The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper and recording MIDI drums
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Reaper and recording MIDI drums

I currently use Pro Tools 11.3 native and it very easy to record the electric drum kit via BFD3. Just put the BFD3 plugin on the track and hit record and the drummers playing is recorded as MIDI.

I am looking at Reaper as a second DAW and I cannot get Reaper to record MIDI from the drums as they are played.

The drums are enabled and the channel is set to record midi but no midi notes are recorded.

I have watched a few YouTube videos but none deal with recording an electric kit direct to Reaper.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

I think you need to make sure your midi interface is selected under "Input midi" for the track and you can see input by the narrow bar on the right of the meter. And also that "Record Input (audio or midi) is also selected.

I have also used "Record Output - Record Output(midi)" if your plugin itself is generating the midi as in using a groove in the plugin.
Old 9th March 2017
Deleted User
You need to make sure the midi port is TURNED ON in Reaper if you will

1. Options/Preferences/Midi Devices, then Right click on the Midi Input port you are using then Configure Input.
2. After that, check the Enable Input from this device and also Enable Input for Control Messages (High Hat/Cymbal chokes etc)

***NOTE**

This rule also applies to the MIDI OUPUTS as well, you have to ENABLE the ones you need to use which then allows you to select the output on the track in the mixer
Old 9th March 2017
I once had a sound module get accidentally moved/set to something other than 'midi out' ...

> So start at the source 1st, your drum module, and make sure any physical switch is set properly, then it's internal settings for sending midi out. Pay attention to what MIDI CHANNEL you're transmitting on.

> Next your midi cable, make sure it's inserted in the modules output, then your midi interface's input (unless you're using USB?).

> In the DAW software, make sure you're setting to receive the same MIDI CHANNEL you're drum module is transmitting on. I'm assuming Reaper has a midi filter so make sure you're not filtering out the desired midi channel. Check that you have the midi track selected, and armed for record, then that individual tracks midi Input & Output selected.
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

No luck

I had already tried most of the suggestions and did all that was suggested but still no luck. No reply from the folks at Reaper either.
Old 10th March 2017
Deleted User
1. Turn on the Record Monitoring button on the track

2. Turn on the Record Arm on the track as well, record arm it if you will

*If Protools is doing your midi just fine then its a Reaper setting you are missing. I use an E kit here as well without issues
Old 18th March 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks

Wanted to come back and thank everyone for their help.

Got it working and am learning more about Reaper everyday.
Old 29th May 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
Wanted to come back and thank everyone for their help.

Got it working and am learning more about Reaper everyday.
Tell us what you did so others can learn from it
Old 5th May 2019
Here for the gear

To sum up: Add a new track after the Drum Track. In "Sends and Receives" on the Drum Track (found among the icons on the track controls-the panel on the right side of the track) choose the new track, the one you want to record the MIDI to, select for Audio "None" and for MIDI "All" (or a specific channel- probably 10 for drums, but All is a safe bet to start). Set the track controls of the receiving track to (counterintuitively) "Record Output", "MIDI", and "All" (or the specific channel); Arm that channel to record (with the round button on the track controls), and push the transport record button.

Last edited by darko x; 5th May 2019 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: mistakes and clarity
Old 9th May 2019
Here for the gear
Why Bother With Reaper?

Quote:
I currently use Pro Tools 11.3 native and it very easy to record the electric drum kit via BFD3. Just put the BFD3 plugin on the track and hit record and the drummers playing is recorded as MIDI.

I am looking at Reaper as a second DAW and I cannot get Reaper to record MIDI from the drums as they are played.

The drums are enabled and the channel is set to record midi but no midi notes are recorded.

I have watched a few YouTube videos but none deal with recording an electric kit direct to Reaper.

Any help would be appreciated.
Just curious. Pro Tools is a decent DAW and Reaper is not. It is hard to use and unstable. If you go to the Cockos forum you will see that most of the threads are user trying to get it to work, trouble shooting and trying workarounds. It's also UGLY!
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingerSongWriter View Post
Just curious. Pro Tools is a decent DAW and Reaper is not. It is hard to use and unstable. If you go to the Cockos forum you will see that most of the threads are user trying to get it to work, trouble shooting and trying workarounds. It's also UGLY!
Bit late to the show. This was posted quite a while back and I have since deleted all references to Reaper from my DAW. Much to cumbersome to use compared to PT.

Just work in PT for all my needs now.

Please no post telling me how great Reaper is. My comments are just my opinions.
Old 9th May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Bit late to the show. This was posted quite a while back and I have since deleted all references to Reaper from my DAW. Much to cumbersome to use compared to PT.

Just work in PT for all my needs now.

Please no post telling me how great Reaper is. My comments are just my opinions.
Smart!

I tried Reaper years ago and it was terrible. Stick with a real DAW designed by real engineers for real people.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search