The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Where to put FX Plugins
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Head

Where to put FX Plugins

Greetings all...

I'm a brand new Reaper convert... have really fallen in love with it.

It is inevitable that I'm going to want more effects vst's to use with it. This is my question; where do I install these new 3rd party plugins?

Reaper is running so smooth for me right now so I really don't want to mess things up by putting new effects in the wrong place.

Thanks once again for helping a newb out
Old 28th April 2019
Ctrl-p opens Reaper Preferences
Navigate to Plugins, VST.
There is a place to enter the drive letter and path to the top folder of your VST plugins.
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Ctrl-p opens Reaper Preferences
Navigate to Plugins, VST.
There is a place to enter the drive letter and path to the top folder of your VST plugins.
Yep... managed to get my 3rd party (free) plugins to show up in Reaper. A couple of them are pretty good for the price, (did I say "free"?) Others are so-so, and a few are down right bad and will be removed from the list. I'm of the opinion that putting out $49 - $99 and more - would be a total waste of money for what I'm doing. I'm NOT a professional recording engineer. This is only a hobby. Besides, I've put out enough money to get myself caught up to using the more modern technology. Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Addictive Drums and Sample Tank 4.

I'm very happy that I stuck out playing around with Reaper a little longer - Now that I've become more comfortable with it I'm really liking it. To the point where I can say that it has become my DAW of choice. There is still a lot for me to learn but as my understanding gets better, a lot of it will come more easily. There's so much information on it out there, in forums like this one and videos, it shouldn't take me very long to become accustomed to it's workings.

I also like the way that Cockos allowed me all the time I needed to evaluate Reaper before having to put out the bit of money they're asking for a license. Most other software companies give you 30 days and no more to see if you like their product. Not long enough in my opinion. And let's not forget how expensive most other DAW's cost - with the exception of Cakewalk by Bandlab which is free. I will be activating my my copy today.

/OM

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search