The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Native Linux REAPER favorite interface...
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Native Linux REAPER favorite interface...

REAPER has released a native linux version DAW. I am finding it a virtually flawless beta. Obvious concerns would be compatible interfaces with linux and REAPER. What interface are you using and how well is it performing? I am using a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd gen) Everything is functioning perfectly. (I am using Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon).
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict

I would think any Class-Compliant USB interface that doesn't require specific drivers would be okay: I'm not using Reaper yet but plan to switch to it; I used Ardour for a few years in Linux with a Sound Devices USB Pre2 and it worked flawlessly.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Ardour

I still use Ardour. I love it for quite a few things. It will probably be my back up DAW. For certain songs I will always like it, Not to mention I want to keep certain linux only plugins!
Old 29th November 2018
Lives for gear

Class compliancy

Yes it would seem that any class compliant interface would work, But dealing with Linux is not quites the same as Win/Apple. You would think they are all interchangeable with any OS. There can be many class compliant type elements on any device. Usb class compliancy has a few alone (Usb 1, Usb 2 etc) In the early going focusrite was one of the few that worked well with Linux. Now there are many many more choices. Yes you can always work around somehow. Like running VST/AU/AAX or Ladspa LV3 etc, and can get tricky alone for newbies. Using WINE or a bridge or wrapper can also further the problem. Or sometimes you get and over ride of 'Pulse' from ALSA. I have had absolutely no problem Focusrite interface with Linux / Linux Reaper / Fedora / Ardour / Audacity / Audacious etc. I was wondering who else is having great success with specific interfaces while running Reaper Cockos Native Linux. I am also running a lot of Plug ins that will not work on Windows - Linux Only... And I am running quite of few Windows VSTs on Linux too. tc
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Nut

all CC soundcards + USB consoles works out of the box + AVB Motu
it's a game changer.

I'm working on it
100% Linux for everything:

My project:

AVB or Allen and eath console
32C
Bitwig
reaper
steam
spotify

on Linux

Ftm:

Yamaha MGXU
Mixbus 5
reaper
waveform
steam with proton
codeweavers for AA translator
DV Resolve
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

nice set up

[QUOTE=PascalC;13670248]all CC soundcards + USB consoles works out of the box + AVB Motu
it's a game changer.

I'm working on it
100% Linux for everything:

Ya i am 95 % Linux but not as good set up as you. But you can work magic anyplace.
Bitwig /' Reaper is solid combo on Linux. I use Reaper/Ardour along with all the other free ones... LMMS Audacity Rosegarden Zyn Ravegen etc. would love to have spectral wave or adobe for graphic editing though,
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Where are you guys with the Linux/Reaper combo?" I like Linux and am thinking about dual-booting it on my W10. Are you still happy with Reaper on Linux? Any problems? Stability? Quality of finished product (CD)?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
Where are you guys with the Linux/Reaper combo?" I like Linux and am thinking about dual-booting it on my W10. Are you still happy with Reaper on Linux? Any problems? Stability? Quality of finished product (CD)?
Yea it is my main driver DAW. I am extremely happy with everything about it. Customization is unsurpassed IMO. Although you might lose a vst or 2 you gain all the linvst lapsdas etc. But I have one system that boots both Win & Linux Reaper on the same screen/one pc - I can switch from one to the other fast and use All the Win and Linux plugins. I would suggest you pick the Linux of your choice. (Mint/Ubuntu/Xfce/Fedora etc,) Create a live boot flash drive or CD and load 'Reaper Native Linux, on it. Live boot it on you PC (it will run just on ram/without changing your pc settings) And test drive it. I have my main driver set up for cold swapping or sata switch hard drives. One hard drive has Linux mint cinnamon the other has Win. Go over to Reaper Cockos Native Linux Forum and check out the small tight helpful & brilliant community and browse the posts. IF I am trying to do something that has never been done before... I get same day replies and usually the info I needed. Many people there have dual boots too. Some people who track live have latency down to a minimum but that usually takes RTK real time kernel OS (not hard). I have just set up an external editor that I can flip flop between Audacity or Proprietary editors with ease. The quality is superb. I run 48khertz generally; but run 8khz to 192khz ~ 64pt to 768pt hq sinc - 64bit float: great quality & algorithms. CD quality great! Dialed in upload to platforms excellent. The only crashes I ever had was trying to do a few crazy experimental plugin or stand alone loads into Reaper - but I have never lost any info and DAW rebooted with out a hiccup. (by the way I am batting about 50% on these crazy projects working. (Zyn/Synths/Rave generator etc & I posted my experiences with them on the site) The head mod is always reachable and is spearheading the development. I am sure you would get a warm welcome there and they would get you dream set up going within 24 hours... just guessing, good luck keep in-touch.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

OK, way cool. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been dabbling in Mint. I have it on a laptop and am trying to get it to dual boot on my ancient Dell tower. It has not installed in two tries. Maybe the third time is the charm.

I am using SAM Pro X3 on W10 and have been using SAM for years now, starting with their stripped down $40 or $50 version way back. It works just great for me but Windows is just too much of a liability. The less use I can make of it the better I will fell.

Thanks again!
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, way cool. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been dabbling in Mint. I have it on a laptop and am trying to get it to dual boot on my ancient Dell tower. It has not installed in two tries. Maybe the third time is the charm.

I am using SAM Pro X3 on W10 and have been using SAM for years now, starting with their stripped down $40 or $50 version way back. It works just great for me but Windows is just too much of a liability. The less use I can make of it the better I will fell.

Thanks again!
I often use windows PE or Hirams - I have used dual boot / but I much prefer to have separate hard drives. In my past dual boots I have loaded Windows 1st - generally. It wants to have control over the bios. usually. I Like to have a mobo bios set up that both OSs like - that was/is always key for me... and from there I never had problems... (Uefi/legacy etc) I ditched windows years ago. I also have a set up with Modicia running Linux as first priority and Windows running under wine... with out a hitch too. Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon - is such a solid choice. I think the repository set up and testing is much better than Ubuntu - although that is good too. If you go with Mint... I urge you to load 'Timeshift' for automatic 'last good known configuration; in case you run into a snag. I have never needed it. If you have an ancient dell there are lighter weight distros... Linux Mint sfce - is good choice. GL give a yell if I could help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If you want to save yourself all the setup and at least half the time you could try a distribution already setup for music. I use AVLinux and it is great, the new 2019 version works great and I have Reaper Native and Reaper Win64 both working with a massive amount of Win VST (Win & LinVST).

Give it a try I'm sure you'll like it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver699 View Post
If you want to save yourself all the setup and at least half the time you could try a distribution already setup for music. I use AVLinux and it is great, the new 2019 version works great and I have Reaper Native and Reaper Win64 both working with a massive amount of Win VST (Win & LinVST).

Give it a try I'm sure you'll like it.
Nice there is a few good plug and plays... Like AV... Debian and 'Stretch' flavors are favorites. Here is a few things included in AVLinux: AV Linux ships with a number of audio, graphics, and video software. They include Ardour, Audacity, Hydrogen, MuseScore, Calf Studio Gear, GIMP, Inkscape, Shotwell, Blender, Kdenlive, Openshot, and Cinelerra.

I still use Ardour... especially for a difference in creative work flow... Hydrogen is nice drum machine when you make some quick drum kits (many free kits to download too). Use audacity from Reaper is GREAT... Open and edit audio item in second editor. Inkscape is fast nice thumbnail or title page editor. Video making is EZ and quick Kdenlive is great for stripping out audio from vids with good codecs for YT and uploads.

So many useful plugins on CALF alone.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll see if I can get Mint installed over the weekend. I forgot what it balked at the last two times but I will try it again. I am just wrapping up a mix of a local chamber orchestra and have some great Freak Mountain Rambler recordings I am remixing. Archival of live performances which came out pretty well. "America's Best Bar Band." But it is no more.

Cheers and thanks for the help that was sent my way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll see if I can get Mint installed over the weekend. I forgot what it balked at the last two times but I will try it again. I am just wrapping up a mix of a local chamber orchestra and have some great Freak Mountain Rambler recordings I am remixing. Archival of live performances which came out pretty well. "America's Best Bar Band." But it is no more.

Cheers and thanks for the help that was sent my way.
Sounds like a good project... gl on that...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search