The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
control surfaces for Reaper.. really?
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

control surfaces for Reaper.. really?

Are there *any* good fader controllers for Reaper?

Do any of you use them?

They all seem like plastic junk :(
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post

Do any of you use them?

I use an old AlphaTrack. It's not a tank but works well enough. Motorized fader, too.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

Do any of you use them?

They are mostly made of plastic for low cost...why would you want it made of steel ? To take on tour, for strength or reliability ? Are you going to lean on it with your elbows, like an old analog studio desk....or just write a bit of automation ? You can get touch sensitive faders now in controllers at a much lower cost than in former analog automated consoles. I use my plastic Zoom R16 for just this purpose. Where controllers of this ilk fall down is having short travel/throw, and having jumpy response to movement (soft takeover can help). They may be plastic, but the junk tag doesn't necessarily follow.
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
They are mostly made of plastic for low cost...why would you want it made of steel ? To take on tour, for strength or reliability ? Are you going to lean on it with your elbows, like an old analog studio desk....or just write a bit of automation ? You can get touch sensitive faders now in controllers at a much lower cost than in former analog automated consoles. I use my plastic Zoom R16 for just this purpose. Where controllers of this ilk fall down is having short travel/throw, and having jumpy response to movement (soft takeover can help). They may be plastic, but the junk tag doesn't necessarily follow.
Agreed - I'm not against all plastic.

The control surfaces just seem wobbly

Look at the Icon Pro series, not many good reviews

You kind of want something inspiring in the middle of your desk

But here is some nice plastic:

Moog Sonic Six | Vintage Synth Explorer
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

I use a Behringer X-Touch with my reaper DAW
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I use a Behringer X-Touch with my reaper DAW
Thanks. How's it working?

How long have you used it and what has the experience been?
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear
Before the XTouch came along, the plastic BCF /BCR series had many enthusiastic users.
Old 19th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks. How's it working?

How long have you used it and what has the experience been?
I've had mine for about 3 years, it works really well very fast and accurate. All your basic functions work really well. The only thing you won't be able to do is the color on the channel strip because that is a ethernet (using oss) that is proprietory to the mixers, and they refuse to give any reaper developers the protocol definitions so they can integrate it in the code.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Head

Panorama P1 has integration from Nektar, specific to Reaper - similar to the Cubase and Reason integrations.

Plastic faders, non motorized though. Soft takeover, so no jumping when matching on screen faders.
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Does the Avid S3 work with Reaper ?
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M Kelly View Post
Does the Avid S3 work with Reaper ?
It’s so closely integrated with pro tools

Seems you are better off using PT

If you spend the $$$$ on the S3
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Cheers,, had used it in Logic.. worked great but I felt I needed a change..
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

FaderPort Classic (V1). Doesn't feel cheap at all - metal/solid case and accurate motor.

Works a treat in Reaper.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear
The newish Behringer X Touch One (with a single motorized/touch-sensitive fader) has been released with overlay templates for several DAWS, and Reaper is one of these.

So presumably it integrates well via MCU ? Check the chat on the Cockos Reaper forums to verify this for yourself however...it's quite reasonably priced too !
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
The newish Behringer X Touch One (with a single motorized/touch-sensitive fader) has been released with overlay templates for several DAWS, and Reaper is one of these.

So presumably it integrates well via MCU ? Check the chat on the Cockos Reaper forums to verify this for yourself however...it's quite reasonably priced too !
From what I've read they don't have auto track following working properly yet, it's buggy.

FP Classic is the most stable/functional atm.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Faderport v1 user here too.
Totally great.
Reid Shippen uses one for his vocal rides.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Yup Faderport V1 here too
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmihe View Post
Panorama P1 has integration from Nektar, specific to Reaper - similar to the Cubase and Reason integrations.

Plastic faders, non motorized though. Soft takeover, so no jumping when matching on screen faders.
I've seen a couple of those sonicstate session where the Nektar guy demonstrated how to populate the screens on panorama with specific user choices. and he said it did that all through Reapers API. the new Nektar gear seems to be using a multi instrument host type affair. similar to Akai VIP. but the keyboard system isn't as integrated as the earlier P series were.

I'm currently thinking of ways to get at the basics such as volume, width and pan in reaper. the pans will need 201 values and the volume could probably handle 10 to 14 bit precision. I might first try it with my Novation remote. but the visual feedback in the P1 I can see could be advantageous. and I don't think it needs Mackie MCU to do it either. anything using MCU I don't think I'd be able to get to the width. just volume and pan I'd assume.

a Fader Port only has one pan.
Old 2nd April 2019
Gear Addict

I use an M Audio Projectmix with Reaper ... motorized faders, works absolutely great. 4 audio outputs, quad sound (rear surrounds for me). Discontinued model, shop on eBay.

The Qcon Icon Pro is also great, very nice brushed aluminium. Controller only, no audio soundcard (only headphones out), but still in production, and expandable with auxiliary units. And you can switch between Reaper / Logic / Pro Tools, etc., without having to do any programming. There are plastic overlays for the many controls as well.

Both are really nice, they don't feel cheap.
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

Anything that does Mackie Control Universal and has 8 faders or more works just fine.

If you're just looking for motorized faders, the Presonus Faderport series does well. I use the 16-fader version. It took the place of my old MCU for which replacements parts could no longer be found.

With Lemur or Touch OSC, you can use a tablet as well. I use Lemur on an iPad for all kinds of stuff.

Any EuCon controller should work as well, but you should test that if you're interested in one of those. Reaper has EuCon support. I've seen some users talk about their Artist Mix and Control units working just fine in Reaper.

You'll find more information and users in this forum section of the Reaper forum.
MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC - Cockos Incorporated Forums

It deals with all things around control hardware.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

I’ve used Mackie Modes from an Android running Lemur. except it was a MCU simulator which was really designed for Sonar, if I recall. so there were problems with it I found quite quickly. I use an array of buttons on it now, just for triggering Actions for certain things. though I kind of prefer Reapers own Toolbars if it comes down to it. in fact, Reaper using a small remote touchscreen with Reaper Toolbars on them would probably be the best way for me I’m guessing. that way I could just rely on standard everyday technology.

I also use the Novation Remote Zero, but don’t tend to use much of that in Mackie Mode. I tend to use it as a general purpose unit. but it works fine. I also use a Trigger Finger Pro which can send combinations of CTRL’s, Mackie, which I use for cursoring, and also it’s own Arsenal protocol which is used with its software. it’s similar to MCU by the looks of it.

generally speaking Reaper doesn’t seem to have much of an issue. I have the OSC JS Actions in Reapers Control/OSC/Web preferences. which is probably what I needed for Lemur to communicate using any OSC based commands.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Used the original MCU for years (the all-dark-grey one, not the uglier/heavier one). Loved it. Earlier this year, picked up an X-Touch. Dig it, too. I wish it had an angled scribble strip, though.... you have to angle it on the desk to get the most of it.... the X-Touch One is good, too.... I wouldn't consider nearly any of these control surfaces to be plastic junk. The MCU lasted me years. I kind of still miss it.

I WISH there was a way to make the jog wheel job by measure (exactly) instead of every 3 bars in scrub mode. By measure (at the start of each) would be WAY more ideal in a lot of situations, especially music recorded to a click.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search