The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper/DAW strange recording issue
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

Reaper/DAW strange recording issue

Hello,

I’m having a strange issue in Reaper when recording audio from my drum machines.

I press record and the very first drum hits are recorded with about 2000 samples of added latency. From that point on, they are perfectly in time with no latency issues to speak of. So basically, the start of all my recordings have noticeable lag/delay startup time, but then the recording corrects itself and there are no further issues.

Any ideas on what the problem would be and how to fix it?

Thanks
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Maybe post this on the very helpful reaper forums? REAPER Forums - Cockos Incorporated Forums
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

I did, no response
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Something to do with MIDI?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDynamix View Post
I did, no response

Really? no-one even ask you "what drum machine?" "what interface?" "can you post a sample small project that shows this behaviour?"

Very unlike the reaper lot. :-)
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac
You tried to enable pre-roll? I think it's hidden under the metronome icon (right click).

Also there's this : How do I slave an external drum machine to Reaper? - Cockos Incorporated Forums
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

Just tried the pre-roll. Huge improvement but still not perfect
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Glad that helped a bit. I've never got my head around Midi timecode, but I gather it can be a bit "implementation specific". I suggest you consult the documentation for your specific drum machine to see if it's anything special it needs to get synchronised at the start - and maybe ask the question again on the reaper forums giving as much specific info as you can. Unless anyone here has any other suggestions. Good luck.
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnieK View Post
Maybe post this on the very helpful reaper forums? REAPER Forums - Cockos Incorporated Forums
I tried that. No luck yet, so I'm trying here.

My Reaper DAW died yesterday. CANNOT record! AND, if I select the Input dropdown I cannot change or select Input: Stereo. It's a dead link. I CAN select MIDI or None. However, then I cannot go back and select Input: Mono. I have to close the project without saving and reopen it. The path for saving the tracks is set correctly. I have been recording with no issues for a few weeks. One note, I did download a WAVES plugin, but was never able find it in Reaper. A previous Waves plugin worked fine. Not sure it's relevant, but my recording issues starting around the same time.

WHAT IS GOING ON!? I'm about to uninstall Reaper and look for another DAW! I don't want to do that, because up until now I LOVED Reaper!!
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by daco2000 View Post

My Reaper DAW died yesterday. CANNOT record! AND, if I select the Input dropdown I cannot change or select Input: Stereo. It's a dead link.
That smells like a driver issue. "What interface do you use?" "Have you got the appropriate ASIO driver installed?" "Have you selected that driver (in Options->Preferences->Audio->Device)" Are the sort of questions you should be asked.

[EDIT] I'm guessing windows. If MacOS, well, which?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search