom anywhere around here.
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

if the toolbar in the midi edit page was to added to, I'd suggest these additions as stock. you can use selections to swing your cursor into place and make new time selections by selected notes. I'd argue it's these kinds of intuitive selection processes, which are key to quick and accurate handling. those actions work well enough in the midi edit window imo, that you begin to desire a similar degree of accuracy in the arrange window. in any case, these are in the midi editor action list.

Move edit cursor to start of selected events
Move edit cursor to end of selected events

Mute events
select muted midi notes
Invert selection

select all events
unselect all

Move left edge of note to edit cursor
Move right edge of note to edit cursor

Script: js_Set time selection to selected events in last clicked lane.lua

zoom to content
zoom to selected
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
if the toolbar in the midi edit page was to added to, I'd suggest these additions as stock.
Good points...I'd just like to add mouse modifiers in the menu.

There are some useful and fast macros to do with your mouse and hotkeys. My most used is probably drag midi up and down vertically but no movement horizontally. It does amount to another palette of tools to mold to your workflow.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Good points...I'd just like to add mouse modifiers in the menu.

There are some useful and fast macros to do with your mouse and hotkeys. My most used is probably drag midi up and down vertically but no movement horizontally. It does amount to another palette of tools to mold to your workflow.
Right. I do handle those too, but I didn’t put those in.
imo most of these Actions are far better to have as toolbar buttons.

Move edit cursor left one pixel
Move edit cursor right one pixel

Move notes down one semitone
Move notes up one semitone

or for the last two, you could use the (ignoring scale/key) versions

one issue with the ID’s associated with some of these Actions, is that they are sometimes the same ID’s for similar operations in the arrange window focus, as the Midi Editor focus.

I can see why they might think sharing a common ID might be a good idea, but it causes issues for other use cases. issues which are probably not worth it. imo Reaper at least needs a pass through functions in both directions.

it only has one pass through FROM the Midi Editor and not one from the arrange TO the Midi Editor.

under Midi Editor this exists.
Misc: Pass through key to main window

efficient Actions to display note kinds etc, can be found in the Midi Editor by typing

Cycle

in the Arrange page, I noticed that the zoom levels become a problem if you say, have another window set load. because, if a window set is loaded where the arrange page is now only taking up half the screen, the most efficient zoom size for one window is not appropriate for the smaller one. it’s actually pretty tricky to handle that. the obvious move currently, is to set the zoom size in the smaller window reveal size. then it at least won’t be too large in one window.

I think this is probably because the creator uses large screens or more than one large screen.
so this behavior doesn’t seem an issue. but I’d argue it is an issue for a good section of users.
a well implemented change such as that, is probably not going to mess with anything and just make the experience better.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search