The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do yourselves a favor and check out REAPER multitrack software. DAW Software
Old 9th May 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Do yourselves a favor and check out REAPER multitrack software.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
ive been testing this software out for a couple of weeks now.
in my opinion its a brilliant piece of computer software engineering.
and folks are crazy if they dont at least check it out, as right now its free.
heres what impresses me.
1. the small footprint.
2. the smooth way it operates on my amd pc's.
3. the large range of features even though the midi side is under development still....(i use powertracks for midi). the audio multitracking side is highly impressive.
4. it has its own suite of impressive plug ins plus third party vst plug ins.
5. every couple of days the developer is issuing new versions.
this is an agressive development cycle.
there are many other things that impress me i dont have time or space to type about. just check it out for yourselves. or even if you dont use it as your "main squeeze", monitor its rapid rate of development. because i think this product is going to be a major contender in the pc multitrack software area.
someone on the reaper forum also turned me onto an impressive little verb called
"Aries". considering its very low pc useage i would suggest people check it out also.
a couple of other things i like about reaper. no dongle for one.
the developer really listens. and there are other nice touches amongst many like...
i can punch in "on the fly". also it has very flexible bus routing/stem possibilities.
just try it !! very impressive. (pc only.).
ps....i forgot. its already 64 bit enabled.
ive even run it under win 98.

Last edited by manning1; 9th May 2006 at 04:13 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
  #2
Gear Nut
 

i haven't tried it (yet), but don't you think the GUI looks a lot like the Sony software (Vegas, Acid)? And I really mean a LOT ...
Old 9th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 
azwun25's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneass
i haven't tried it (yet), but don't you think the GUI looks a lot like the Sony software (Vegas, Acid)? And I really mean a LOT ...

wow..this could pass as Sony Acid for sure...on that note alone i don't dig it ..although at a price tag of zero who can complain? definitely wouldn't make me ditch my Nuendo rig but for those on a budget...go for it!
Old 9th May 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 

when i was dating women before i met my wife i learnt one thing. lol.
looks can be deceiving. its HEART n' GUTS that matter.
no good haveing something pretty as your "main squeeze"
if she dont make you happy...lol.
look under the surface. lots of very usefull features.
ie heart n' guts. ...features galore.
GUI's i dont worry about.
its whether i can do what i want.
look at the track automation feature sometimes.
and the way individual wavelets can be automated within a track.
a lot of thinking i feel has gone into this by the developer.
Old 9th May 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Tibbon's Avatar
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!
Old 9th May 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Empty Planet's Avatar
 

Cool. I forwarded this to a friend who's in difficult financial straights but does good work.

Thanks for the heads up!



Cheers.


Old 9th May 2006
  #7
Lives for gear
 
azwun25's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
when i was dating women before i met my wife i learnt one thing. lol.
looks can be deceiving. its HEART n' GUTS that matter.
no good haveing something pretty as your "main squeeze"
if she dont make you happy...lol.
look under the surface. lots of very usefull features.
ie heart n' guts. ...features galore.
GUI's i dont worry about.
its whether i can do what i want.
look at the track automation feature sometimes.
and the way individual wavelets can be automated within a track.
a lot of thinking i feel has gone into this by the developer.
i can dig that but...and there is always a but....i wouldn't ditch Nuendo to run Reaper! For someone who doesn't have a budget this is no doubt a God-send.
Old 9th May 2006
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Lorddiagram's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!

dude - it's free
Old 10th May 2006
  #9
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!
Your point? If it's open-source, then grab the source and port it yourself.
Old 10th May 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Geert van den Berg's Avatar
 

I think it's very cool that someone put something like this online , I am sure it has lot of work and time into it to program this.

It doesn't matter if the GUI looks like... or if it's only for windows... Definately cool for those on a budget!
Old 10th May 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 

from my checking around on google it looks like the developer
was a creator of winamp ? can someone confirm this?
if so...it looks like he is rather nicely set in life.

thus we are not exactly talking about a rookie developer here.
the developer of reaper has been around the computer engineering block many times is my analysis.
frankly i was surprised someone decided to enter this market segment of multitrack software. as the market is already crowded.
but its an amazing effort. obviously a very seasoned developer/genius type in my opinion.
initially i was sceptical to be frank. but i KNOW a clever effort when i see it
from my engineering background. thus i'm convinced "you aint seen nothin yet"....
applies to this product...
in addition if you look on the forum the product is attracting folks with tons of studio in depth experience who are providing lots of very usefull user input as to project direction. its this intense user/developer interraction which is a very potent force in my opinion, and is resulting in a very potent product.
ie...users request something and BAM its there within a short time.
rather than users waiting a long time for a requested feature.

in summary i get rarely excited, but i'm excited on this one.
the more you use it the more it sucks you in ive found.

as to tibbons comment about mac.
tibbon...times change and technology changes.
i bet in 20 yrs multitrack software will prolly be given away in
packages of cornflakes to run on peoples super processor computers.

For the longest time if your talking major studios, PT HD was the thing in studios.
as we all are aware. in this context really the mac pc, because it didnt have the native processing power, custom dsp took up the mantle. In many respects this followed the direction of many large orgs (eg banks, govt etc) where the computers of that era were just more or less dumb data entry terminals for inputting and displaying rather than processing. I remember as far back as the early 80's at AES shows
(when the pc originally came out)...haveing intense discussions with guys in big studios and stating one day this "lil ole pc" would be a powerhouse, and being laughed at. Well it took too dam long....26 yrs....but finally both PC's and macs
are getting to be powerfull beasts.
As to how well Mac will fare in the future against the pc onslaught , only time will tell. But the big market is the pc market and prolly the developer of reaper is aware of this fact, and thus is attempting to carve out a niche in it.
you can ignore it, but the reality is folks are getting major track/plug in counts on pc's. ie...native processing.
All thats going to happen in reality tibbon is activities formerly handled by
dsp outboard will migrate (is already) into the pc more and more as more processor cores are implemented in pc's. 4/8/16 processors etc etc.
Old 11th May 2006
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!
Sometimes you just want to use/make the best tool for a job and care little what the trendies are up to

I pay twice as much for my MOPAR stuff as I would for Chevy generics, but hey
Old 14th May 2006
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!
Amazing that he wouldn't take his fledgling, free program, and go through the time and expense of porting and testing and supporting it on a platform that is already dominated by Pro Tools, Logic, and Cubase -- with Garageband offering a near-free 'beginner' multitrack environment and developed and promoted along with Logic by the maker of the hardware and OS for that market segment -- a platform that only represents 4% of the desktop computers out there.


Yeah.

That's amazing.


I'm amazed.

Really. Amazed.

Old 14th May 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
azwun25's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1
Amazing that he wouldn't take his fledgling, free program, and go through the time and expense of porting and testing and supporting it on a platform that is already dominated by Pro Tools, Logic, and Cubase -- with Garageband offering a near-free 'beginner' multitrack environment and developed and promoted along with Logic by the maker of the hardware and OS for that market segment -- a platform that only represents 4% of the desktop computers out there.

very true statement
Old 14th May 2006
  #15
Lives for gear
 

re reaper on mac.
actually i wouldnt be surprised if reaper would run on the new mac intels.
(obviously running windows). because band in a box and powertracks do apparently. and many other apps i'm sure.
Old 15th May 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I don't expect Reaper to remain freeware for very long, but the developer has promised that the demo's will always be unrestricted. Guiltware if you will, but this is very, very smart. Those who wish to steal will steal. Those who wish to pay will pay.

Dongles, iLock, Pace and Challenge/Response serve only to piss off the honest customers, and encourage the crackers to release cracked version (with viruses usually). So that serves to piss everyone off, and all that negative energy is wasted (like the Steinberg forum before they blocked it, total whinging).

I'm a Cubase SX3 user, but next time i'm forced to upgrade, i'll be looking at Reaper, because I like this guys approach. And already the features are incredible: varispeed, 64 bits internal maths ...

I hate bloated software - this seems to be really smart and efficient, and worth of support.
Old 15th May 2006
  #17
Lives for gear
 
defjamm's Avatar
 

i hope rewire will be added soon.
Old 17th May 2006
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
pipelineaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjamm
i hope rewire will be added soon.
Then you better look again, with propellerheads dragging their feet, Justin took matters into his own hands, and made ReaRoute

check out .953

hopefully reaper will still entertain rewire one day, but its working great with ReaRoute
Old 21st July 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
defjamm's Avatar
 

version 0.99 out!
Old 21st July 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 

ive had 0.945 for awhile now, it ok but im not leaving tools for it.
recomended it to a few people aqs free software to get them start on basic stuff.
biggest problem is its not stable enough for professional use, but im sure it will be fine in another year.
Old 21st July 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
d_fu's Avatar
 

The screenshot (http://www.cockos.com/reaper/images/reaper0981.gif) shows files with a ".wv" extension... Is this not standard wav format?

Daniel
Old 21st July 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
7161's Avatar
 

Quote:
Sony software (Vegas, Acid)? And I really mean a LOT
you must be using very old cracks then - same sorta header icons, but you couldnt mistake the 2

i cant scan for plugins, it always crashes for me with a HASP error when i try
Old 21st July 2006
  #23
Gear Addict
 
kelldammit's Avatar
mac guys have had metro for years anyway. not free, but very good. it's small, fast and stable. VERY capable, without breaking the bank. excellent midi, supports vst and au plugins, and has similar excellent support, with frequent updates also.
i'm glad these "little guys" are coming up with great software, regardless of platform.
hopefully, it kicks the big boys in the arse, and gets them moving in more positive directions (leaner, cleaner, faster, better features). it makes things better for all of us.
Old 21st July 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
firby's Avatar
 

I think that it is great I will look into it. But because it is not Logic Audio or Protools I have less interest in it.

It's great for people who just want to track without midi. But I think that there are already lots of softwares for the PC for tracking that are free or close to it. Traktion comes to mind.
Old 21st July 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 

I tried it and my net Pc and it really didn't workout to well, at one point as was really sceared . But I'm sure it will be fine in the future.
Old 21st July 2006
  #26
Lives for gear
 

verra...
re scared....
for any recording daw i recommend one has the net disabled.
some net cards in pc's can cause clicks/pops in the audio because they interrupt the audio process. by the way reaper gives me no probs with the net.
if you list your pc components i'll comment further. it might be something to do with your pci slots/a problem maybe, or how your pc is configged.. peace.
d fu...standard wave files.
Old 23rd July 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
verra...
re scared....
for any recording daw i recommend one has the net disabled.
some net cards in pc's can cause clicks/pops in the audio because they interrupt the audio process. by the way reaper gives me no probs with the net.
if you list your pc components i'll comment further. it might be something to do with your pci slots/a problem maybe, or how your pc is configged.. peace.
d fu...standard wave files.
Sorry for the late reply, I've been trying to find a spell utillity with no luck .

I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe a sound card compatibility issue, who knows??? But every things else works fine...

I'm glade i tested the software and will keep an yea on it. looks really good. but I've made my choice and it's going to be Samplitude , It just killed the competitions for me, cause it sound sooooo good! I love it!

MustacheVerra
Old 23rd July 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
tuRnitUpsuM's Avatar
 

Been messing around with Reaper myself..... definietly a diamond in the rough..... ..... have gotten quite a few plugs working in it too... no real problems eg. sonalksis djaerhuis tritone et al .

Old 23rd July 2006
  #29
Lives for gear
 

vera...
at one point i nearly went samp myself but it was pricing that put me off.
have a lot of respect for it. the one thing i didnt like of samp was lack of midi functionality at the time which i have in powertracks and the darn VIP concept drove me nuts frankly. so i bought a copy (my wife did actually for xmas for me)
of magix music studio for playing around with. much cheaper (50 buks i think at the time)...basically a cut down version of samp.
one area of samp i did like from the demo was the mixer.
Old 23rd July 2006
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1
vera...
at one point i nearly went samp myself but it was pricing that put me off.
have a lot of respect for it. the one thing i didnt like of samp was lack of midi functionality at the time which i have in powertracks and the darn VIP concept drove me nuts frankly. so i bought a copy (my wife did actually for xmas for me)
of magix music studio for playing around with. much cheaper (50 buks i think at the time)...basically a cut down version of samp.
one area of samp i did like from the demo was the mixer.
Your right Samp is not cheap, but since I've planed to switch for a long time i had some time to think and chop...here is the deal a got from my syntax rep..I bought a RME 9632 soundcard and got a free copy of Samp. 6 witch now gives me an upgrad path to Samp 8 for 360$ (can). Not bad he? I bet you wish you knew about that one, right? Sorry, i should have mentioned this before, this is really a deal to lookout for. In the end I'll pay the same amoung i would have for Samp 8, but got a RME 9632 sound card for free, just a little bonus.heh And.., yes there is more, when i tested Samp 7 for audio quality, i noticed that i could play twice the # of tracs right away and maybe even more, so it's kind of like getting a Pc for free. I also remember pushing samp over 100% cpu usage and it would not crash!! Yes over 100%. I was chock, yes i had drop out but at 99% or something , and Samp only used 1 processor as oppose to Cubase,...And those are just bonuses cause the better audio quality is what made it for me, it sounded less digital, more analoge like, i could pinpoint every littlle detail in the sterio feld much more easely and I'm nowhere close to being an engenear BTW... and could record like twice as loud for some reason with no tweaking, what's that about?... I'm so exited about that discovery there's just no word for it...oh! BTW I love working with Cubase but i just have to switch.

About midi, you're right about that too and that's why i didn't switch to Samp 7, but i tell you, after testing Sam 8 demos plus the added features like folder tracs, ect. in 8.3, there's nothing holding me back from leaving cubase. It's not as complet but what's there seemed solide an very well tought.

VIP...what is that?heh I too didn't get that part, but i here Samp comes with a big manual... I too don't like those therms witch are not self explainatory...i like simple things like play/record you know!

Power track: Ah! a like that idea a lot. Does it still sell for 50$ If so , i think I'll buy it just to test it, it's about time...Dose it have folder tracs? That would save from testing it.

Samp's mixer: didn't test it but it looked good. One more bonus i gess. Thankxheh

O.K. got to get something to eat, my spelling is getting worst.

P.S. I might come back to write a little more about the cool stuff i found in Samp. just to get it out of my system.heh

MustacheVerra.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
manning1 / So much gear, so little time
0
manning1 / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump