The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do yourselves a favor and check out REAPER multitrack software. DAW Software
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

vera......
yes powertracks still sells for 50 buks. with free support tho ive only needed it once. if you wish to try it its best to go to pg direct and try the demo.
frankly its a no brainer. cos if you get it and dont like it theres a 30 day money back gurantee. frankly the included huge suite of fx are worth more than the price alone imho. just one of many features. check out some of the tape mastering presets in the included comp/lim for audio tracks and the echoplex included for getting interesting guitar tracks. i'm sorry but i dont have time to go into all the midi/audio features as there are a zillion of them. and a ton of unique features like a midi monitor built in to help troubleshoot external midi connections etc.
also a midi drum machine is included and tab and notation editing.
real timwe RTA is included for audio tracks as well as weird stuff like ring mod , also hum filter , de esser for audio tracks and a slew of other stuff.
i find the RTA usefull for pinpointing problem frequencies. eg bas players fingures that scratch....lol. theres also pitch shift and time stretch as well.
plus a midi drum machine for doing quickie drum tracks. loads of stuff.
what i like about it most importantly (and reaper the same) , i just click on a darn audio track and record away with no futzing around.
Its really a very mature pkge for both audio and midi recording.
ive been saving up for a good sound device like an RME so if you get it i would be interested knowing how you like the RME with it.
peace.
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

an update....
a new version of reaper is out i just tried...with the ability for some pretty snazzy accurate audio thermal metering.
the routing matrix is something i havent seen in other audio software.
you can basically send anything anywhere.

you can now do your own custom eq's by drawing in eq points on the graphic
display it looks like. thus plug in eq's not really needed.
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

i can't figure out how to make a new thread so i'll post this here. sorry to be off subject but how do i set reaper up so that it gives me five seconds before it starts recording? i have set it up like that before but can't remember how...
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junowhoiam View Post
i can't figure out how to make a new thread so i'll post this here. sorry to be off subject but how do i set reaper up so that it gives me five seconds before it starts recording? i have set it up like that before but can't remember how...
Should be able to right-click on the metronome to access pre-roll settings.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

8 year thread exhumation for an off-topic post SHOULD qualify for some sort of GS award.
WELL DONE that man! Brightened up my day.
:D
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junowhoiam View Post
You can't. Check back in another decade or so.

This was fun, though, to read about people's first impressions of Reaper. This was the dawn of the incredibly annoying Reaper evangelists here, someone mentioning Reaper as being something that we'd like to check out. Almost like being there when Jesus preached from the mount, we had no idea what we were seeing.

Ah, we were so innocent then! Little did any of us suspect that Reaper evangelists would, in time, de-rail pretty much every thread on here no matter what the subject actually was, that you'd have to wade through pointless bleats from the sheep about Reaper over and over in an effort to actually read and talk about what anybody wanted to talk about.

Innocent times. What happened to us? We all got so old.

And so did hearing about Reaper.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post
Amazing that a developer would totally ignore the fact that OS X is the primary platform in professional studios, and it isn't that hard to program for!
who told you that OS X is primary platform in professional studios? and btw not everything most people of any kind use means that this would make sense but says a lot about how many people let themselves being fooled by Apple-marketing-bs. see iWhatever ...

and when I listen to todays pop-music produced by "professional studios" I have one or a million points more on my side calling this hype bs.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
who told you that OS X is primary platform in professional studios? and btw not everything most people of any kind use means that this would make sense but says a lot about how many people let themselves being fooled by Apple-marketing-bs. see iWhatever ...

and when I listen to todays pop-music produced by "professional studios" I have one or a million points more on my side calling this hype bs.
You're quoting an eight year old post.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Off topic.. It's been almost four years since manning1 has posted here. I miss his 'Reaper and Band in a Box for all' posts.
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Getting a good giggle out of the reactions to this grave robbing!

And Big L.M. hasnt mellowed any over the years since 2006. (grin)

Skimmed a few threads and it does actually seem like there is far more raving over Studio One Po Tools and Cubendo on here these days.
Heck, we even had a SAW studio preacher on here recently!!!!

Me? Going back to Bars n Pipes Pro on my fabulous Amiga 1200.
Last update 1991 and it still runs rings round most sequencing software.

Sincerely, A. MigaAddict

Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Threadromancy is an art, for sure
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Head

Reaper is an incredibly well written program. I made the switch after battling with PT for years and haven't looked back.

I experienced frequent drop-outs with PT (v7 - v10) with even the latest PC hardware and fasted HDD/SSD available. Yet Reaper performs rock steady on a 10 year old Dell sporting XP.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Addict

I heard about Reaper for years. The evangelism almost put me off. I checked it out once a while back but I found the UI a bit confusing. However, now I'm not happy at all with Logic Pro X so I checked out some other DAWs including Reaper. Now I see what people were on about. It's a fantastic DAW. Really open ended in how you can do things. This means you have to learn more but the learning curve is actually easier in the end because things seem to make sense. I love this DAW now.
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Lorddiagram;710269]dude - it's free [/QUOTE

Technically, only the 60-day eval is free. Otherwise, it requires a purchase:
"You may use the discounted license if:
- You are an individual, and REAPER is only for your personal use, or

- You are an individual or business using REAPER commercially, and yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000, or

- You are an educational or non-profit organization."
Purchase details:
REAPER | Purchase
Open source does not automatically mean "free".
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
...people let themselves being fooled by Apple-marketing-bs...
I would point out here that some people chose Mac OSX for reasons having nothing to do with Apple marketing:
  • Based on a solid Unix foundation.
  • Is a fractional target of viruses.
  • An enjoyable user experience (yes, it can be important to like what one pays for)
Old 27th January 2017
Lives for gear

This thread HAS to be bubbling under the all time top ten of most revived zombie threads ever!

Children have grown up, gone to school, gone to college, had kids of their own and they STILL dont go back as far as this damn thread!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search