The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.

Heard about reaper years ago but never investigated about it deeply.

Best thing about it if learn all key commands and shortcuts can work faster in it than in any other daw.

Highly customizable. Unlimited inserts and sends. Powerful midi!! Built in "vocalign killer". Lightweight. Stable. Fast load. Not just mono or stereo or 7ch 6.1 tracks but up to 64 channels per track.
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Nut
take care now everyone is going to say you're a member of a new audio sect
that's the only price you'll have to pay for your new freedom, but everything else is simply GREAT
I wish I had been a reaper user a long time before buying sampro, sonar cubase and a lot of another ones. (and sometimes full of bugs)
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

It is a rock.
It is so simple that makes you wonder why some things look so complicated elsewhere.
It loads so fast.
I never had a crash in years. Never.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
It makes me feel funny where my bathing suit covers. It's that good.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
Built in "vocalign killer".
Can someone expand on this? This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Can someone expand on this? This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Actually it's additional script.

Lua: Align takes - align your back vocals, guitars, drums, etc - Cockos Confederated Forums

Not sure if there's another one like that for reaper. For some reason my memory tells me yes.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually it's additional script.

Lua: Align takes - align your back vocals, guitars, drums, etc - Cockos Confederated Forums

Not sure if there's another one like that for reaper. For some reason my memory tells me yes.
Very interesting. Thank you.

I'm going to have to give this a try.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Head

Reaper is amazing for scripting.
It's the only DAW which properly allows that. I wish other DAWs did that.
Ableton Live + Max allow some scripting but in a different way.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
Yes, it is amazing. After using Pro Tools, it's like breathing fresh air after living in Beijing during years of smog alerts.

Ridiculously good, and getting better all the time. And ridiculously cost effective as well.

Quote:

Best thing about it if learn all key commands and shortcuts can work faster in it than in any other daw.

Highly customizable. Unlimited inserts and sends. Powerful midi!! Built in "vocalign killer". Lightweight. Stable. Fast load. Not just mono or stereo or 7ch 6.1 tracks but up to 64 channels per track.
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm coming from cubase.

The transition is not easy since I'm used to cubase key commands and quick tools of right-click
Old 24th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm coming from cubase.

The transition is not easy since I'm used to cubase key commands and quick tools of right-click
Keymap from Cubase - Cockos Confederated Forums
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

i watched a bunch of the Kenny Gioia Tutorials on youtube last night on Reaper - i fell asleep and missed 10-15 of them - kenny voice soothed me into a lullaby of Reaper haha ... he does a great job showing you real world things ... i have it here (not paid yet) but need to buy it .. it can seem quite complicated as the key commands are different but very logical .. very flexible .. maybe too much .. i will try it on a project again, tried it years ago and it was missing some features but it seems like they have come a long long way .. just need to learn a few tricks and off i go .. not going to get rid of PT as i need that for working in post right now .. but i could see trying a tune or two and see how it feels ..

and 60.00 is a crazy good price for all it offers .. cheers john
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Is there any reason to continue with Pro Tools other than legacy projects? What does Reaper do better than PT and vice versa? I downloaded the Reaper demo, which is telling me I've had it for 1100+ days but is generously still allowing me to continue using it. (I must have installed it a few years ago but never took the time to investigate.) I'm looking for a good reason to walk away from the AVID pricing plan. So far I'm not really a fan of the look of reaper. Other than that it's been smooth.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Yes, it is amazing. After using Pro Tools, it's like breathing fresh air after living in Beijing during years of smog alerts.

Ridiculously good, and getting better all the time. And ridiculously cost effective as well.
Yeah, after ProTools? Almost ANY decent DAW is like breath of fresh air.

ProTools seriously sucks, I mean sucks so badly that it only exists based on past victories and stuck-in-the-mud users who refuse to let go (also those who are like badge snobs who don't even use the term "DAW" they just namedrop "ProTools" at every chance as if the mere mention if it makes them "pro")

Ok, in fairness some are stuck on it as they can't learn new DAWS (thick), others because they have worked deep in the industry and like the format that is a 'standard'. It surely isn't because it's a great DAW though. Outdated, outclassed, clunky, ugly and a nightmare to use with anything like a semblance of musical 'flow'.

So anyway, I felt much the same moving FROM Cubase, part time pro tools (forced on me for various reasons back when I worked somewhere) and dabbling with Reaper....

... but I moved to Studio One. Wow, now THAT is a DAW. It makes protools seem like bars and pipes on the amiga (my first computer sequencer - yeah I'm semi-old), it made cubase feel like the convoluted overblown dinosaur it's become and it made reaper feel rather quaint (and pretty clunky too) I'm afraid.

I could write an entire essay about why Studio One is light years ahead of everything else but just watch these videos from pro users who switched (most from ProTools)

http://www.presonus.com/products/Stu...tl-L8zY7KyvpyQ

All pretty much agree, as do S1 fans around here, nothing touches Studio One. You owe it to yourselves to demo it, hard, 30 days and do a proper project in it and then go back to any other DAW and feel depressed.

I know reaper fans won't want to hear it but I found reaper pretty bad for anything but tweaking in 'hardcore' mode like some DAW NERD. For actual mixing, workflow, plug-in handling and all that, it's not really much better than older stuff. Loads of right click menus and far too much fuss going on.

Studio One is the true 'breath of fresh air' the entire DAW industry needed. I defy anyone to work as fast, musically or with the DAW getting out of the way and the mix/production being totally in focus as much as they can with Studio One. It has protools/cubase keymappings to aid crossing over too.

DAWS can become like a religion so people dismiss them out of hand but I guarantee anyone who really pits reaper against studio one and isn't looking for reasons to hate S1 (ie comparing plug-in CPU usage which is better in Reaper) will discover that Studio One is the best bits from all DAWs (other than super deep midi) streamlined and lots of fun to work with.

When I see people on protools vids still right click searching lists of plug-ins I and wince every time. Drag and drop baby! keep the browser pane open and drag and drop, everything to everything, in 1 click in studio one it's 4-5 clicks and lots of futzing around in protools, cubase AND reaper. I just don't get why people would continue to do that to themselves when Studio One finally nailed workflow like no other DAW.

Of course it's more expensive but quality costs.

Reaper now comes off to me like a pet-project DAW not a serious production/mixing environment where time, workflow and quality counts. That said, I'd prob still use it over ProTools these days if cubase and studio one didn't exist.

Sonar is pretty bad too (as is mixbus)
Old 25th January 2017
Reaper kills on PC - it's so light on cpu and so reliable. For the price it's the best deal out there by far, on PC anyway.

I ve never used studio 1 but frankly I have zero interest in dropping $500 or a nicer GUI. I m sure it's a great daw, but there's nothing Reaper can't do for my uses. Reaper 's implementation of plugins is great - you can create favorite folders, track templates with fx, save fx chains, and copy paste fx from one track to the next.

You can drag and drop sends etc.

Once you're familiar with it, Reaper is a breeze and it never crashes - it's so reliable!
Old 25th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Not just mono or stereo or 7ch 6.1 tracks but up to 64 channels per track.
Large part of why I transitioned over. Regular running of multiple 8 and 24 channel wide stems in a session for orchestral recordings, which are a snap to set up in Reaper. Often simultaneously delivering NHK22.2, 7.1 and stereo stems and final mixes, and running 128+ channels in a session with no slow down in performance on a 2009 Mac Pro. Stable, responsive.

Lately, I've been testing 30.2 "La Totale" configurations, only Pyramix handles tracks 64 channels wide. For wide fixed channel configurations, you have two choices, and only one of them runs on OS X and Linux.

Lua scripting was the other major factor. Every two weeks Reaper gets a sizable update, but why wait for a feature to be implemented, simply write a script and you're off to the races. See a DAW offer a useful feature, write a script and you're good to go. Not everything though is possible with scripting due to constraints in the API, but only two functions have actually required bugging the devs (one of which they appear to be working on, the other requires significant under the hood changes, actually both do). The API though has improved significantly only in the last few builds and increasingly allows one to do more with less. The rest I've scripted or someone in the community has provided gratis.

I'll admit I almost wrote Reaper off due to price, but I am strongly considering donating a "full DAW price" to the devs, as their commercial license is still cheaper than the software is truly worth.

Vordio is worth a mention here. Another piece of the puzzle that deserves to be priced much higher than it currently is. Such a useful piece of software and the dev is responsive, gracious and always pushing forward.
Old 25th January 2017
I used to record our gigs a few years back and i would press record and let reaper run for 4 hours straight on a laptop not optimized for audio - never even a hiccup !
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Addict

i use both Reaper and Studio One.

i have Fruity Loops from YEARS ago, but never use it.

Studio One is my go-to DAW, but when the release an update and it acts weird, i ALWAYS fire up Reaper to trouble shoot

my plugins and VIs.

Reaper is a TANK and very resourceful.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I used to record our gigs a few years back and i would press record and let reaper run for 4 hours straight on a laptop not optimized for audio - never even a hiccup !
Yeah, it's a freak of reliability.

Only thing that ever tanks it is Slate plugins, when the iLok service "isn't running" (hint: it is, and always is) and it can't authenticate to the mothership, despite the licenses residing on the USB key. But that's a knock on iLok and not Slate or Reaper.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

i tried to work with studio one but no luck
maybe my computer is too old ?
Reaper makes the job perfect and the funny thing is that every other daw i tried
can make the job but not studio one.
very weird thing
studio one never crashes but when i record guitar plugins it makes that scratch sound that destroys my record.
i tried disable the multi processing and some other audio optimization but no luck.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicZone View Post
i tried to work with studio one but no luck
maybe my computer is too old ?
Reaper makes the job perfect and the funny thing is that every other daw i tried
can make the job but not studio one.
very weird thing
studio one never crashes but when i record guitar plugins it makes that scratch sound that destroys my record.
i tried disable the multi processing and some other audio optimization but no luck.
Reaper runs more efficiently than basically every other Daw, that is why it's called " Reaper" and it's the perfect Daw for those with older or weaker systems.

You may simply not meet the minimum requirements for Studio One - check on their website.
Old 25th January 2017
Here for the gear

For those looking to take the leap from Pro Tools, take a look at this free theme on the Reaper website:

REAPER | Resources
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

from their site :
intel Core 2 Duo or AMD® Athlon™ X2 processor
(Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon X4 or better recommended)

mine is intel e7300 dual core @2.6
memory 8 giga ddr2 @ 800

so my specs are low for studio one ?
Old 25th January 2017
A big part of why I like REAPER is because of how expandable it is.

I really quite like Studio One, but to give just one of many examples, the MIDI is fairly limited if you've come over from Logic. Quick example - I drew in some drums and wanted to quickly randomise the velocities a bit to make it sound a bit more human. Studio One has a humanise button which works but also moves the timings around which I didn't want, and sure, I *could* quantise it again but I shouldn't have to.

Now, REAPER doesn't have any feature like that built in. But it doesn't matter. I went over to the REAPER forums, found a script to do what I wanted, and then I could add it to the toolbar and even bind a key to that action.

REAPER wins, not because of what the software offers in and of itself, but because of how ridiculously flexible it is. Any feature you could possibly want, someone has probably already written a script for.
Old 25th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicZone View Post
from their site :
intel Core 2 Duo or AMD® Athlon™ X2 processor
(Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon X4 or better recommended)

mine is intel e7300 dual core @2.6
memory 8 giga ddr2 @ 800

so my specs are low for studio one ?
You appear dangerously close to the minimum requirements - you normally want to be well above them for smooth sailing.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTheSuperior View Post
REAPER wins, not because of what the software offers in and of itself, but because of how ridiculously flexible it is. Any feature you could possibly want, someone has probably already written a script for.
I want to point out that this is actually a huge downside for a lot of people.
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like it too. Only gripe I have is I wish that control surfaces were learnable while retaining parameter feedback. You basically have three options with a control surface that supports parameter feedback (LED halos, motorized faders, etc):

* Mackie Control emulation (MCE for 8 faders, MCU for 9), which only gives you the exact functionality provided by the combination of the device's emulation and Reaper's MC support. You want to tweak the automation section, so that "Record" becomes "Punch in/out", or so that "Play" is "Play/Pause"? You can only do it if the device supports overriding the MCU/MCE mapping to send an ordinary MIDI CC instead (and, you have to use a CC, because the default MMC functions can't be customized or re-mapped in Reaper).

* MIDI CC output. This gives you practically complete customizability of the surface, allowing any control to send any CC and for that CC to be used by Reaper to perform any action. The big downside is no parameter polling or feedback; if the setting is changed by automation, or another device, or from the UI, automation devices fall out of sync. It also makes advanced features like control layers worthless, because Reaper can't be asked to send the CC settings of the next or previous 8 channels.

* Klinke's MCU plugin. This allows some customization and an enhanced feature set for MCU-emulating devices, but can be difficult to get working and isn't directly supported by Cockos (though community support is pretty good).

For non-motorized but still "feedback-receptive" devices like the BCR2000, which don't support MC emulation natively, your only real option with an out-of-the-box Reaper installation is MIDI, forcing you either to set everything up as "relative" with the LEDs off and rely on the Reaper UI to know where you are and what you're doing, or else avoid using the UI or multiple devices to control a mapped action. Neither is a complete deal-breaker, but they're also not the ideal fully-integrated remote control experience a surface like this is supposed to be.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I want to point out that this is actually a huge downside for a lot of people.
hi robert, i agree with this .. this is the 3rd or 4th time i have updated and opened Reaper .. there are a LOT of right clicks to get to menus .. now, that said, i could go through and make all the Key Commands the way i have learned them .. things that are backwards to me by default on a mac .. ie: Copy a Clip is Command not Option .. you can change it and there is probably someone that has already done it and made Pro Tools and Cubase etc key commands .. just need to find them or do it myself ..

it is Lean and Mean though .. i figured it cannot hurt me to learn a bit more about it .. not giving up, just not using it yet, just learning .. i thought Logic had a learning curve, this is a pretty good one .. not beyond me, maybe just my patience .. and coming from pro tools, where you learn it and going to a very Open DAW is a little harder as i get older ..

i do not use most of the functions of DAW's .. only when someone i know needs help with something .. then i learn that part .. Beat Detective for some reason has always been my Peeve .. it is like all the demos i watch are never as bad as the tracks i get to repair or conform .. !!!
Old 25th January 2017
Lives for gear
PT is better for control surface support. Really, that's about all. Reaper is better for MIDI, customization and scripting, light years better for CPU usage, far more reliable, smaller footprint, sub-projects, object based FX, skins (the default GUI is not great but there are some gorgeous skins/themes), routing, VST support including 32-bit VSTs, reliability, reliability, and reliability.

Off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
Is there any reason to continue with Pro Tools other than legacy projects? What does Reaper do better than PT and vice versa? I downloaded the Reaper demo, which is telling me I've had it for 1100+ days but is generously still allowing me to continue using it. (I must have installed it a few years ago but never took the time to investigate.) I'm looking for a good reason to walk away from the AVID pricing plan. So far I'm not really a fan of the look of reaper. Other than that it's been smooth.
Old 26th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
...could go through and make all the Key Commands the way i have learned them .. things that are backwards to me by default on a mac .. ie: Copy a Clip is Command not Option .. you can change it and there is probably someone that has already done it and made Pro Tools and Cubase etc key commands .. just need to find them or do it myself ..
Hopefully this is true now, wasn't last time I looked 5+ years ago

Lack of controller support is a big though, not sure I could really deal with that...

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search