The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reaper - Multiple midi tracks for VST instrument??
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Reaper - Multiple midi tracks for VST instrument??

OK so I'm trying to figure out how to make more than one midi track for a single VST without having to duplicate the VST and use more CPU. Lets say I have battery with drums and I want to record each drum hit on a seperate midi track how would I do this?
Old 12th August 2011
Did you try Send from I/O?
Old 13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Nut

Right-click in the 'track' area (TCP), select 'Insert virtual instrument on new track'. You will be asked if you want the multi outs set up. Click OK and Reaper will build all your tracks complete with routing.

Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

I use child tracks – which automatically send everything, including Midi, to the parent track, which would host the VSTi.
Simply drag your Midi input track "onto" the VSTi track until you see it resize to the "indented folder" layout.

That way you can save your instrument specific track templates, with modifiers in the input FX panel etc.. It's really unbelieveably handy!
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

I agree that a send or parent may be your best option
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Nut

You can actually use one midi track to send midi data to you multitimbral VI. at the top right select channel 1, add the desired notes then move on to channel 2 add notes for the next instrument of your multitimbral VI. This might get a bit confusing if your using a lot of instruments, I,m not sure if you can name each channel (would be very handy) but you can set each different channels notes to a different colour.
Old 18th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Right-click in the 'track' area (TCP), select 'Insert virtual instrument on new track'. You will be asked if you want the multi outs set up. Click OK and Reaper will build all your tracks complete with routing.

This will break out multi-Audio-outs. It sounds like the OP wants milti MIDI INs to 1 vst.

To do this Quickly:
1. Open the FX window for the channel hosting the VSTi(Just click the FX button on the track)
2. Right click the VSTi on the right side.
3. Select "Build 16 channels of MIDI routing to this Channel"

This is mainly used for something like Kontakt which will receive separate MIDI for completely separate instruments.

To use this with a Drum kit you will need to change the IO settings per track from ALL => 1-16 to ALL => 1 so that all of our midi tracks hit the same instrument. Just click the IO button on the MIDI channel and you should see the MIDI send options.

I do wonder this question though... Why do you want to do it this way for drums? Are you trying to step record?

If you are trying to step record:
1. Create your track with the VSTi
2. Right click the Record button on the new track and select "Record MIDI Overdub in Existing"

And if you are doing that you probably want to set up "Loop recording"

1. Make a Time selection on the ruler by left clicking and dragging on the top of the ruler. This works best if you have your snap to grid on ( |||] ) which looks like some grid lines + a green magnet.
2. make sure the little Loop button "O" is enabled on the Transporter (R4 default theme has it on the right side of all the transporter buttons)
3. Press Record and it will start going through the loop section till you press stop.

Step recording will allow you to do something like this:
First Pass: Kick
Second Pass: Snare
Third Pass: hi-hat
etc

This is all assuming you have the right midi input selected in Reaper of course. If you are having trouble with this if you left click the VU meter on the TCP a menu will come up with "MIDI input" as an option. Or in R4 you can select the input section and get the same menu.

Anyways. Hope that helps... :-)
Old 18th August 2011
Gear Nut

Jonny,

Good call.

I think I just had outputs on my mind that day (or was it the full moon?). Anyway I would bet money your are correct, cause I re-read the OP.

Old 18th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post

This
Old 7th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
I do wonder this question though... Why do you want to do it this way for drums? Are you trying to step record?
Imagine this situation:
I have a keyboard midi controller without knobs or sliders to send CC to the VSTi, so I buy a, say a Korg nano KONTROL2. How can I play the keyboard and control CCs with nanoKontrol at the same time? (in real time).
Don't think is a rare situation as far... You only can select ONE controller and ONE midi channel (or all of them). Thanks.
Old 7th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
I use child tracks – which automatically send everything, including Midi, to the parent track, which would host the VSTi.
Simply drag your Midi input track "onto" the VSTi track until you see it resize to the "indented folder" layout.

That way you can save your instrument specific track templates, with modifiers in the input FX panel etc.. It's really unbelieveably handy!
THIS is the solution!!!

1 - Create a track with a VSTi.

2 - Create another two tracks (no matter if they are children) and set each input to a different controller. You can create as many controller tracks as you need.

3 - Open I/O in your VSTi track and select to RECIEVEs from those two tracks of controllers. Now you can send both controllers MIDI info into one VST.

Use controller tracks beyond No. 9 if mixing from hardware...

That's all.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search