The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Help with downloading vst plug ins for reaper
Old 18th October 2018
Here for the gear

Help with downloading vst plug ins for reaper

It's my first time ever downloading a DAW and trying to put vst plug in using reaper. I tried to download a simple acoustic piano plug in from the website "vst4free".
But when I did I used the vst preferences as a video tutorial explained after I downloaded I couldn't find the plug in anywhere so I thought maybe my midi keyboard wasn't working but it was working quite fine when I used the synthesizer plug in so the midi controller isn't the problem.

I thought maybe something went wrong in the process of downloaded so I deleted the file and downloaded again but still I can't find the vst.

Could someone tell me why this is happening and how they download their plug-ins then implement them to reaper?
Old 18th October 2018
I'm not familiar with Reaper specifically, but most vst plugs will download to a default folder, something like 'Steinberg/vstplugins' maybe. Look for a .dll file of the missing plug and check to see where Reaper wants plugins. It might be a folder called "VSTs' or 'Effects' or something. Just copy the .dll file to Reapers VST folder, restart, and you should be good.
Old 10th December 2018
Gear Addict

Hope you've gotten this sorted out by now. But in the interest of anyone who found the post in searching for an answer to this question: It depends on whether you're in OS X or Windows, but it will be where any VST audio plugins go, not specific to Reaper. In OS X a vst plugin will go into the VST plugin that's at user/library/audio/Plugins/VST for plugins only accessible to this user, or they can also go into the VST folder for anyone on the computer, which would be Library/Audio/Plugins/VST. You would need to put it in when Reaper isn't running, or else restart Reaper so it can look at the plugin folders when booting and load what's in them. That's it.

Then you'd put it on a track by clicking on the FX button, which opens the FX browser. It will list everything in the plugin folders so it's best to highlight just the VST category on the left. If it's a VST instrument try the VSTi category. Reaper should be seeing it and presenting it in in the right hand side of this window. Click on it to load the plugin onto the track.

That's pretty much it. It's important to use plugins meant for your system, as Windows plugins won't work in OS X and vice versa.

It's also important to understand the difference between older 32 bit plugins and current 64 bit ones (which have nothing to do with audio bits but with modern OS accessing full amounts of RAM). Reaper can deal with both, but generally if you're on a fairly current computer skip the older 32 bit plugins. They may do odd things (like not show up) if your computer is running in 64 bit mode. If you're on an older computer, possibly one that doesn't even support 64 bit mode with the system you are running, then you need to stick with 32 bit older versions. Maybe this was what happened?
Old 12th June 2019
Here for the gear

Perhaps so but I managed to somehow fix it and its been working well since.
Old 17th June 2019
Here for the gear

I'm on REAPER 64 bit, W7.

A. I create a new folder every year on my C: drive. This year's is called VST 2019 (just to keep things organized).

B. When I download a VST or VSTi, I look in my Windows "Downloads" folder, then I drag it into the desktop.

C. Unzip your VST. Find the .dll file and put it in your VST 2019 folder.

D. Put the address to your 'VST 2019' folder in REAPER, so it knows where to look - C:/VST 2019". Here's how to do that:

In REAPER, click the drop down menu called "Options". Now go to Preferences/VST. That's where to "tell" REAPER where your VST folder is.

You can put more than one location there - just separate them with a ";" semicolon.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search