The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IP address banned from Reaper forum?
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

IP address banned from Reaper forum?

Does anyone know what something like this is about. I've never done anything on any forum to be banned. It has to be some kind of error?

Anyone else experience something like this?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Use a vpn to get around the ban.
Then log in and ask an admin there to help you.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBeer View Post
Does anyone know what something like this is about. I've never done anything on any forum to be banned. It has to be some kind of error?

Anyone else experience something like this?
Just release your IP every night (. Eventually your ISP will be issued a new one. It may take days or weeks though.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

If I release my IP address, will I have to reconfigure my wifi router?
Old 2nd May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
I’ve had this with a couple of websites for years. They banned my “dynamic” ip address.

How do you release it?
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I release my IP address, will I have to reconfigure my wifi router?
no you shouldn't have to reconfigure if DHCP is the default(which it is on most home wifi routers)

Basically you can just unplug the router and hope it "renews" to a new address when you start it up again. It's quite possible that simply rebooting the router would get you new address, but it's unlikely. If you turn it off for hours at a time, eventually it will give you a new address. Keep in mind they could have banned a entire subnet. That would be a bummer. Then you will have very a hard time getting a un-banned address. That is worst case scenario and unlikely.

I noticed another poster suggested use a VPN service. That is a good idea but can be problematic too. Since lots of illegal activity is done with VPNs. Many sites ban entire VPNs gatways. It worth a try though.

As quick test you can just use a proxy server. Keep in mind many sites ban proxy servers too. So these may not work.

https://www.hidemyass.com/en-us/proxy

https://hide.me/en/proxy
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigcomedown View Post
I’ve had this with a couple of websites for years. They banned my “dynamic” ip address.

How do you release it?
you just turn off your router and eventually it will get a new address.
Also on windows you should do:

cmd /c ipconfig /release

then after you turn your router on
cmd /c ipconfig /renew

on mac I think you can do

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP
Old 2nd May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
you just turn off your router and eventually it will get a new address.
Also on windows you should do:

cmd /c ipconfig /release

then after you turn your router on
cmd /c ipconfig /renew

on mac I think you can do

sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP
Oh! I was told to turn off my modem for a day. I tried this many times and it never worked.

So my router?

Maybe I should look at the router config.

Subnet? I’ve seen this a million times. Don’t know exactly what it is.
Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Use Tor

https://www.torproject.org/
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

Opera browser has a unlimited free built in vpn. No set up needed.
Old 2nd May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Use a vpn to get around the ban.
Then log in and ask an admin there to help you.
Doesn't always work though, and sometimes using a VPN will cause that message to pop up in your browser heh.

A lot of VPNs have been flagged for 'malicious activity' (people try to get away with anything because now theyre 'anonymous'. I have a few forums and sites bookmarked that tell me my IP is banned depending on which node Im connected to with my provider.
Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Nut

So, if you use a vpn...can you still log into your forum accounts or must you just view as a guest? I can't imagine that my "account" has been band...I've never been anything but polite in these types of forums. And I've GREATLY appreciated the Reaper forum...it's saved me TONS of times.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Doesn't always work though, and sometimes using a VPN will cause that message to pop up in your browser heh.

A lot of VPNs have been flagged for 'malicious activity' (people try to get away with anything because now theyre 'anonymous'. I have a few forums and sites bookmarked that tell me my IP is banned depending on which node Im connected to with my provider.
Sure.
But also it might work and it is free, so doesn't cost anything to try (unless it is a paid vpn service).

Alternatively he could try emailing [email protected]
Old 2nd May 2019
Deleted 063dc0d
Quote:
So, if you use a vpn...can you still log into your forum accounts or must you just view as a guest? I can't imagine that my "account" has been band...I've never been anything but polite in these types of forums. And I've GREATLY appreciated the Reaper forum...it's saved me TONS of times.
These days that doesn't matter. Your intent is irrelevant. Maybe someone on the forum was offended by the way you crossed a "t" or dotted an "i".

A lot of these systems have "ai" flagging things. Just look at Fakebook and all of its problems or Twizzler.

The forum is probably run by some company similar to Disqus.

All of these companies have some sort of "social mission" or something where they state that they are for "openness and diversity" ... and here are the parameters and constraints of our "openness and diversity". So, who knows, what happened.

Tor and Opera. I always forget about Opera.

Good reminder and recommend above.
Old 17th May 2019
Here for the gear

In my opinion proxy will failed in reaper forum because there back-end system easily detected that you are using a proxy server. The best way is to use paid vpn and get a dedicated ip. By this, always your IP remain same. Choose a secure vpn and put a request for dedicated ip. https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-vpn/secure-vpn
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinsteel View Post
In my opinion proxy will failed in reaper forum because there back-end system easily detected that you are using a proxy server. The best way is to use paid vpn and get a dedicated ip. By this, always your IP remain same. Choose a secure vpn and put a request for dedicated ip. https://www.purevpn.com/what-is-vpn/secure-vpn
It looks like they fixed the issues, as I was able to logon with this standard browser. I had been recently using a vpn as suggested. But it's apparently been fixed

I thought I had a dedicated IP address...my router and all my devices that require IP (like my Xbox) all have the same address. I've used the forum for years without any problem? Oh well

I appreciate the input...the vpn suggestion worked fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search