The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.
Old 3rd February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
coder is one of the very best coders on this EARTH!
this
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Been with REAPER for many years -- we only use it for a 2 track mixdown >> but , yes fine DAW
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I just downloaded Reaper and have spent the last three days learning it inside and out, setting up my mix/track template. It is bloody incredible. I wish I'd moved over to the Reap years ago, and here's why:

- Love the GUI
- incredibly snappy response
- crash-proof (it would appear)
- customization is superb
- very logically setup
- beautiful summing (yes, I think it sounds better than Logic; sounds about the same as Pro Tools and Metric Halo's MIO Console's summing, both of which sound better than Logic based on some pretty elaborate tests I've conducted. Let's not get into it though. )
- price (just bought it)
- the ability to tweak the metering ballistics quite deeply
- easy on the eyes default theme (love the new track resizing layout options)
- master fader can be anchored to left or right of mixer; brilliant
- the community of savvy users
- Performance Meter with per-track info
- incredible routing; the Routing Matrix is god-sent
-Kenny Gioia's wonderfully helpful Reaper youtube channel
- And among the biggest reasons I'm loving it: it is far and away the best DAW I've ever used with MCU controllers. I'm running an X-Touch One plus three X-touch 8-channel extenders for a 25 fader setup and I've never experienced this kind of response/stability.

An absolutely amazing DAW!

Last edited by petergreeny; 15th February 2020 at 04:50 AM..
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
And among the biggest reasons I'm loving it: it is far and away the best DAW I've ever used with MCU controllers. I'm running an X-Touch One plus three X-touch 8-channel extenders for a 25 fader setup and I've never experienced this kind of response/stability.

An absolutely amazing DAW!
I quite agree with your summary of Reaper's advantages !

Are you using the X Touch One as the master fader and the 3 x Extenders as the main channels ? While not a cheap combo, it probably gives the closest you'll get to a dedicated 1 channel per fader control surface (without resorting to banking) ?

How does such a setup cope with track groups, bussing and folders...does it behave predictably and without trouble ? In other words, are you able to expand and collapse track folders and have the faders respond to these various view-type changes...or do you run your combo on a strictly 1:1 fader/channel correlation ?
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
I quite agree with your summary of Reaper's advantages !

Are you using the X Touch One as the master fader and the 3 x Extenders as the main channels ? While not a cheap combo, it probably gives the closest you'll get to a dedicated 1 channel per fader control surface (without resorting to banking) ?

How does such a setup cope with track groups, bussing and folders...does it behave predictably and without trouble ? In other words, are you able to expand and collapse track folders and have the faders respond to these various view-type changes...or do you run your combo on a strictly 1:1 fader/channel correlation ?
Yes, the X-Touch One unit's Reaper lexan overlay labels the Master button 'Master Level,' which I leave engaged so the single fader is always controlling the Master Bus Fader (and of course for my transport controls).

I don't intend to ever use Track Folders as I'm tied to a more traditional analog console type workflow, but I suspect it would work just fine. Because busses in Reaper are simply more tracks with faders (as are VCAs, and every other type of track), each bus becomes a track on the MCU as normal.

So I suppose I do the 1:1 fader/channel thing, but I run 48 channels with all my effects busses, etc. I also designate 3 tracks at the right edge of the mix for reference mixes that leave Reaper through a separate bus so I can monitor them each with a touch of the solo button without them going through my 2-bus chain on the master channel. These stay muted until I hit their solo button on the X-Touch extenders.

The only thing I'd like to improve is right now, the bank switch on the X-Touch One banks 8-channels at a time. However, having 24 channels, I'd like a single press of the bank button to move everything to tracks 25-48, rather than only 8 channels at a time. I'm sure there is some way to do this...

The Behringer X-Touch products have really impressed me; great build quality, big, smooth and generously spaced faders, meters work perfectly and buttons/pans seem durable. And, I prefer the X-Touch One as a master transport to the more elaborate X-Touch Universal, as it has too many buttons for my taste. The 'One' has all your automation mode toggles, and if I want to set track automation, I just turn off the aforementioned 'Master Level' button, and now can bank/channel switch the X-Touch One to a given selected track to automate. So I can set say a lead vocal for 'Touch' mode using the One, and ride the fader on the bigger unit or the One. Really versatile, and I was kind of surprised the X-Touch One worked so well with the Extenders. All other software I've used (Logic, Pro Tools, Harrison) kept viewing the X-Touch One as a 9-fader unit like the Universal and seemed to confuse the MCU software. Reaper works perfectly with minimal fuss.

Amazon.ca here in Canada sells the Extenders for about $400 each, so for $1200 CAD plus the cost of an X-Touch One, I've got a system that works as well as any I've used. Compare that to $6.5k for a 16-fader Avid S3, or the same $1200 for only 16-channels on the Presonus Faderport 16, and one begins to wonder why everyone needing motorized faders isn't doing similarly... on controllers at any rate, Behringer has stepped up its game of late.

I'm on a Mac, by the way (OSX Mojave).

Last edited by petergreeny; 15th February 2020 at 04:15 PM..
Old 17th February 2020
Lives for gear

Cool. I was looking at some X-Touch extenders to work plugins. I'm currently researching the use of the Control Surface Integrator extension, which should make that way, way easier.

The Avid S1/3/6 faders are a lot quieter than most others. It depends what works for you. I'm fairly happy with my Faderport 16, though I have yet to encounter a unit to match the pure speed and precision of the old Procontrol optical faders. Those were damn expensive though($400+ per replacement unit).

My hope with using X-touch extenders and CSI is that it might be able to power the colour features of the scribble strips. Who knows. Maybe I'll stick with my Midi Fighter Twisters for most of my plugin control. They're precise as hell.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Tried to you use it on some projects where I didn´t have my Cubase Dongle with me,

to be honest in many ways it´s really good and fast, but I´m so used to a proper Track Inspector which is speeding up the workflow
and the other big downside for me is in Cubase you hit one button and it takes all the plug in´s with high latency out of the mix, fantastic if you have 50 Tracks running and plug ins on Busses and Masterbus and if you want to record an VI.

Couldn´t find anything like that in Reaper (yes I checked the preserve PDC function) but it didn´t work like in Cubase, which is for me a real dealbreaker..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarin View Post
Tried to you use it on some projects where I didn´t have my Cubase Dongle with me,

to be honest in many ways it´s really good and fast, but I´m so used to a proper Track Inspector which is speeding up the workflow
and the other big downside for me is in Cubase you hit one button and it takes all the plug in´s with high latency out of the mix, fantastic if you have 50 Tracks running and plug ins on Busses and Masterbus and if you want to record an VI.

Couldn´t find anything like that in Reaper (yes I checked the preserve PDC function) but it didn´t work like in Cubase, which is for me a real dealbreaker..
I'm as big of a Reaper fainboi as it gets, but you are right that dealing with VI/plugin latency in large projects is not a strength. I have the preserve PDC checked by default, which helps with real-time VI playing issues, but no, AFAIK there is no function similar to what you say can be done in Cubase, a function I have never even heard of before since I have no experience with anything that requires a dongle. (I'm allergic to them.)

There are of course manual ways to account for plugin latency, and printing/freezing etc. But they won't be as fast or as elegant as what you appear to describe. Feature request at the Reaper forums?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I think PDC might only do something when you are printing through a track which has had it set to on. the more you place a variety of tracks within tracks, inside folder tracks, it starts getting harder to track any possible variety of behaviors produced by any PDC setting on any of those folder tracks, and testing through enough conditions to see what actual behaviors might be produced.

e.g. does a PDC in a Midi track, which is a child of an instrument track, calculate on the latency of the plugins of the parent track, and so on. and then the print of that Midi, gets compensated by the same amount. some of my test seemed to indicate that,
that can be the PDC assumptions of a child track. so the midi is printed in relation to that compensation. though if you play a VSTi instrument and it has some latency, but you're still happy with playing it, then in a sense, you are already ok with the latency. so theoretically, if you were about to record / print, you'd not want any PDC to move it afterwards. so you normally want it to be off.

but in any case, if you search the Action list for the term,
latency
you can target a set of latency baselines across the project,
and then Toggle those FX which exceed that threshold, on or off.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I think PDC might only do something when you are printing through a track which has had it set to on. the more you place a variety of tracks within tracks, inside folder tracks, it starts getting harder to track any possible variety of behaviors produced by any PDC setting on any of those folder tracks, and testing through enough conditions to see what actual behaviors might be produced.

e.g. does a PDC in a Midi track, which is a child of an instrument track, calculate on the latency of the plugins of the parent track, and so on. and then the print of that Midi, gets compensated by the same amount. some of my test seemed to indicate that,
that can be the PDC assumptions of a child track. so the midi is printed in relation to that compensation. though if you play a VSTi instrument and it has some latency, but you're still happy with playing it, then in a sense, you are already ok with the latency. so theoretically, if you were about to record / print, you'd not want any PDC to move it afterwards. so you normally want it to be off.

but in any case, if you search the Action list for the term,
latency
you can target a set of latency baselines across the project,
and then Toggle those FX which exceed that threshold, on or off.
Aha ok, sounds kinda complicated though..
And since the VI itself produces latency itsself I´m not sure how that will work with the threshhold...

In Cubase literally you hit one button and say if you are in 128 buffer and have latency intense plug ins on busses, FX and maybe UAD´s on masterbus,
Cubase simply looks at who is causing latency and disables the plug ins so that you can play at 128 buffer with minimal latency..

I thought Reaper with its billions of functions would have something like this..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

SWS extensions should be installed alongside reaper's actions.

It's easy to do and they sometimes provide a more elegant solution when assigning hotkeys to simple tasks.

Mouse modifiers are also a huge time saver. They combine mouse actions with keyboard hotkeys. I only use a few, but I use them all the time.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
And since the VI itself produces latency itsself I´m not sure how that will work with the threshhold...

In Cubase literally you hit one button and say if you are in 128 buffer and have latency intense plug ins on busses, FX and maybe UAD´s on masterbus,
Cubase simply looks at who is causing latency and disables the plug ins so that you can play at 128 buffer with minimal latency..

I thought Reaper with its billions of functions would have something like this..
Maybe they'll add it at some point. hopefully it won't increase the price to $878.00, which is what Cubase costs right now. Reaper is $60.00...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I usually assume that when I'm playing the DAW project, what I am hearing is what I am going to want to get.

so if you render, freeze or bounce a track, you'd want what you hear to come back as you are hearing it already.
with nothing place anywhere else than where you're hearing it.

so if you switch something like latency compensation in a track which you're playing, and it has say a 64 sample latency, and then your buffer is also set to 64, then you would feel the accumulated latency of maybe something like 64 for the plugin a 64 in and out for the buffer. so say 192 samples for arguments sake, you would feel as a player. then ignore and then start playing.

so as you play the sound, you are already hearing that latency. so if we assume you still played it right, then you won't want it to move as you print it to say Midi as you record. PDC would move it, to compensate for at least the latency of the plugin. which say is 64.

so lets say you record your part with PDC ON. your part is them moved by 1.5 milliseconds thereabouts as it prints through the PDC.

but the problem is, that's not going to get you what you were hearing as you played it.
PDC OFF should be what you are hearing, because it's not moving anything after the fact, after you printed through.

Quote:
that will probably be because Cubase has already made a Button you can press, which executes the argument for turning the plugins with a latency higher than X to an OFF state. which is what those Actions in Reaper seem like they may do. you just have to make your own Toolbar button and assign it yourself. but it looks like the actual command is there.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
SWS extensions should be installed alongside reaper's actions.

It's easy to do and they sometimes provide a more elegant solution when assigning hotkeys to simple tasks.

I think this is one of Reaper's shortcomings. SWS provides a huge amount of functionality to Reaper but it's not a Cockos product, it's a donationware extension from one person (IIRC) for whom the project isn't their full time concern, with generous contributions by user coding stalwarts. Most pro users couldn't use Reaper at all without it. Many of the more useful scripts and actions rely own it, and doing without some of those functions would be a dealkiller for me.

It is open source, which is a good thing should their life take a turn and they step away from it. It's easy to think it would be continued by someone else, but there's no guarantee that person would be as competent. Reaper's open environment is a great thing, and it's what makes it stand out in the DAW world, but having such an big piece of what's great about it be something not under Cockos' control is a bit of a downside. I used to wonder why Cockos didn't just make an arrangement for SWS to be part of the Reaper install and have updates be available same as Reaper's are. Then again, it's obvious Justin and Schwa have a very different mindset than I do about many DAW things and they're doing pretty well! It's just an extension of their philosophy, part of which I am at odds with.

We're all invested in the well being of our DAW developer. Being equally invested in the well being of a third party for some under-the-hood stuff is not ideal.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
I think this is one of Reaper's shortcomings. SWS provides a huge amount of functionality to Reaper but it's not a Cockos product,
Not sure I would say huge in that respect.

The included actions list is quite extensive and more than adequate imo.

Just great to have both.

Your needs could be different.

I probably only use a dozen shortcuts, and a couple are just for colors on items.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
I think this is one of Reaper's shortcomings. SWS provides a huge amount of functionality to Reaper but it's not a Cockos product, it's a donationware extension from one person (IIRC) for whom the project isn't their full time concern, with generous contributions by user coding stalwarts. Most pro users couldn't use Reaper at all without it. Many of the more useful scripts and actions rely own it, and doing without some of those functions would be a dealkiller for me.

It is open source, which is a good thing should their life take a turn and they step away from it. It's easy to think it would be continued by someone else, but there's no guarantee that person would be as competent. Reaper's open environment is a great thing, and it's what makes it stand out in the DAW world, but having such an big piece of what's great about it be something not under Cockos' control is a bit of a downside. I used to wonder why Cockos didn't just make an arrangement for SWS to be part of the Reaper install and have updates be available same as Reaper's are. Then again, it's obvious Justin and Schwa have a very different mindset than I do about many DAW things and they're doing pretty well! It's just an extension of their philosophy, part of which I am at odds with.

We're all invested in the well being of our DAW developer. Being equally invested in the well being of a third party for some under-the-hood stuff is not ideal.
I was asking someone recently, if they know that when assigning a script to a toolbar, and the script gets removed from the repository, if then the button would stop working. hence I’m currently on V5 and not opting to delete scripts which are allerting as having been removed from the Repository. but I also have the feeling that some scripts might sometimes be removed and also become integrated into the core functionality of the DAW. which still leaves the question about the toolbar button script assignment hanging, either way.

My impression is that the developer isn’t concerned about it becoming a highly popular competing DAW at some similar higher price point. which you oft hear people arguing it could be, or it should be. because one thing that will happen then, is that there would be a massive increase in certain types of communication which would need to be organized for. along with increasing demands for X Y & Z feature and so on. I'd tend to think he's probably right and that would happen.

Last edited by Muser; 1 day ago at 02:02 PM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Hey guys,
I finally found a solution, it’s in this video:
https://youtu.be/Kg3D08UPoDk
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

He's made a toolbar button run this Reascript.

Script: mpl_Toggle bypass all project FX with latency (PDC) higher than 64 samples.lua

it might be part of ReaPack Repository, or maybe it's stock. I see it in my system.
I should assign it myself by rights. it could be a useful asset to use. especially as a track is progressing further along.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear
One thing I loved about Reaper when I tried it was the CPU was never an issue with the same plugins that I sometimes have an issue with in Logic. Though, in Logic I'm more familiar with things, and I like the midi editor more. In Reaper when editing midi drums, I couldn't find how to make the midi snap to the grid line when you move it. In Logic by default when I move the midi around in editor it automatically snaps to the grid lines so that it's in proper timing. In Reaper it moved freely so that even when it was right on the grid line it wouldn't snap to it. I'm guessing there's a way to select this feature in Reaper, but I couldn't figure it out.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaviT View Post
I'm guessing there's a way to select this feature in Reaper, but I couldn't figure it out.
Probably the single most common sentence uttered by people who are new to working with Reaper.

The first place to look is the manual, of course (or do a Google search), and also see if it's been covered in any of Kenny Gioia's videos.

I've just spent a few months tweaking Reaper so it can come close to duplicating the super-efficient audio editing workflow of Ardour/Harrison Mixbus. All the functionality is there, it just takes time and effort to find it and understand how it works. And then you can customize it to your heart's content.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaviT View Post
One thing I loved about Reaper when I tried it was the CPU was never an issue with the same plugins that I sometimes have an issue with in Logic. Though, in Logic I'm more familiar with things, and I like the midi editor more. In Reaper when editing midi drums, I couldn't find how to make the midi snap to the grid line when you move it. In Logic by default when I move the midi around in editor it automatically snaps to the grid lines so that it's in proper timing. In Reaper it moved freely so that even when it was right on the grid line it wouldn't snap to it. I'm guessing there's a way to select this feature in Reaper, but I couldn't figure it out.
In Reaper midi editor it snaps to whatever division at bottom is set to.

So if your working in 1/16's or 32'nds it will snap to the nearest one.

I keep snap value set to 1/4 notes most of the time.

It quantizes to this value as well.

Of course, make sure the snap Magnet icon is on and highlighted.
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but ya never know.

Also in track view magnet should be set to snap if desired.
Old 4 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
In Reaper midi editor it snaps to whatever division at bottom is set to.

So if your working in 1/16's or 32'nds it will snap to the nearest one.

I keep snap value set to 1/4 notes most of the time.

It quantizes to this value as well.

Of course, make sure the snap Magnet icon is on and highlighted.
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but ya never know.

Also in track view magnet should be set to snap if desired.
I appreciate that info. I used up the demo already, but maybe I can demo again. If not, I'll consider buying because it's not expensive anyway. I can't believe how stable the CPU is with it. Using Reaper is like getting a super computer when it comes to handling software plugins.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search