The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio stutter when video is playing
Old 16th September 2019
Audio stutter when video is playing

Hello!

I am trying to use Reaper for some personal appât-production work. I’ve used it in the past with some tracks for music, but now when I try to use it with a video playing, the audio stutters after about 10 seconds.

Things i’ve tried:
1) increase media buffer in reaper in increments up to 20,000ms - this had no success
2) play without the video by muting the track - there was no issues here
3) played with FireWire drive latency

What happens is the transport will flash red, and the audio stutters, and becomes impossible to hear.

Some additional info:

- running on my 2010 MBP; never had any issue working on it with ProTools (up to PT9) and the same setup with lots of plugins in the past
- no plugins in use atm
- it’s a 2010 15in MBP, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, running High Sierra
- Focusrite Pro24 via FireWire
- CPU usage will jump to 65-72% (within reper and the Task Manager)
- Audio is on separate internal drive from Repaer (I had replaced the DVD drive with another 750GB HD a while ago)

So, why is the CPU usage so high, and can I do anything about it?

Is there a way to mute the audio in the video track besides just turning down the fader? Muting the track also mutes the video

And the big question: Why does the video make Reaper audio stutter, and what can I do to fix that?

Thank you!
Old 17th September 2019
FIXED

So, it turns out that it was the video decoder; it was using VLC's, and i switched it to the one builtin with MacOS. CPU usage is hovering around 10-11%, maxed out at 14%.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search