The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using the Behringer X-Touch One
Old 5th February 2019
Here for the gear
Using the Behringer X-Touch One

I'm not sure if this is a Reaper question or a Behringer X-Touch One question, but I'm going a little crazy here...

I'd like to be able to use my X-Touch One to write automation in Reaper. The knob works for panning and the slider will adjust volume (and I'm satisfied with the results that I get in shaping those envelopes), but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change any other envelope using the XTO.

Ideally, what I'd like to be able to do is select the parameter I want to adjust (say, the frequency of an EQ band), and then use either the slider or the scrub wheel to write the envelope while recording. Essentially, is there a way to make either of those controls contextual? I don't care what I have to do to actually *select* the parameter, so long as I can use one of the controls to shape an envelope that isn't pan or volume.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Head

You might want to look at this YouTube. Can you set one of the function buttons to switch the automation mode to write? Then the fader should only be read for the current selected parameter. Give that a shot and see if it works. We have 3 X-Touches at the studio but I haven't been there in a while. If I can get a chance I'll test them with Reaper there. I use Reaper at home and the studio uses PT so I haven't tested them with Reaper yet. ****, I may just buy an X-Touch One right now to see if I can figure it out.
Old 22nd February 2019
Here for the gear
Hi JohnnieTech, I watched the video, but I wasn't able to glean anything helpful for my situation. It's like the slider is hardwired for volume, and volume only, even when only one envelope is set to write.
I've dug a little deeper, and my intuition is telling me that the way to go would be creating a track to house the ReaControlMIDI plugin, then sending the volume of that track to the parameter I want to write to. That might not be possible, but if I can figure it out, it seems like a potential workaround. Any advice for that? Thanks for the reply!
Old 25th February 2019
Gear Head

I went ahead and bought one just so I can figure it out. It's on backorder but as soon as I get it in i'll investigate.
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Head

I got my X-Touch One in today and you are absolutely correct that it does not allow any switch to automate anything but volume or pan. I'm sure you've done a lot of digging but there is a plugin project on reapers forums called CSI(Control Surface Integration) that is attempting to allow all sorts of customization to control surface controls. One user has been able to get quite a bit of X-Touch One working the way they use it. I'm determined to get the automation working as I use that constantly. The forum post is a long read but here is a link to it:

The control surface integration project (CSI) -- Midi for now but will include OSC - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Here is the GitHub link that references the X-Touch One user and their config files:

Home * malcolmgroves/reaper_csi Wiki * GitHub

I plan on digging in to the limited documentation(it is pre-alpha after all) and seeing if I can figure out a way to create a mode(called zones in this plugin I believe) to allow selection of automation lanes and then modification of said lane with the fader or encoder. If I figure it out i'll definitely come back and let you know.
Old 30th March 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks JohnnieTech; you've really gone above and beyond. Glad to know it's not just me. Hopefully, something can be figured out. I might just need to look for a different controller...
Old 18th April 2019
I'll need to check out this thread again soon, just got a Behringer X Touch myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieTech View Post
I went ahead and bought one just so I can figure it out. It's on backorder but as soon as I get it in i'll investigate.
That shows dedication! Whoa, thanks :-)
Old 21st April 2019
Here for the gear
What's your DAW, IronFilm? Epic beard, by the way
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieTech View Post
You might want to look at this YouTube. Can you set one of the function buttons to switch the automation mode to write?
I just took delivery of an X Touch One today and managed to map the function buttons in Samplitude Pro X4 to read and trim. I also set two more function buttons to enable volume and pan automation. in generally works pretty well although there are couple of quirks with fader bank switching.
Old 13th May 2019
Here for the gear
Now that I've been using my X-Touch One for a few months here's an update:
Using Reaper, I've had minimal issues with the bulk of functions. Transport works well, and the functions listed on the adhesive overlay for Reaper all seem to handle just fine. I frequently use the following: toggle repeat; toggle metronome; channel select, mute, solo, and record arm; control master; add marker; save; undo; bank and channel switch; zoom and pan; and shuttle. All of those handle quite well, with only rare bugs, always fixable by a DAW restart.
Now, the main issue: I never found a way to map the fader and rotary encoder to anything but volume and pan. Based on research, it doesn't seem to be possible at this time. If you want to control any other parameters--say, adjusting the gain on an EQ channel--with the fader/encoder, this device will not do it, not in Reaper.
Since one of my original goals was to be able to write automation (with something more user-friendly than the mouse), I saved up for a bit and bought a Nektar Panorama P6 and an Akai MPK261. It took less than an hour to get them playing nice with Reaper, and I've found their functionality to be a massive expansion of my DAW control capabilities. The XTO is still in my studio and gets used for transport and controlling master parameters.
Conclusion: the Behringer X-Touch One is a handy little device, but with its limitations, you may do better to save up and buy something more robust.
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

Ableton live -what functions work?

Ableton suite. I have a new XTO on the way and reading various threads, it seems like some functions of the controller don't work or not as expected with LIVE.

Does anyone have any experience with how to set this controller up in order to get the best usage from the controls?

I've included a LIVE overlay here (part of the XTO kit) as I'm expecting this to be correct and accurate YES?... NO?

Any feedback - Thank-you

overlay template: http://prntscr.com/nuusjh or see attached
Attached Thumbnails
Using the Behringer X-Touch One-live_overlay.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2019
Here for the gear
@ HouseofStrauss , One of those keyboards came with the Ableton 9 Live Lite; if I can find the time, I'll get that installed and let you know how everything works with that.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

can you switch off the motor of the fader? is there a quick shortcut? thanks!
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear
I haven't seen a way to turn off the motor. That doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't a way, but if there is, it's pretty obscured. When it's powered up but not "speaking" with any DAW or anything, it resets to the -inf position, and will return to that position if moved from it. I'd suspect (again, unconfirmed) that the motor operation is a firmware level thing and not just a setting.

What are you hoping to accomplish by disabling the motor? There might be a different workaround for achieving your goal.
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMRGuenther View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish by disabling the motor? There might be a different workaround for achieving your goal.
Just being able to shut off the noisey fader jumping around is sometimes handy. On my Mackie Control there are some workarounds like FLIP to some unused auxes, but there's also no elegant easy way.

The 'Steinberg' Overlay has a button labeled 'MOTORS', so Nuendo/Cubase might have this integrated into their protocol.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

I was wondering can you use the X-Touch One to adust the EQ bands in Logic Pro X. Can you assign individual plugin parameters such as the reverb output parameter to the X-Touch One and how? Thanks. Neal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search