The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper Questions
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Reaper Questions

Hi all. So, I was just about to pull the plug and buy Cubase Artist after trying out the LE version that came boxed with my interface. Then I found out about Reaper via an article I read about podcast software. I've watched a lot of YT videos and read reviews. WOW this DAW gets great reviews. I do have some questions that will help me further determine if this is the right DAW for me.

1.) I am going to be using this software to record/edit my podcasts with. I don't see myself getting into the music side of things, but one never knows. So I've read that Reaper doesn't come with virtual instruments. Can I buy VIs and add them in?

2.) I have a 2017 iMac. How does this software run on a Mac?

3.) On my old Mac, I have the Acon Digital Acoustica Premium. Can I use the plugins from that in Reaper?

4.) Sorry, if I am not making sense with this question, but being away from DAW's and working with audio for a long time, I have to re-learn some things. Since I have a Mac and Apple is phasing out 32 bit apps to 64, does this affect plug-ins too? I know a lot of plug-ins are 32 bit still. So does this mean that I should be looking at only 64 bit plug-ins?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrant View Post
Hi all. So, I was just about to pull the plug and buy Cubase Artist after trying out the LE version that came boxed with my interface. Then I found out about Reaper via an article I read about podcast software. I've watched a lot of YT videos and read reviews. WOW this DAW gets great reviews. I do have some questions that will help me further determine if this is the right DAW for me.

1.) I am going to be using this software to record/edit my podcasts with. I don't see myself getting into the music side of things, but one never knows. So I've read that Reaper doesn't come with virtual instruments. Can I buy VIs and add them in?

2.) I have a 2017 iMac. How does this software run on a Mac?

3.) On my old Mac, I have the Acon Digital Acoustica Premium. Can I use the plugins from that in Reaper?

4.) Sorry, if I am not making sense with this question, but being away from DAW's and working with audio for a long time, I have to re-learn some things. Since I have a Mac and Apple is phasing out 32 bit apps to 64, does this affect plug-ins too? I know a lot of plug-ins are 32 bit still. So does this mean that I should be looking at only 64 bit plug-ins?

Thanks for your help!
1. I'm pretty sure there's a podcast track template around...the REAPER forum will have it as a download from their "stash" most likely

2. Reaper works fine with Mac, no problems at all.

3. I'm pretty sure if you own the plugins, or have iLok or similar access to them, and they are Au, VST or DX they will work in Reaper.

4. You can download both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Reaper and use either as it suits you. Reaper has bridging which allows 32 bit plugins to be used in 64 bit Reaper (at least the PC version does)

Download and install it for free....try it on the free time-unlimited trial basis, buy it if you like it. Lots and lots of video tutorial help on YouTube from sources like Reaper Mania, The Reaper Blog and Reaper TV, plus the free download manual is great also !
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks studer58 for you answers. Going to try it out!
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Addict

And yes, you can buy (or get free) virtual instruments and plug them in, everything from simple synths to multi-gigabyte sample libraries.

Another nice feature of Reaper is that you can do a portable install (install it on a USB key or other removable drive), allowing you to plug it into any computer and run Reaper directly from there, saving all your settings and configurations. It's so lightweight that you can do multiple portable installs on one USB key (e.g., one configuration for field recording, one for mixing, one for podcasting, etc.) and just choose which one you want to load.

The possibilities are almost endless, which is both the blessing and the curse of Reaper.
Old 19th April 2019
Once you use Reaper for a short time you will understand it can do everything any other Daw can do and usually it does it easier and better : ) you can also use any template that suits you best and there are a tome of them free at reaper.com.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search