The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper Grid Question
Old 26th May 2019
Here for the gear

Reaper Grid Question

Is there a way to move the hash marks in the ruler/grid so that the divisions clearly show groups of 4-8 etc., but starting from an odd number?

So say I have 8 bars in a section, which the ruler will clearly show at every 2/4/8 measures, so it works out visually. You look at the ruler and you see a clear vertical line at measures 4,8,12,16, etc. But let's say I add a one bar tag to an 8-bar section before continuing, and now my next 8 measures actually covers bars 10-17 instead of bars 9-16. Visually, this messes things up when you are looking at all of your items on the grid when zoomed out.

Is there a way to add the extra bar or half bar or whatever, and then visually adjust the vertical ruler divisions to restart groups of 4/8/16 on odd bars? Thanks.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

I would think having a toolbar button set, which sets specific grid division display depths, with a finer tuned color theme tweaks for those grid divisions would be a more rational management method. then any additional Actions which might move items to certain grid values, can be determined by a certain amount of visual confirmation. assuming you might ever want to do that. but I’d have thought different zoom ratios would always impose some kind of loss of visual resolution, as you zoom out.

so a zoom in and out toolbar button is probably also useful along with any grid depth display action toolbar buttons.

it’s usually the text readout which take up most of the space and not the vertical grid lines.
you have a few settings if you right click on the grid. I’m using measures beats / minimal for the most efficient space use.
Old 6th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I would think having a toolbar button set, which sets specific grid division display depths, with a finer tuned color theme tweaks for those grid divisions would be a more rational management method. then any additional Actions which might move items to certain grid values, can be determined by a certain amount of visual confirmation. assuming you might ever want to do that. but I’d have thought different zoom ratios would always impose some kind of loss of visual resolution, as you zoom out.

so a zoom in and out toolbar button is probably also useful along with any grid depth display action toolbar buttons.

it’s usually the text readout which take up most of the space and not the vertical grid lines.
you have a few settings if you right click on the grid. I’m using measures beats / minimal for the most efficient space use.
I ended up just changing the time signature of the last bar in a group, rather than adding an extra bar. So say you have 32 bars, then want a 2 bar tag. Instead of adding two bars, and the next group starting on m.35, you just make the last bar of the first 32 a 6/4 bar instead of 4/4, then change back at the next measure. This actually works better because in common song format you get to keep the familiar measure number markers like 32,64,128, etc.

So instead of something like 4,4,4,4...2...4,4,4,4 you instead would go 4,4,4,6,4,4,4,4 and have the same measure numbers.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacksey View Post
I ended up just changing the time signature of the last bar in a group, rather than adding an extra bar. So say you have 32 bars, then want a 2 bar tag. Instead of adding two bars, and the next group starting on m.35, you just make the last bar of the first 32 a 6/4 bar instead of 4/4, then change back at the next measure. This actually works better because in common song format you get to keep the familiar measure number markers like 32,64,128, etc.

So instead of something like 4,4,4,4...2...4,4,4,4 you instead would go 4,4,4,6,4,4,4,4 and have the same measure numbers.
maybe you can take a screen grab of the before and after and upload them.
that way we can easily all see what the actual difference on visual impact is.
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
maybe you can take a screen grab of the before and after and upload them.
that way we can easily all see what the actual difference on visual impact is.

Well I can't really do a "before" without messing up my project. But you can see what I did here was instead of having everything get thrown off of the standard grid divisions (4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32, etc.) by adding an extra bar in there, what I did instead was make measure 16 a long bar.

I wanted a break of 5 beats of silence after the first 16 bars. If I just added a 5/4 bar at measure 17, then the actual music would continue starting at measure 18. So from measure 18 now you'd get these numbers (18,22,26,30,34,38)... which don't line up with the grid divisions.

So I did not add an extra bar of 5/4, instead I added 5 beats of rest to measure 16, and turned it into a 9/4 bar with 4 beats of music and 5 beats of rest. Now I can continue on with the music right at measure 17 and still be lined up visually with the grid.
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper Grid Question-long-bars-instead-new-bars.jpg  
Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

This might be a little clearer. Those divisions are going to show at measure 17 no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have 16 bars of music before hand that FIT the grid or not. It will always have that tall hash mark starting at m.17. I want my music to line up with those visual references. Does that make sense? This is hard to explain over text. It's just about keeping the music divided up into groups of 4's in terms of measure numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper Grid Question-div.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacksey View Post
This might be a little clearer. Those divisions are going to show at measure 17 no matter what. It doesn't matter if you have 16 bars of music before hand that FIT the grid or not. It will always have that tall hash mark starting at m.17. I want my music to line up with those visual references. Does that make sense? This is hard to explain over text. It's just about keeping the music divided up into groups of 4's in terms of measure numbers.
I think I get what you mean. you basically want some division of beats which end up putting your grid out of kilter. which wouldn't just end up just being a visual problem I expect. because any operations which are bar specific would then also not function as expected. so it's worth knowing how to cope with that if you want to force Reaper to conform to your musical and timing requirements. rather than the other way round.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search