The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.
Old 28th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I am a pretty long time Reaper owner. Never used it for mixing etc., it's always been mostly a testing environment because of its speed etc. For music work, i was using Cubase, Nuendo & Reason for "decades" Still, i was regularly following Reaper forums, updating it etc.

In the past few months, Reaper started to seriously impress me with its Rewire efficiency (especially comparing to Cubendo), despite the fact that Rewire is limited to a single CPU cure. I am a big fan of Reason, so this is very important to me. On the other hand, i’ve slowly started to getting nervous because of Cubendo growing »bloatware« syndrom, its worse and worse performance, lack of many important functions etc.. Then i said to myself – what a heck, let’s try to mix one song in Reaper for a test – using the current knowledge of the program.

Mix went smoothy, sounded nice, stock plugins are excellent IMO, awesome, snappy performance, no crashes … Of course, there were some blackouts because of my lack of mixing experience with Reaper, but nothing critical. And then happy, helpful community, constant updates, bugfixes ...

So, i’ve decided to look at the videos on the Reaper webpage. Wow, what a blast. I’ve started really to understand, what Reaper is all about. I was already fond of Justin Frankel’s work, but this … Still looking at the videos every day, smiling all the time, already finished made few mixes and arrangements, getting better and better, discovering awesome stuff every day.

To me comparing Reaper and Cubendo is like comparing Fischer-tehnic and Fischer-Price =8)

Not sure if this is a goodbye to Steinberg, but at the moment i don’t have any wish or reason to open Steinberg programs again.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

The deal-breaker with Reaper for me is the inability to create my own plug-in menu and keep it sorted. It seems like a really simple thing to implement, and why it hasn't been when everything else in Reaper is quite customizable I don't understand. But until a customizable, sorted plug-in menu is implemented... it's unusable for me.
Old 28th January 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Nothing forces you to update on a particular schedule. Wait until there is a feature you want, if you prefer. But it is so ridiculously painless that I can't think of a reason not to. Usually there are a couple of worthwhile features that I will use. And I'm not exaggerating one bit, I've timed it. Less than 15 seconds from the time I click download until I'm up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Wow. 10-15 seconds for an update. Cubase certainly isn't in that universe.

The constant updating is a double-edged sword, for me. I stopped at Cubase 6.5, even though I own newer versions. With the hardware, macros and tweaking I've done, the newer iterations don't offer me much in the way of anything I don't already have. It's also very stable, which, I'm sure any of us place a high value on.

I've been working with PCs and DAWs since the 80s. I think back to before those times, when the studio was all hardware. It was what it was. The channels were where they were, you had the tracks you had, and so on. That's central to what I'm trying to, now. I want a turn-key that that starts the same way every morning, just like my car In other words, I want to get off the upgrade treadmill and get some work done before I croak. I've been watching and tinkering with Reaper for a few years and really like what I see, particularly with this latest release. Reaper's flexibility/versatility is so compelling that I have to seriously consider to it. If they can bring a couple of critical (to me) features into the mix, it will be a simple decision.

You make a good point, regarding the user group. Lots of positive and helpful stuff.
I can see that, after doing a bit more research. Steinberg's updates and new releases can be painful, with features or capabilities either disappearing or ending up "broken". As for speed, I am definitely with those of you who comment on how ridiculously quick and lean Reaper is.

Delving deeper into it, I can see that the custom track views may provide a fairly acceptable workaround, until they get around to providing multiple mixers. Not ideal, but all the other benefits help to offset that.
Old 28th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
The deal-breaker with Reaper for me is the inability to create my own plug-in menu and keep it sorted. It seems like a really simple thing to implement, and why it hasn't been when everything else in Reaper is quite customizable I don't understand. But until a customizable, sorted plug-in menu is implemented... it's unusable for me.
You can most definitely sort your plugins in folders in the plugin window - i have a folder for EQ, Compressors, Reverbs, UAD, Utility etc - it sorts out the clutter.
Old 28th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
You can most definitely sort your plugins in folders in the plugin window - i have a folder for EQ, Compressors, Reverbs, UAD, Utility etc - it sorts out the clutter.
Really? May have to look into it again then. Last time I worked with it... the plugin window would let you add folders... but to sort them... you had to manually move each one up and down through the list to get them where you wanted them... every time a plugin was added.

So if that has indeed changed, I'll definitely have to give Reaper another go. Though the latest Sonar has really stepped up its game, and runs multi-threaded REALLY smoothly and efficiently now, and is like second nature to use for me now.
Old 29th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
True, you can make your own folders in the FX Browser, but unless I'm missing something, the customization is limited to one column of single folders under "My Folders". I can live with it, but it's less than ideal.
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Can't believe I never tried the SWS S&M extension

Open close Region Playlist editor.

There is no hotkey by default. (made mine F10)

Finally able to easily klondike those writing projects for nuggets, and present several arrangements for consideration.

I have worked with regions but this tool is a great addition to the toolkit for writers and arrangers.
Old 15th May 2019
Dor
Lives for gear

Does Reaper support Eucon?

D
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
Yeah, after ProTools? Almost ANY decent DAW is like breath of fresh air.

ProTools seriously sucks, I mean sucks so badly that it only exists based on past victories and stuck-in-the-mud users who refuse to let go (also those who are like badge snobs who don't even use the term "DAW" they just namedrop "ProTools" at every chance as if the mere mention if it makes them "pro")

Ok, in fairness some are stuck on it as they can't learn new DAWS (thick), others because they have worked deep in the industry and like the format that is a 'standard'. It surely isn't because it's a great DAW though. Outdated, outclassed, clunky, ugly and a nightmare to use with anything like a semblance of musical 'flow'.

So anyway, I felt much the same moving FROM Cubase, part time pro tools (forced on me for various reasons back when I worked somewhere) and dabbling with Reaper....

... but I moved to Studio One. Wow, now THAT is a DAW. It makes protools seem like bars and pipes on the amiga (my first computer sequencer - yeah I'm semi-old), it made cubase feel like the convoluted overblown dinosaur it's become and it made reaper feel rather quaint (and pretty clunky too) I'm afraid.

I could write an entire essay about why Studio One is light years ahead of everything else but just watch these videos from pro users who switched (most from ProTools)

http://www.presonus.com/products/Stu...tl-L8zY7KyvpyQ

All pretty much agree, as do S1 fans around here, nothing touches Studio One. You owe it to yourselves to demo it, hard, 30 days and do a proper project in it and then go back to any other DAW and feel depressed.

I know reaper fans won't want to hear it but I found reaper pretty bad for anything but tweaking in 'hardcore' mode like some DAW NERD. For actual mixing, workflow, plug-in handling and all that, it's not really much better than older stuff. Loads of right click menus and far too much fuss going on.

Studio One is the true 'breath of fresh air' the entire DAW industry needed. I defy anyone to work as fast, musically or with the DAW getting out of the way and the mix/production being totally in focus as much as they can with Studio One. It has protools/cubase keymappings to aid crossing over too.

DAWS can become like a religion so people dismiss them out of hand but I guarantee anyone who really pits reaper against studio one and isn't looking for reasons to hate S1 (ie comparing plug-in CPU usage which is better in Reaper) will discover that Studio One is the best bits from all DAWs (other than super deep midi) streamlined and lots of fun to work with.

When I see people on protools vids still right click searching lists of plug-ins I and wince every time. Drag and drop baby! keep the browser pane open and drag and drop, everything to everything, in 1 click in studio one it's 4-5 clicks and lots of futzing around in protools, cubase AND reaper. I just don't get why people would continue to do that to themselves when Studio One finally nailed workflow like no other DAW.

Of course it's more expensive but quality costs.

Reaper now comes off to me like a pet-project DAW not a serious production/mixing environment where time, workflow and quality counts. That said, I'd prob still use it over ProTools these days if cubase and studio one didn't exist.

Sonar is pretty bad too (as is mixbus)
Sorry but Sonar platinum is still the bomb. No daw does midi like Sonar, I can drag and drop effects too, or put them in anyway I wish. Its great on cpu usage, starts fast, you can customize it anyway you can dream up. The tools menu is awesome, just used the clean audio tool last night, gets rid of any audio that isn't assigned to a project track, kike discarded takes you didn't use undo recording for.

Now Bandlab offers a free version, and even has many of the built in effects and console emus. It has instruments a plenty, true puanos, DEMENSION PRO instrument with many free addon instruments, drum instruments, synths....

Vst 3 64 bit support, ato hide of 32 bit plugs that have a 64 bit version if you want to.

Platinum 7 is the best, ill meet you anywhere and we'll fight it out, knives, bloodbath, all that good stuff, lol
Old 15th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Does Reaper support Eucon?

D
For EuCon, you can try Reaper extension by Geoff Waddington.
I've personally never tried it (have different CS), but some people reported, it's working for them.

download:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/18477/EuCon%20Beta.zip

manual for its mapping editor (Windows only AFAIK):
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/17210/EuCo...p%20Editor.pdf

thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=122509

Michal
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Maniac

So, not sure if this happened because of the recent update or what, but anybody experience this with their grid layouts in Reaper? Why are downbeats transparent, yet the off beats are the solid lines? Why does the one piano roll line on the right show the black and white piano roll correspondence?

Why are my grid lines suddenly blue? I have not changed the color. In fact, in the theme preferences the grid lines are set to grey. Why does that blue MIDI item have half a black grid line through it?

If anybody knows how to fix this I would appreciate help. I didn't change anything in my settings, and now I seem to be stuck with this.

Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
You're certainly entitled to your very strong opinions about Reaper vs S1, but I don't share them. I compared Reaper to S1 head to head, and chose Reaper. Yes, S1 is fast and easy, and if you like to work a certain way it's terrific. But I ran into too many things I wanted to do that required workarounds, and for me it was clear that Reaper was the overall better tool. But we can both agree that PT is junk for most users these days, living on because it is a 'standard', not innovation. Still, I do understand there are users in situations where PT is the best tool. I'm just really grateful I'm not in any of those situations. I spent five years with PT, long enough to hate it passionately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
Yeah, after ProTools? Almost ANY decent DAW is like breath of fresh air.

ProTools seriously sucks, I mean sucks so badly that it only exists based on past victories and stuck-in-the-mud users who refuse to let go (also those who are like badge snobs who don't even use the term "DAW" they just namedrop "ProTools" at every chance as if the mere mention if it makes them "pro")

Ok, in fairness some are stuck on it as they can't learn new DAWS (thick), others because they have worked deep in the industry and like the format that is a 'standard'. It surely isn't because it's a great DAW though. Outdated, outclassed, clunky, ugly and a nightmare to use with anything like a semblance of musical 'flow'.

So anyway, I felt much the same moving FROM Cubase, part time pro tools (forced on me for various reasons back when I worked somewhere) and dabbling with Reaper....

... but I moved to Studio One. Wow, now THAT is a DAW. It makes protools seem like bars and pipes on the amiga (my first computer sequencer - yeah I'm semi-old), it made cubase feel like the convoluted overblown dinosaur it's become and it made reaper feel rather quaint (and pretty clunky too) I'm afraid.

I could write an entire essay about why Studio One is light years ahead of everything else but just watch these videos from pro users who switched (most from ProTools)

http://www.presonus.com/products/Stu...tl-L8zY7KyvpyQ

All pretty much agree, as do S1 fans around here, nothing touches Studio One. You owe it to yourselves to demo it, hard, 30 days and do a proper project in it and then go back to any other DAW and feel depressed.

I know reaper fans won't want to hear it but I found reaper pretty bad for anything but tweaking in 'hardcore' mode like some DAW NERD. For actual mixing, workflow, plug-in handling and all that, it's not really much better than older stuff. Loads of right click menus and far too much fuss going on.

Studio One is the true 'breath of fresh air' the entire DAW industry needed. I defy anyone to work as fast, musically or with the DAW getting out of the way and the mix/production being totally in focus as much as they can with Studio One. It has protools/cubase keymappings to aid crossing over too.

DAWS can become like a religion so people dismiss them out of hand but I guarantee anyone who really pits reaper against studio one and isn't looking for reasons to hate S1 (ie comparing plug-in CPU usage which is better in Reaper) will discover that Studio One is the best bits from all DAWs (other than super deep midi) streamlined and lots of fun to work with.

When I see people on protools vids still right click searching lists of plug-ins I and wince every time. Drag and drop baby! keep the browser pane open and drag and drop, everything to everything, in 1 click in studio one it's 4-5 clicks and lots of futzing around in protools, cubase AND reaper. I just don't get why people would continue to do that to themselves when Studio One finally nailed workflow like no other DAW.

Of course it's more expensive but quality costs.

Reaper now comes off to me like a pet-project DAW not a serious production/mixing environment where time, workflow and quality counts. That said, I'd prob still use it over ProTools these days if cubase and studio one didn't exist.

Sonar is pretty bad too (as is mixbus)
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Why are my grid lines suddenly blue? I have not changed the color. In fact, in the theme preferences the grid lines are set to grey. Why does that blue MIDI item have half a black grid line through it?

If anybody knows how to fix this I would appreciate help. I didn't change anything in my settings, and now I seem to be stuck with this.
they have probably altered the default theme. it may be a case of some simple choices in view preferences, or it may be a combination of that and some changes to the theme. you can type (theme) into the actions list and go to edit the theme from there. the differences in how the items are struck through by the grid lines, is probably because a filter setting is applied to the grid lines which is set to something like, dodge and burn. so different colored items dodge colors in different ways. they are akin to photoshop filter settings. I think Reaper preferences also has settings for if the grid lines go behind, or through, or over the items. there's possibly also a way to set the item info bar to be solid.
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Head

I was a Cakewalk/Sonar user for a lot of years, started with v3 and finished with Sonar Platinum. Then got the free version from Bandlab. A couple of months ago I got rid of my very old modules and started working strictly with vsts... Sample Tank 4 and Addictive Drums 2. For some reason Cakewalk would decide to change a track's sound while I was working on a song. I would have to shut down Cakewalk and then restart the project to get the track (or tracks) back to what it was. It also liked to crash here and there - especially with ST4. Yes... I did the ST4 update and this was still happening.

I downloaded and installed Reaper about a year or more ago but may have opened it 2 or 3 times, never taking the time to actually see what it was all about. After all, Sonar was working well with my old modules.

I finally decided to give Reaper a chance and stuck with it until I had some understanding as to what I had to do in order to record a few midi and audio tracks. To my surprise, doing these things turned out to be very easy, and without the problems Cakewalk was giving me.

I've never had a crash so far. I love the way I can change the themes. Community help is fantastic. For me, buying the very cheap license was a no brainer ($86CAD). I guess you can now call me a Reaper Fan Boy because I haven't looked back.

/OM
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Yep. It’s surprisingly (well, it surprised me) easy and *fast* to actually use. At first, I thought that might be fans and marketing, you know, the usual. But no. It’s legit.

For almost everything, it is my go-to DAW. Well worth the extremely reasonable license.
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear
I marvel at the tight code base, every time they release an update: tiny and blazingly fast compared to every other DAW I’ve tried.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've been using Reaper for several years now, don't see myself ever going back. Previously I'd used Digital Performer, then Acid Pro, and finally Studio One before switching to Reaper. No contest, Reaper aces them all.

One of the best things about it IMHO is its customizable interface, not least of which is the ability to use custom track icons to mirror the studio hardware setup. This is my rig template, the theme is RADO Darko.

Last edited by 24dB; 2 weeks ago at 09:32 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search