The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fader for volume automation
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Fader for volume automation

Hi!
I'm wondering what kind of fader controller I could use for just writing automation/panning in reaper?
Will it do with for example a behringer xtouch mini or a korg nanokontrol?

Thanks in advance!
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

You can use those, yes. Precise and comfortable they are not however.

I recommend a unit that has at least one motorized touch-sensitive fader. The X-Touch Mini has one non-motorized but touch-sensitive fader, but it is a little more complicated to setup.

The following goes for all controllers capable of sending MIDI CC controller data in an absolute fashion, rather than relative.

In Reapers action list there are commands you can bind a midi or osc controll source to.

Track: Set volume for last touched track (MIDI CC/OSC only)
Track: Set volume for selected tracks (MIDI CC/OSC only)

Add a shortcut for one of these actions and move your midi knob or midi fader(remember to enable that midi device for control messages in the preferences/midi devices). Something similar "MIDI Chan 2 CC 11" will show up. The dropdown menu next to "MIDI CC:" should be set to Absolute, unless you know what you're doing. You can set the checkbox "Soft takeover (absolute mode only)" or not. That's your choice.

Test the knob on a currently selected track for example, and see whether it works. You now have a control source.

For 1-fader motorized units such as the X-Touch One, Presonus Faderport or Icon Platform Nano, just follow the setup instructions. It'll usually involve using not them not as midi devices, but as a controller via the Preferences/Control/OSC/web section.

I use a Presonus Faderport 16. The faders are fine, but it's up to you to choose what works best for you.
Old 17th February 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely look into a motorized fader unit. Since writing automation is my priority and not controlling midi this seems to be the best choice. I now have a better understanding of this stuff!

Thanks again
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear
Don't forget that you can also automate groupings of tracks ( eg drums) via the use of folders, and then write automation for several tracks at once, if that's appropriate to your mix method and style ?

If you check the videos section of the Reaper main page, you'll find many helpful guide videos for setup and usage of automation control surfaces, from people like Kenny Gioia (Reaper Mania) and The Reaper Blog. Also check out videos and guide articles in the Reaper section of Sound On Sound magazine
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

1 slider faderport is fantastic with reaper
Old 17th June 2020
Gear Guru

not sure how this iCON Platform Nano DAW controller works but there is supposed to be one with bluetooth as well. so I assume it must have a rechargeable battery for that case. it would be better if any BT version also had USB, in case some interference issues start to be encountered.

ideally a Remote wants to have such things as punch in and out points as well as locator memories, Auto Record type features for the punch points, and selectable preRoll available. it seems to have a MCU mode but it's hard to know how these controls might generalize across DAW's. or more specifically for this case, into Reaper.

for example, Reaper doesn't have locator memories from what I can see. it rather uses markers for navigation and the punch modes seem to work off the back of the selection area. so theoretically, any punch in position could only be set by running a
set selection in and out point Action. then the selection punch recording mode would be acting
as a quasi punch in / out position. commensurate with traditional multitrack remote controllers.

it would also have to be using the correct go to markers e.g.

Markers: Go to next marker/project end
Markers: Go to previous marker/project start

because the other types seem to disable the selection area.
so if the selections area becomes deselected, then the
selection punch recording mode would not work for punch recording.

anyhow, here is the USB iCON unit.

iCON Platform Nano DAW controller
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear