The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can I extract the Tempo from a selection of music?
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Can I extract the Tempo from a selection of music?

I have an imported stereo file given to me. I'd like to do some delay effects in certain areas.

Does Reaper have a tool where I can extract the tempo of a selection?

Yep. I'm being lazy and hoping someone has a quick solution - much easier to ask than wading through piles of info.

Cheers.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

Have a look at the Tempo Mapping script on this page

ReaTrak Studio (Chord Track for REAPER)

Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Thanks crosso, much appreciated.

I'm trying to cut back on complications, and that method looks way too confusing for me. Surely there is a much simpler way?

My "normal" solution would be to look at a clock over a minute and whack my knee with my hand and count - then work it out from there. I wish for simple.

The reality is, because the whole "thought process" took too long, I lost the "vibe" anyway.

Cheers.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

What about Insert > Measure form time selection ?
Old 15th June 2019
Gear Guru

there's an android app called Tube Tempo. it's a very good Tap Tempo calculator. you just tap the screen.

so if you find the tempo and set the DAW tempo to that, that should generally work. but watch out for having the audio in the project already, because the audio item might be set to stretch with changes in tempo. or set the tempo first then drag in the audio, is another way to bypass that behavior.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
there's an android app called Tube Tempo. it's a very good Tap Tempo calculator. you just tap the screen...
I downloaded a similar app. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work at all. I keep tapping my monitor screen and nothing happens...

This is the one I'm using:
http://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/
It works fine and simpler than me counting.

Thanks for the headsup about the possible tempo stretching.

All good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is a simple way.
Pick a track you will be using to work out the tempo, I typically use a kick track, but whatever you have.

Highlight the waveform by mouse clicking in it, then hit Tab to get to the first transient, ie. the drum hit you want to call the one of the bar.
hit M to put a marker there

Tab until you get to the transient that will be the one of the next bar. In the case of a four on the floor drumbeat this would be four kicks later.
hit M to put a marker there too.

Hold down left mouse button and highlight the entire area between the two markers( this will be easier to do exactly if you have snap to grid enabled, which is toggled on/off by hitting Alt+S) . Zoom in to each marker and make sure the highlighted area is only the space between the markers. Unlike Protools you can easily move the edges of the highlighted area without starting over if you didn't get it exactly right.

Right click the highlighted area on an empty party of a track (not on a waveform or a different menu will come up ) and about 1/3 of the way down the menu it says "set project tempo from time selection (detect tempo)". Select that and your session tempo will change.

Often it will give something like 89.19 BPM, which I would round to 89.

Hope this is clear.

The other part of this is managing whether you want the playback speed of the session to change or not when you change the tempo. In most cases you don't want that, you are just looking to lock the gridlines and VST delay times/MIDI to the speed of the song, but sometimes you might want to vary the speed.

To adjust hit Alt+Enter and access the Project Settings menu.
Where it says "timebase for envelopes/items /makers":
(1) set pull down menu to " Time" if you DO NOT want a tempo change to alter the playback speed of the session. This would be most cases for me.

(2)set pull down menu to " "Beats position length rate" if you DO want a tempo change to alter the playback speed of the session.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I actually use a similar method to what funkycam described. I formalized those kinds of steps into a set of Lemur buttons.
but it's more for a whole piece where the tempo changes, so there are additional steps in those cases.

but I would say that as long as the loop is as intelligible as a loop as possible, when you loop it on playback, then I wouldn't round the numbers for the tempo after that for the sake of a round number. you can sometimes fine tune the tempo to get the echo divisions to change slightly. but then you have to make sure that the audio isn't stretching or changing it's absolute position by being set in a mode where it will stretch with tempo changes.

e.g. if the item stretches or moves when you change tempo, it will either be moving out of tempo sync-able alignment,
or if it is stretching, it will defeat the ability to fine tune the tempo for any FX sync fine tuning goal.

because the audio would stretch along with the change in Tempo. so it would produce no change
except an increase or decrease in overall Tempo of the program material.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I wouldn't round the numbers for the tempo after that for the sake of a round number.
The reason I round the numbers is i don't get called to mix music that originates from samples, so it's almost always a whole number BPM. A band tracked to a click or a programmed midi session.

(The only time i see subdivisions of BPMs is if someone makes a song from a sample or drum loop that needed looped at some fraction of a bpm to make the loop work.)

Last edited by funkycam; 4 weeks ago at 07:58 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkycam View Post
The reason I round the numbers is i don't get called to mix music that originates from samples, so it's almost always a whole number BPM. A band tracked to a click or a programmed midi session.

(The only time i see subdivisions of BPMs is if someone makes a song from a sample or drum loop that needed looped at some fraction of a bpm to make the loop work.)
you should soon be able to tell, because it only takes a few hundredths of a BPM deviation to start creeping out and flaming. it's often also true that a round number on one system isn't the same round number on another. so you can get a similar deviation just because of variables in different systems clocks. it depends how precise you need to be as to what is acceptable. if a hosts click is still bang on after a two or three minutes, your almost exact. assuming the tempo isn't wandering in any way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search