The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodbye to Reaper? Workflow Help Needed DAW Software
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Goodbye to Reaper? Workflow Help Needed

Alrighty, here's another "help me, I'm not sure what to choose" plea. Bear with me... I seem to only post these... I have no friends that are into music production.

I've been using Reaper for years, and have become proficient in it. I can do most anything I want (which admittedly is not hugely complex), but I can't get past the ITB feeling... I don't like the workflow. There are no EQ or Comps to "twist", I hate switching between a lot of plugins, and I want at least the feel of an analog(ish) workflow (until my dreams of having an actual console come true). Don't get me wrong, Reaper is great. Powerful, customizable, sleek, but I just can't shake my irritation at searching for/adding plugins just to make minor EQ/Comp adjustments, and other minor things (like the stock plugins' GUI, pre-fader metering, etc.).

I'm thinking about switching to another DAW, and would like to hear from people who have used other DAWs (such as Harrison Mixbus and Reason) as to whether they think I'd benefit from switching. To help, here's what I think I'd value in a DAW, if I could have my cake and eat it. Won't blow your socks off, don't worry. I'm no pro!
  • Mimics analog workflow (at least to some extent) - easy access to EQ, Comp, and other channel strip "knobs" in mixer. Ideally, without a plugin.
  • Use of groups and busses are intuitive.
  • Has pre-fader metering, unlike Reaper (or a workaround, like Reaper).
  • MIDI setup, recording, and editing is intuitive and good (including multichannel like Superior Drummer). I use about 50% audio recordings and 50% MIDI (by necessity, not choice). I'd like to be able to print the MIDI to audio once I'm done arranging it ("freeze" in Reaper, I believe).
  • When using a plugin, access to parameters is readily available in Mixer window (Reaper does this a bit)
  • Plays well with controllers - automation, faders, the usual (I have an X-Touch currently).
  • Helps me listen more and watch less (I know, this is just my personal problem )
  • Can work on Mac or Windows, hopefully licensing transferring to different computers (the latter is less important)

EDIT: I forgot to add that while I want to record others, and have done it a little, my primary purpose right now is songwriting, arrangement, and production of my own material. I would like to be able to use it for hosting other musicians and engineering as well.

Probably more I could add, but you get the idea. I have my eye on Reason and Harrison Mixbus because I think they fit my needs/wants to varying degrees.

Thanks very much ahead of time to anyone willing to point me in the right direction. And I know, it ultimately doesn't matter as long as the music is good!

Last edited by mortalsphere; 6 days ago at 11:06 AM.. Reason: What I will use it for!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Ok, should be able to see this thread now! It was caught in a filter.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalsphere View Post
Alrighty, here's another "help me, I'm not sure what to choose" plea. Bear with me... I seem to only post these... I have no friends that are into music production.

I've been using Reaper for years, and have become proficient in it. I can do most anything I want (which admittedly is not hugely complex), but I can't get past the ITB feeling... I don't like the workflow. There are no EQ or Comps to "twist", I hate switching between a lot of plugins, and I want at least the feel of an analog(ish) workflow (until my dreams of having an actual console come true). Don't get me wrong, Reaper is great. Powerful, customizable, sleek, but I just can't shake my irritation at searching for/adding plugins just to make minor EQ/Comp adjustments, and other minor things (like the stock plugins' GUI, pre-fader metering, etc.).

I'm thinking about switching to another DAW, and would like to hear from people who have used other DAWs (such as Harrison Mixbus and Reason) as to whether they think I'd benefit from switching. To help, here's what I think I'd value in a DAW, if I could have my cake and eat it. Won't blow your socks off, don't worry. I'm no pro!
  • Mimics analog workflow (at least to some extent) - easy access to EQ, Comp, and other channel strip "knobs" in mixer. Ideally, without a plugin.
  • Use of groups and busses are intuitive.
  • Has pre-fader metering, unlike Reaper (or a workaround, like Reaper).
  • MIDI setup, recording, and editing is intuitive and good (including multichannel like Superior Drummer). I use about 50% audio recordings and 50% MIDI (by necessity, not choice). I'd like to be able to print the MIDI to audio once I'm done arranging it ("freeze" in Reaper, I believe).
  • When using a plugin, access to parameters is readily available in Mixer window (Reaper does this a bit)
  • Plays well with controllers - automation, faders, the usual (I have an X-Touch currently).
  • Helps me listen more and watch less (I know, this is just my personal problem )
  • Can work on Mac or Windows, hopefully licensing transferring to different computers (the latter is less important)

EDIT: I forgot to add that while I want to record others, and have done it a little, my primary purpose right now is songwriting, arrangement, and production of my own material. I would like to be able to use it for hosting other musicians and engineering as well.

Probably more I could add, but you get the idea. I have my eye on Reason and Harrison Mixbus because I think they fit my needs/wants to varying degrees.

Thanks very much ahead of time to anyone willing to point me in the right direction. And I know, it ultimately doesn't matter as long as the music is good!
You can have the best of both worlds. Keep Reaper for editing then run it into Mixbus for mixing.
Or Reaper, Mixbus then add some considered outboard purchases later

YouTube
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the video! That was really interesting. So basically you are using Mixbus as a console and routing the audio through it.

Out of curiosity, though, why would you send your master mix back into Reaper? Why not keep it in Mixbus and bounce it down there?

Also, while that does seem like an interesting option, why not switch DAWs altogether instead of having to worry about ReaRoute I/Os, etc.? That seems like it would complicate the process a little. Plus, since you are running both at once, doesn't that eat up CPU?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just seems easier to keep your audio files in one place after editing etc., otherwise you will need to copy them or route to Mixbus somehow. Probably not too onerous though, although I do find the Mixbus file system clunky.
First time I rendered a track in it it took a while to find it!
It's really easy to link the DAW's.

The thing with Mixbus it's fairly cpu lite, as the eq's / levellers / comps / saturation are all part of the DAW, so no plugins are necessary, although you can use other plugs if you want to. Some third party plugs won't play nicely. Mixbus also do their own additional plugin comps and mastering stuff.

Personally I find Reaper so easy to use and navigate, plus got the routing set up for my outboard, so I use Mixbus as a big plug-in. It's more intuitive than the regular way of working, (especially if you are used to consoles / mixers). Does add a nice subtle vibe to tracks too.

Final thought, both DAW's bought together cost less than some of the better known ones, ("spits" ).
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Just seems easier to keep your audio files in one place after editing etc., otherwise you will need to copy them or route to Mixbus somehow. Probably not too onerous though, although I do find the Mixbus file system clunky.
First time I rendered a track in it it took a while to find it!
It's really easy to link the DAW's.

The thing with Mixbus it's fairly cpu lite, as the eq's / levellers / comps / saturation are all part of the DAW, so no plugins are necessary, although you can use other plugs if you want to. Some third party plugs won't play nicely. Mixbus also do their own additional plugin comps and mastering stuff.

Personally I find Reaper so easy to use and navigate, plus got the routing set up for my outboard, so I use Mixbus as a big plug-in. It's more intuitive than the regular way of working, (especially if you are used to consoles / mixers). Does add a nice subtle vibe to tracks too.

Final thought, both DAW's bought together cost less than some of the better known ones, ("spits" ).

Yeah, I see what you're saying. That video (I don't know if that was you or not) shows that it's pretty simple, just some I/O settings and done.

I knew that the mixer's EQs, comps, etc. were all part of the DAW in Mixbus, but their FAQ says it is more CPU than other DAWs because of this. But like you said, the good thing is you don't have to add many (or any) plugins to it! Nice.

The price is definitely a nice thing. I watched a series of videos on Reason, and it looks good too, especially the SSL styled mixer. But I don't really like the workflow of the editor. Reaper's seems to be a lot more streamlined.

Have you tracked in Mixbus? I'm really interested in that, and also the MIDI functions, which I've heard are still lacking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search