The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper/MadiFx/Orion32 issue
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Reaper/MadiFx/Orion32 issue

Hi Folks

I have a strange issue
I'm pretty sure it can be fixed in 2 seconds but I can't figure out how.

I have a MadiFX and an Orion32+
I want to route:

MadiFX 1-32 out to Orion32 Madi 1-32 in

Orion32 Madi 1-32 to Line out 1-32 to feed my mixer

Everything works... except MadiFx out 1/2

Low sound coming out of 1/2... I resetted totalmix but it didn't fix the issue.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear
Hi,

do you have Orion 32 plus or Orion 32..? Sometimes plus sign is automatically added to product name in at GS website to link matching product in reviews section.

Anyway, it should be rather simple process to find out, where that happens, and I would personally rather bet on some setup thing at Orion converter.

MADIFX is connected digitally via MADI, there is no various sensitivity mismatch like with analog. It's 1:1 digital transfer, unless you touch output faders in TotalMix.
You can easily verify level of outgoing signal from RME card and level of incoming signal to Orion.
Just send common signal from sine generator (say -12 dBFS or whatever valid) in DAW to first four outputs at RME.
Then you can check level at the card in TotalMix, all meters at respective output channels should give you the same readout.
At Orion control panel app, you can view input levels coming from MADI, if you select first 32 channels in left meter, again readouts for four channels should be the same.
Then if you're using mentioned routing (eg. MADI in 1-32 to Analog 1-32), then when you select peak meters for output levels 1-32 (pre DAC, eg. level you're sending there), those should also show the same value for all channels.

Also even if everything is routed directly from input to output without influence of Orion mixer, there is additional analog level alignment setting.
It's accessible from settings menu at control panel, you can access that with gear icon.
There you can find, drop down menus with selectable dBu values, which are mapped to 0 dBFS (digital zero). For Orion 32 there are two menus - for all analog inputs and for all analog outputs. For Orion 32 plus, there is additional third menu for selecting value for TRS monitor outputs.
Of course, there should be selected one common value (depending on your other analog gear), if you want the same level for outputs and inputs.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 8th June 2019 at 11:47 PM..
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

do you have Orion 32 plus or Orion 32..? Sometimes plus sign is automatically added to product name in at GS website to link matching product in reviews section.
32 Plus Gen 3

Quote:
Anyway, it should be rather simple process to find out, where that happens, and I would personally rather bet on some setup thing at Orion converter.
I doubt it since the signal/meter on 1/2 is low in Totalmix

[/QUOTE]

Quote:
ADIFX is connected digitally via MADI, there is no various sensitivity mismatch like with analog. It's 1:1 digital transfer, unless you touch output faders in TotalMix.
You can easily verify level of outgoing signal from RME card and level of incoming signal to Orion.
Just send common signal from sine generator (say -12 dBFS or whatever valid) in DAW to first four outputs at RME.
Then you can check level at the card in TotalMix, all meters at respective output channels should give you the same readout.
At Orion control panel app, you can view input levels coming from MADI, if you select first 32 channels in left meter, again readouts for four channels should be the same.
Then if you're using mentioned routing (eg. MADI in 1-32 to Analog 1-32), then when you select peak meters for output levels 1-32 (pre DAC, eg. level you're sending there), those should also show the same value for all channels.
Tried it with a Kick and a Snare on 1 and 2... Nothing
When I hook it up to MADI I/o no2 on the MadiFX, I get a signal from 65 and 66 so I know the cable and the Orion are not at fault here....
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
I doubt it since the signal/meter on 1/2 is low in Totalmix

Tried it with a Kick and a Snare on 1 and 2... Nothing
When I hook it up to MADI I/o no2 on the MadiFX, I get a signal from 65 and 66 so I know the cable and the Orion are not at fault here....
Alright.
And by signal/meter in TotalMix, do you mean level of software playback (at middle row) or output level going to MAID (bottom row)?

In the first case with playback level, I'd focus to Reaper and project.

Do you have anything enabled globally in Monitoring FX chain? Because that would be naturally affecting first two channels coming to audio interface (in normal stereo project). Right-click to right part of menu bar, where is displayed working sample rate and buffer lengths, and open Montoring FX to check that.

Also you've said, you tried that with some kick and snare. I'd really recommend to create new test project to further isolate it.
With blank one, create new track there, add built-in JSFX Tone Generator plugin there and unroute track from master bus. Duplicate whole track four times.
And finally add respective sequential direct outputs routes to first four audio interface outputs.. i like to use Routing/Matrix view for that.
That way, you can be sure, there is no leftover from your previous working project.

If that lower signal level would be in output row in TotalMix,
then attenuation would be somewhere there. You already reset its settings, but do you have output MADI channels 1/2 routed directly? So signal is not going through monitoring section in TotalMix.. (eg. respective output faders at TM are normally at left side of UI and not at right, like when you assign them to monitoring section), because that's another place, where signal can get dimmed or attenuated.

Finally, I'm not sure, whether you use Mac OS or Windows. In Mac OS, some audio interface drivers can adjust output level via system volume control, so there can be also attenuation. IIRC that doesn't apply to your RME drivers. But anyway, just mentioning that as another place to look at, when you're at Mac.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 9th June 2019 at 10:21 AM..
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

I will do that... I appreciate the help by the way thanks a lot Michal
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Hey after a thoro investigation.... The problem comes from Reaper. I haven't figured out what triggers it but in other daws everything is OK

Thanks again Michal
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hey after a thoro investigation.... The problem comes from Reaper. I haven't figured out what triggers it but in other daws everything is OK

Thanks again Michal
Hi and you're welcome.

As I've touched before.. there are few areas in Reaper, where I would focus on and where attenuation can happen. Assuming, it's a blank project, where you don't have any FXs on master bus (or they are bypassed) and issue still persisted.

- monitoring FXs
bypass or temporarily delete those, if you're using some

- master bus pan law
in Reaper compared to other DAW, you can also set pan law at track by track basis and override global project setting. That applies also to master bus, where is also pan pot.
Right click to this pan pot there and check, there is set 0 dB attenuation in center position.

- hardware send level from master bus
when you open Reaper mixer and go to master bus, there is hardware send to first two channels at RME driver. There you can also adjust level, which is being sent to hardware, be sure it's at unity gain
You can also quickly see master bus level, pan, width settings, hw send levels, when you right click to master fader in mixer.

Hopefully, you'll find the culprit.

Michal
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi and you're welcome.

- monitoring FXs
bypass or temporarily delete those, if you're using some

Michal
Nailed it!

I feel so stoopid right now...

That EXACT same situation happened to me before!!!

Thanks a zillion time Michal!
Old 23rd June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nailed it!

I feel so stoopid right now...

That EXACT same situation happened to me before!!!

Thanks a zillion time Michal!
Cool
I'm glad, you've found that.

Happy recording and mixing

Michal
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search