The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
trying to use a Roland VS-1880 as front end and control for Reaper Utility Software
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

trying to use a Roland VS-1880 as front end and control for Reaper

My interface is an m-audio audiophile 2496, and it's the only thing I have other than the Roland VS-1880.

I'm wanting to use the 1880 as a front end and control surface for Reaper, but I'm not sure what cords I need.

I believe I need a s/pdif cord right? Anything else? MIDI?

I tried looking through the vsplanet forum and even started a thread, but it's dead over there and for some reason I can only see 3 threads in the VS-1880 forum.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

you could probably use both Digital and Audio.

I think the Digital is 24bit so the DAW might also be better at 24bit and te same sample rate. probably good to try to have the VS as fully controlling the DAW as possible, then you can use the transports and any other possible thing. like Midi machine control MMC and possibly Midi Time Code MTC. Midi is needed for that.

The only problem you might have there is the accuracy of the Midi driver and if you want other midi instruments.
It's better o try to keep MTC and MMC on one midi cable. so maybe an M-Audio Midisport 2X2 midi box would be handy.
They are supposed to be good with low midi jitter. small and cheap too. ebay is your friend.

both set at 30 frames per second. you could ossibly use the Digital i/o as a send and return channel. for FX processing.

if you can have a short and long click track as Audio in both the VS and the DAW, at the same Bit depth and sample rate it can help to track down any syncing and timing issues. like a setup project for sync testing. The more phase accurate the clicks hit together and over longer periods of time, the better your sync is being made. like a diagnostics setup project track etc.

I would want to use the output of the VS to feed the speakers.. but a Good speaker switcher, switching between the outputs of the soundcards outs and the VS outs to the speakers, could be handy sometimes. also feeding some Audio from the soundcards outs back to the Audio ins can tell you something about any round trip delay/latency on Analog Audio.

The VS board might also even be able to Arm the DAW tracks for record in some mode.

so shooting for the DAW as a slave and the VS as master.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thank you.

So s/pdif, MIDI, and RCA for the audio?

it is indeed 24bit
http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...?ProductId=485
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirvA View Post
Thank you.

So s/pdif, MIDI, and RCA for the audio?

it is indeed 24bit
Roland U.S. - VS-1880: 24-bit Digital Studio Workstation
why not !!

go for maximum hookup.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

What's the minimum you would need to connect to be able to record to Reaper using the VS as a front end for the 2496 ... the s/pdif?

Also, would I need just one MIDI cable to go from VS to 2496, I would I need another one to go from 2496 to VS also?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
What's the minimum you would need to connect to be able to record to Reaper using the VS as a front end for the 2496 ... the s/pdif?

Also, would I need just one MIDI cable to go from VS to 2496, I would I need another one to go from 2496 to VS also?
either the spdif or the Analog. Roland have very sweet sounding converters so it's nice to exploit them when you can.. to get some extra gain staging saturation. but s/pdif is also fine.

I would think the Roland has balanced and unbalanced outs.

if you want the Roland to be master, you want the midi out (from) the Roland to the computer midi in. probably don't need the other. but it might be handy, just in case.

but yes.. a good minimum could be 1 75ohm s/dif electrical cable (or) 1 optical cable and, one midi cable.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Thank you very much! I'm still very new to all this stuff but learning slowly!

Appreciate it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

hey do you think I could get all 3 of those cables for 30 bucks? ... I got this 30 dollar gift card for a local music store and am hoping I can get all with it imo.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
hey do you think I could get all 3 of those cables for 30 bucks? ... I got this 30 dollar gift card for a local music store and am hoping I can get all with it imo.
well optical is easier to get in larger lengths at lower costs than electrical 75ohm cables. plus they're more flexible. they're both called s/pdif but one's optical s/pdif.

on ebay a 3 meter optical might be $20. find a good reputed seller if you do that. the width of the optical cable will be about 5 to 7 mill and should have a metallic or robust connector housing. you might even get a 5 meter one.

a good midi cable might be about $10. so I guess you could almost pull it off.

phone the shop up beforehand and say.. look!! I need a minimum 3 meter s/pdif good quality optical cable and 2 minimum 3 meter good quality midi cables and I have a $30 dollar gift card.

if they say yes, get the name of the guy and turn up.

actually looking at the PCI card, you're going to need an electrical s\pdif by the looks of things.

same routine but electrical 75ohm s/pdif cables are less usual in Music shops. so you might have to phone more than one.

you might have to lose one midi cable in this deal. but it will still work.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

tyvm really appreciate it.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

good hunting..
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Won't work.

FYI. They didn't implement the HUI emulation until the 2480.

You can do the opposite--every piece in that mixer is fully addressable via MIDI...really a fairly stunning implementation, actually--but, I don't think it will transmit anything useful to you.

Not much of a front end there to use, either. It was that front end I completely bypassed on the 1680...worst preamps and converters EVER.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Won't work.

FYI. They didn't implement the HUI emulation until the 2480.

You can do the opposite--every piece in that mixer is fully addressable via MIDI...really a fairly stunning implementation, actually--but, I don't think it will transmit anything useful to you.

Not much of a front end there to use, either. It was that front end I completely bypassed on the 1680...worst preamps and converters EVER.
The options look quite good for control.

Also, the insides of the VSR880 certainly look good. so if the same attention to quality is there in the VS1880.

isolated PSU .. Audio grade capacitors, so that part might be good.
if you want two good quality pre-amps for not a lot, the Roland MMP2 is very good.

Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

there are some videos on youtube that tell you how to set up the VS machines as control surfaces for DAWs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search