The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Want to try Reaper... but Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Gear Head
Want to try Reaper... But (Solved - Sort Of)

Greetings all

I'm a long time Sonar/Cakewalk CbB user. However, I've been reading and watching people raving about Reaper and thought I'd give it a try.

And so I have it downloaded and installed. The problem is, I can't get any sound while recording or listening to playback of MIDI. The MIDI tracks are being entered... I can see them in the piano roll. There's just no sound. I know that it is an "in/out" setting but I've spent the better part of two hours trying to get them set properly. I've tried clicking on different settings so often that I don't remember what settings I've tried.

I have recently switched over to using just soft synths exclusively - SampleTank 3 and 4, and Addictive Drums 2.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett second generation.

Keep in mind that everything is working fine in Cakewalk by Soundlab.

I'm hoping that someone can take this old coot by the hand and lay out the settings I need to make in order to get Reaper's sound up and running.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

/OM
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Myer View Post
Greetings all

I'm a long time Sonar/Cakewalk CbB user. However, I've been reading and watching people raving about Reaper and thought I'd give it a try.

And so I have it downloaded and installed. The problem is, I can't get any sound while recording or listening to playback of MIDI. The MIDI tracks are being entered... I can see them in the piano roll. There's just no sound. I know that it is an "in/out" setting but I've spent the better part of two hours trying to get them set properly. I've tried clicking on different settings so often that I don't remember what settings I've tried.

I have recently switched over to using just soft synths exclusively - SampleTank 3 and 4, and Addictive Drums 2.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett second generation.

Keep in mind that everything is working fine in Cakewalk by Soundlab.

I'm hoping that someone can take this old coot by the hand and lay out the settings I need to make in order to get Reaper's sound up and running.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Bobby
I'm at work right now but if I recall, you want to create a track, turn on monitoring (bottom right of the track box), then right click on the track record button & make sure the 'Monitor Input' & 'Record: Input' are both selected. Choose your device from the 'Input: MIDI' (same menu as previous). Add any VI plugs as an insert and you should be good to go.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Yeah, the monitor button : ) And this is compounded by how the buttons can disappear if the track control isn't extended out enough. LOL, I'm also sitting elsewhere and trying to not do what I'm supposed to be doing : ) but the issue, IIRC, is only there when the record button is engaged. When it is you need to have the "record monitoring" button set right, either off, on or auto.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
Yeah, the monitor button : ) And this is compounded by how the buttons can disappear if the track control isn't extended out enough. LOL, I'm also sitting elsewhere and trying to not do what I'm supposed to be doing : ) but the issue, IIRC, is only there when the record button is engaged. When it is you need to have the "record monitoring" button set right, either off, on or auto.
Well, there's been a little progress, but still not completely fixed.

I did a "return to factory settings" and re-entered my in and out device, Focusrite 6i6.

I then dragged and dropped an Addictive Drums 2 loop into track one. Works like a dream. The settings are: MIDI:Focusrite USB:All channels.

Next move was to "Insert:virtual instrument on new track." I choose SampleTank 4. The settings are the same as track 1. SampleTank opens, I choose an instrument.

The "record monitoring" button is on. The track is armed. I press a controller key and it is recording drums again, on track 2.

I turned off the "record armed" and "record monitoring" buttons off on track 1.

Now, on track 2, I don't hear anything. The meters on both tracks are moving, but it is the drums playing on both tracks.

I know I'm getting close, but it is just to find whatever setting is messing me up. I'm looking forward to getting Reaper up and running because for the little bit I've played around in it so far, I'm thinking that I like it. Even though I am using it for the very first time I'm finding it very easy to navigate around in it.

Thanks again guys for your help!!! Very much appreciated.

/OM
Old 6 days ago
  #5
Gear Head
 
shmuelyosef's Avatar
I would suggest that you spend an hour or two watching some of Kenny Gioia's videos...particularly the <Reaper 5 explained> series.

I switched from Sonar Platinum shortly after the meltdown of Gibson, and watched a lot of the videos thru, as it is a pretty substantial paradigm shift to Reaper, even though I have been using DAWs for literally >>30 years...sigh.

Getting familiar with the user interface and the built-in time-saving devices will delight you and make you see how 'clunky' Sonar was (I started with Cakewalk when it was MIDI only and that plus Audacity and band-in-the-box was my total experience (besides hardware sequencers and synths).

Regarding your question...to audition and adjust sounds, you have to have Record Enable [ON] and Monitoring [ON]. You can leave monitoring on all the time, but make sure to turn Record Enable [OFF] on all the channels that you don't want to record before you hit <ctrl>-R

j
Old 6 days ago
  #6
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuelyosef View Post
I would suggest that you spend an hour or two watching some of Kenny Gioia's videos...particularly the <Reaper 5 explained> series.

I switched from Sonar Platinum shortly after the meltdown of Gibson, and watched a lot of the videos thru, as it is a pretty substantial paradigm shift to Reaper, even though I have been using DAWs for literally >>30 years...sigh.

Getting familiar with the user interface and the built-in time-saving devices will delight you and make you see how 'clunky' Sonar was (I started with Cakewalk when it was MIDI only and that plus Audacity and band-in-the-box was my total experience (besides hardware sequencers and synths).

Regarding your question...to audition and adjust sounds, you have to have Record Enable [ON] and Monitoring [ON]. You can leave monitoring on all the time, but make sure to turn Record Enable [OFF] on all the channels that you don't want to record before you hit <ctrl>-R

j
Yep... I started about the same time as you, and using the very same software. It's scary how fast time has flown by.

I'll have a look at the videos you suggest. But if I can't get it working right after that I'm just going to give up. I have better things to do than pulling what's left of my hair out and just getting frustrated. Cakewalk may not be up to standards compared to other DAWs but at least I was able to get it working. In fact, it just about set itself up on it's own.

Thanks for your help!!! Much appreciated.

/OM
Old 5 days ago
  #7
Go here my friend, spend you two hours here and you will rule Reaper: Reaper Videos – KennyMania
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Gear Head
Well, I kinda got it working. If anything, I figured out what was/is the root of my problem.

It seems that the trouble isn't Reaper. The problem is with Sample Tank.

I tried loading another VST into Reaper. It was a bass guitar from Cakewalk and it worked just fine as soon as I inserted it on a new track. I literally didn't have to touch any settings to make it work.

I then tried to insert a Sample Tank instrument on a new track. Same problem - no sound. And yes... the monitor recording button was set to "on" and "record" was armed.

But somehow, some way I clicked on something in the settings that made it work. However, I was pressing and trying so many different things, I can't really tell you what I did.

I tried checking the settings for the track above the Sample Track and everything looked exactly the same. But without the same results. *sigh*.

I saved the track as a template. And so when I added another new track for a Sample Tank instrument I simply opened my track template. Voila!!!

I know there must a setting somewhere that will load Sample Tank without having to do this, but so far I really don't know where it is. I'm wondering if there is anyone here that is using Sample Tank with Reaper. If so, I would love to hear from you to tell me the exact settings I should be using.

For everyone who has taken the time to offer their help to me, thanks so much... very appreciated.

/OM
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
noize_organizer / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
16
Kenny Gioia / Product Alerts older than 2 months
91

Forum Jump
Forum Jump