The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB
Old 21st September 2020
  #1
Gear Head
 

Clipping wothout hitting 0dB

Hi,

I am using Reaper and today I noticed something weird.
I am recording my voice as usual and I feel like it's clipping, but my input level on Reaper shows like -9dB.

My audio interface has an LED panel where it shows that it's clipping. It's definitely distorted. I also notice it by looking at the waveform.

Why does Reaper show -9dB? Is it just some settings or hardware (broken interface)?

See attached images.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-1.png   Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-2.jpg  
Old 21st September 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Hi,

I am using Reaper and today I noticed something weird.
I am recording my voice as usual and I feel like it's clipping, but my input level on Reaper shows like -9dB.

My audio interface has an LED panel where it shows that it's clipping. It's definitely distorted. I also notice it by looking at the waveform.

Why does Reaper show -9dB? Is it just some settings or hardware (broken interface)?

See attached images.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If you look at the knob on mic/line 1 of your interface, you pretty much have it cranked. Try turning that down,,, I'm sure that will help.
Old 21st September 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Anyway, you cant clip your interface and expect its the DAW settings. Damage is done before it gets to the DAW.
Old 21st September 2020
  #4
Gear Head
 

Thanks Rick. Yeah I know I can just turn the gain nob, but that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that the interface and my DAW are out of sync. My interface shows that it's clipping while Reaper says I still have a lot of headroom.

Any idea why that's happening?
Old 21st September 2020
  #5
Gear Nut
 

Look up "Gain Staging".
Old 22nd September 2020
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
Look up "Gain Staging".
Thanks RoadRanger for your response. I looked it up but didn't find any helpful information.

I understand I can fix clipping if it happens inside the DAW. But in my case, it happens before it gets into the computer.
The original signal is distorted...

Again, it's not about clipping or not, it's more about why the audio interface and the DAW show different things? Shouldn't the input levels match?
Old 22nd September 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Thanks RoadRanger for your response. I looked it up but didn't find any helpful information.

I understand I can fix clipping if it happens inside the DAW. But in my case, it happens before it gets into the computer.
The original signal is distorted...

Again, it's not about clipping or not, it's more about why the audio interface and the DAW show different things? Shouldn't the input levels match?
The0, just to show you, set your volume @ 0.00dB in your DAW (turn your interface down first) Are you using an LDC Mic? I noticed you had 48volt on in the pic. Anyway, Now bring up your gain on the interface, and see what happens.
The "Gain Staging" well get to,,, that involves FX, like compressors, EQ's Etc,,
Old 22nd September 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
I havent used Reaper in awhile, so I just downloaded it. Anyway on your first track, click the input dropdown and see if mic is there, if so and thats what youre using, click it.
Old 22nd September 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Are you with me? I need to know,,, as I've done this before, only to end up talking/typing to my self.
Old 22nd September 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Thanks Rick. Yeah I know I can just turn the gain nob, but that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that the interface and my DAW are out of sync. My interface shows that it's clipping while Reaper says I still have a lot of headroom.

Any idea why that's happening?
The0, you skipped out,,, and yes I know why that's happening.
Old 22nd September 2020
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
The0, you skipped out,,, and yes I know why that's happening.
Hi Rick. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the delay, I'm with you. I am using a condenser mic, that's why I have my phantom power on. I notice that it doesn't get past 9,7 dB. That's where it tops (clips).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Hi Rick. Thanks for your help. Sorry for the delay, I'm with you. I am using a condenser mic, that's why I have my phantom power on. I notice that it doesn't get past 9,7 dB. That's where it tops (clips).
First you need to turn the interface/input all the way down, then set your track in the DAW to 0.00dB. then bring the gain up on the interface and watch the VU in the DAW,,, it has nothing to do with the VU on the interface. You dont want to clip the interface though. And those LDC mic's pick-up everything. Try that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
First you need to turn the interface/input all the way down, then set your track in the DAW to 0.00dB. then bring the gain up on the interface and watch the VU in the DAW,,, it has nothing to do with the VU on the interface. You dont want to clip the interface though. And those LDC mic's pick-up everything. Try that.
What do you mean by "set your track in the DAW to 0.00dB"? The master fader and the tracj fader are set to 0dB. No effects applied. Is that what you mean?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
What do you mean by "set your track in the DAW to 0.00dB"? The master fader is set to 0dB. Is that what you mean?
No, go to the top menu, look for track, click it then click add track, and in that track, look/click input and look for mic or analog. click that. set your volume to 0.00dB in that track, it'll be track 1.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
click insert new track, not add track. Each time you do this it adds another track.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
No, go to the top menu, look for track, click it then click add track, and in that track, look/click input and look for mic or analog. click that. set your volume to 0.00dB in that track, it'll be track 1.
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-untitled1.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Like this?
Nope, look at the top menu at track, click it and click, click insert new track.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
Nope, look at the top menu at track, click it and click, click insert new track.
OK. Now what?
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-untitled1.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
try right clicking in a blank area and see if you get a pop-up that has insert new track.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
OK. Now what?
click insert new track.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
click insert new track.
Ok. I am inserting tracks... What's next?
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-untitled1.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
Ok. I am inserting tracks... What's next?
Close that and start a new project, it looks like you have everything set as master.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
This is more of what you want it to look like.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton View Post
This is more of what you want it to look like.
OK. I enabled the master track (image)

By the way, I now found out that the problem disappears when I use my ASIO Driver instead of Direct sound or Wave Out. Any idea why? (image)
Attached Thumbnails
Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-untitled1.png   Clipping wothout hitting 0dB-untitled.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
OK. I enabled the master track (image)

By the way, I now found out that the problem disappears when I use my ASIO Driver instead of Direct sound or Wave Out. Any idea why? (image)
What OS are you using? Windows 10 64bit?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #27
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
OK. I enabled the master track (image)

By the way, I now found out that the problem disappears when I use my ASIO Driver instead of Direct sound or Wave Out. Any idea why? (image)
It seems you have your record input in Windows turned down. But stick to ASIO anyway and it shouldn't matter.

Alistair
Old 4 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0 View Post
OK. I enabled the master track (image)

By the way, I now found out that the problem disappears when I use my ASIO Driver instead of Direct sound or Wave Out. Any idea why? (image)
if you make a new project, go to view click mixer and transport, not master. then insert one track, then click FX, go down to cockos click it, then click add, add reagate, first, then reacomp, then reaEQ. After that goto top menu click track, click duplicate track, that will give you another track with these FX's that you need to fine tune,,, you just have to learn them. You may need to set left or right on each track input. And you can duplicate as many tracks as you need.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
If you get your tracks lined out. you can right click on a track and you'll get a pop-up. scroll down you'll see "track icon" click it, look to the side, you'll see set icon, that lets you put an instrument icon, mic, guitar, etc,,, so you'll know whats on that track.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #30
Here for the gear
 

I don’t know that interface, but doesn’t the main knob top right, control the output level of the interface? If so, you can clip the inputs – as you were in that photo – but have the output (clipped) and turn down the main and have it coming out of the interface / going into Reaper at less than 0dB.

If it doesn’t - dunno!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3928 views: 285990
Avatar for ThisNameSucks
ThisNameSucks 9 minutes ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump