The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why nobody didn't tell me?
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

Why nobody didn't tell me?

I was using Logic for years. Two years ago I discovered Acustica/Nebula plugins. Really Nice analog vibe ITB. My music was getting more and more acoustic. So, I wanted my processing to be at 96khz.

Today I recorded a vox and an a. guitar. Only two tracks. On the master bus in Logic I put the two Acustica plugins: TaupeTaupe and Magenta5. Oh boy, the CPU load was horrible and the Logic has just stopped playing audio. My MacPro 12 core (2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) with 64gb ram and SSD was struggling. It couldn't spread the load across the cores. The entire CPU load was on just one core peaking the maximum on the Logic's CPU meter.

Then I tried the SAME in Reaper and the CPU load was like 4-5%.

I though you guys were friends of mine. But you were hiding this secret from me for years

OK, I knew something, I was reading about the better performance of Reaper. But this is crazy. It is not even funny. Didn't know that the difference is huge

Now an old man has to learn a new app

UPDATE:
Sorry, in Reaper I put the plugins firstly not on the master bus. Now I realized that... My mac is having problems even with Reaper.

Dear Mod, please delete this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Arseny; 28th April 2019 at 10:44 PM..
Old 28th April 2019
Here for the gear

In Reaper, I don't put anything on the master bus. Instead, the first thing I do is create a track (to be used as a bus (called submaster) and put all other tracks below it (i.e moved to the right so they are like inside it as a folder). Anything you would normally put on the master bus I put on this submaster. That way the plugins are multithreaded
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks John, i’m gonna try that
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncologon View Post
In Reaper, I don't put anything on the master bus. Instead, the first thing I do is create a track (to be used as a bus (called submaster) and put all other tracks below it (i.e moved to the right so they are like inside it as a folder). Anything you would normally put on the master bus I put on this submaster. That way the plugins are multithreaded
Yes it is better CPU performance than on the master bus.
And much better then Logic
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Addict

Hold up. The master buss processes plugs with one core. But a folder track acting as a master buss uses multicore to process? How the!?!?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncologon View Post
This was news to me. Love reaper!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also by having master FX on the sub master you can route a new overdub track direct to the master and it's record monitoring is not affected by latency of the plugs on the sub master.
Makes it possible to track live in heavy projects with master FX still on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search