The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.
Old 26th January 2017
  #31
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ladd View Post
Hopefully this is true now, wasn't last time I looked 5+ years ago

Lack of controller support is a big though, not sure I could really deal with that...

LOL .. thats Pet Abuse !!! haha ...
Old 26th January 2017
  #32
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by martman22 View Post
For those looking to take the leap from Pro Tools, take a look at this free theme on the Reaper website:

REAPER | Resources
yes but i prefer this one

Quote:
Lack of controller support is a big though, not sure I could really deal with that...
haha laughed !
Old 26th January 2017
  #33
Lives for gear
 
gravyface's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTheSuperior View Post
A big part of why I like REAPER is because of how expandable it is.

I really quite like Studio One, but to give just one of many examples, the MIDI is fairly limited if you've come over from Logic. Quick example - I drew in some drums and wanted to quickly randomise the velocities a bit to make it sound a bit more human. Studio One has a humanise button which works but also moves the timings around which I didn't want, and sure, I *could* quantise it again but I shouldn't have to.

Now, REAPER doesn't have any feature like that built in. But it doesn't matter. I went over to the REAPER forums, found a script to do what I wanted, and then I could add it to the toolbar and even bind a key to that action.

REAPER wins, not because of what the software offers in and of itself, but because of how ridiculously flexible it is. Any feature you could possibly want, someone has probably already written a script for.
Yup.

Another similar win (and I don't know if any other DAWs have this) is the SWS Extensions' snapshot feature.

It's like 2 seconds to take a snapshot of everything, including fader levels (or not) FX, routing, etc. and save that to a tiny file.

Loading it asks you to map like-for-like, then takes as long as it takes to load all the plugins, so maybe 30 seconds on a reasonable machine.

I use this all the time for my "go-to" rough mixes when I want to mix down a rehearsal, etc.
Old 26th January 2017
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
the default GUI is not great but there are some gorgeous skins/themes.
Speak for yourself, and true. While there are 39 pages of alternate themes on the Reaper website (REAPER | Resources), I find the stock skin totally decent, especially when it comes with a dozen different layouts for track and mixer strips depending on what the most important use of real estate is to you.

The only UI-related problem I've had was upgrading to Reaper 5 and, for a few minutes, not knowing where the hell the input source selectors went until I resized the track strips. Once I figured that out, I found the Reaper 5 skin to be beautiful, nice and clean.
Old 26th January 2017
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

Reaper and Nuendo are my DAWs.

I use Reaper more for tracking remotely more because it works well with my old laptop.

I moved away from protools 8 back when they were making things obsolete. I was fortunate enough to recover most of that poor investment
Old 26th January 2017
  #36
Gear Nut
Reaper works on windows, mac os and Linux (alpha but i can open my sessions recorded on windows under linux without any crack or bug !) Dev version 5.29 64bits for Linux/25.11.2016 with jack it's impressive
i'm sure i can connect harrison mixbus (and bitwitg) to reaper under linux via jack ;0)
Old 26th January 2017
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
Quasar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Reaper kills on PC - it's so light on cpu and so reliable. For the price it's the best deal out there by far, on PC anyway.

I ve never used studio 1 but frankly I have zero interest in dropping $500 or a nicer GUI. I m sure it's a great daw, but there's nothing Reaper can't do for my uses. Reaper 's implementation of plugins is great - you can create favorite folders, track templates with fx, save fx chains, and copy paste fx from one track to the next.

You can drag and drop sends etc.

Once you're familiar with it, Reaper is a breeze and it never crashes - it's so reliable!
Same here. REAPER is rock-solid and does everything I need, and I've customized a RADO theme to taste that is both pleasing to the eye and functionally efficient. (I'm not a huge fan of the default UI either, but never understood the criticism, as it can be so easily changed.)

I first gravitated to it because it was both highly recommended and CHEAP. Since discovering on day one how infinitely flexible the track routing is, I haven't looked back or seriously considered any other DAW. I'm not a so-called power user, but learn as needed to do what I want to do, and have gotten pretty comfortable and settled in terms of workflow.

The one thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is the native CC lane control layout in the MIDI editor, but it's not a deal breaker and there are work-arounds anyway. Great DAW.
Old 26th January 2017
  #38
Deleted User
Guest
Seeing this thread made me curious enough to install 5.2. I spent 2 solid days playing with it, customizing, integrating hardware, etc... There are some (many) things about it that are absolutely brilliant.

The showstopper for me is the inability to display multiple mixers, as Cubase does. If it could give me everything I see in the picture, I might well switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.-5-mixdown.jpg  
Old 26th January 2017
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Seeing this thread made me curious enough to install 5.2. I spent 2 solid days playing with it, customizing, integrating hardware, etc... There are some (many) things about it that are absolutely brilliant.

The showstopper for me is the inability to display multiple mixers, as Cubase does. If it could give me everything I see in the picture, I might well switch.
Just curious, what do you use multiple mixers for? Do you have a submix on one that feeds a track on the other, or is it a way to organize different tracks all feeding the master, or do you just want to show two copies of the mixer on two monitors?

Multiple mixers has been a feature request for nearly ten years, just hasn't been implemented. As a possible workaround, you can run multiple instances of Reaper and run one instance's output(s) into the other. Probably more complicated than it needs to be just to get a second mixer window.
Old 26th January 2017
  #40
Lives for gear
 
d.dot's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal View Post
yes but i prefer this one
What skin is this? Gorgeous.
Old 26th January 2017
  #41
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.dot View Post
What skin is this? Gorgeous.
http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reape...ixer-view2.png
Old 26th January 2017
  #42
Gear Head
 
phaezusa's Avatar
 

White Tie Imperial? Nice!
Old 26th January 2017
  #43
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Seeing this thread made me curious enough to install 5.2. I spent 2 solid days playing with it, customizing, integrating hardware, etc... There are some (many) things about it that are absolutely brilliant.

The showstopper for me is the inability to display multiple mixers, as Cubase does. If it could give me everything I see in the picture, I might well switch.
Just curious, what do you use multiple mixers for? Do you have a submix on one that feeds a track on the other, or is it a way to organize different tracks all feeding the master, or do you just want to show two copies of the mixer on two monitors?

Multiple mixers has been a feature request for nearly ten years, just hasn't been implemented. As a possible workaround, you can run multiple instances of Reaper and run one instance's output(s) into the other. Probably more complicated than it needs to be just to get a second mixer window.
The short answer is that I want to be able to see all my tracks/groups/returns at once, just like I could when I used a console.

The longer answer is as follows:

The top row displays the FX retuns & master, groups, // compression and the 2-buss. Below that are all audio tracks & VSTi outputs (conveniently numbering 32).

The bottom band shows all MID tracks, of which there are approximately 50. Just above the MIDI mixer is a scaled project view, so I can look at the actual waveforms and song structure, as well.

The upper left of the lower screen displays what I like to refer to as the "fat channel". This shows a detailed view of whatever channel I am focused on, including inserts, sends, Cubase EQ etc.... a channel strip.

To either side of my QWERTY, I have 3 Novation Launchpad Minis dedicated to accessing every track and its buttons, transport, grouping, zoom and many often-used functions. They really tie everything together for me.

The view shown in the pic is one of many workspaces, similar to Reaper's track layout function.

I'd love to be able to pull this off in Reaper. It's GUI options are superb.
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.-cam02789.jpg   Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.-launchpads-1-2-3.jpg   Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.-5-mixdown.jpg  

Last edited by Deleted User; 26th January 2017 at 06:20 PM..
Old 26th January 2017
  #44
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
The short answer is that I want to be able to see all my tracks/groups/returns at once, just like I could when I used a console.

The longer answer is as follows:

The top row displays the FX retuns & master, groups, // compression and the 2-buss. Below that are all audio tracks & VSTi outputs (conveniently numbering 32).

The bottom band shows all MID tracks, of which there are approximately 50. Just above the MIDI mixer is a scaled project view, so I can look at the actual waveforms and song structure, as well.

The upper left of the lower screen displays what I like to refer to as the "fat channel". This shows a detailed view of whatever channel I am focused on, including inserts, sends, Cubase EQ etc.... a channel strip.

To either side of my QWERTY, I have 3 Novation Launchpad Minis dedicated to accessing every track and its buttons, transport, grouping, zoom and many often-used functions. They really tie everything together for me.

The view shown in the pic is one of many workspaces, similar to Reaper's track layout function.

I'd love to be able to pull this off in Reaper. It's GUI options are superb.
oooh .. lots of knobs and faders .. !!!! i am new to Reaper .. if i find something i will pass along .. great idea you have !!!
Old 27th January 2017
  #45
Lives for gear
While you can't have multiple mixers, you can have multiple rows of mixer channels onscreen. Not the same thing, I realize, but worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Seeing this thread made me curious enough to install 5.2. I spent 2 solid days playing with it, customizing, integrating hardware, etc... There are some (many) things about it that are absolutely brilliant.

The showstopper for me is the inability to display multiple mixers, as Cubase does. If it could give me everything I see in the picture, I might well switch.
Old 27th January 2017
  #46
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
While you can't have multiple mixers, you can have multiple rows of mixer channels onscreen. Not the same thing, I realize, but worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Seeing this thread made me curious enough to install 5.2. I spent 2 solid days playing with it, customizing, integrating hardware, etc... There are some (many) things about it that are absolutely brilliant.

The showstopper for me is the inability to display multiple mixers, as Cubase does. If it could give me everything I see in the picture, I might well switch.
Yes, and it is quite tempting. I would need to develop my own theme, I suspect. Surprised to read that multiple mixers has been a request for 10 years. The crew seems be quite responsive and forward-thinking.

In my current setup, I can also hit buttons to toggle all strips to EQ w/curve, sends or meters. Not sure if I can get precisely that in Reaper. If I made my own theme, I think making the insert/FX text on the strips easier to read would be helpful: too small and not enough contrast for these aging eyes
Old 27th January 2017
  #47
Lives for gear
Talking

It's a very active user group, more than any other I've seen. There are long lists of feature requests, and evidently viewing multiple mixers is not requested by enough people to make it a high priority. For me personally it would be a useless feature. But everyone works differently.

The development team is constantly updating the software, typically every few weeks. I've only been a Reaper user a few months and already there have been significant additions. And the update process is about as painless as humanly possible. From the time I click to download a new version until it's up and running is typically 10-15 seconds, without exaggeration. It's amazing in its efficiency.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Yes, and it is quite tempting. I would need to develop my own theme, I suspect. Surprised to read that multiple mixers has been a request for 10 years. The crew seems be quite responsive and forward-thinking.

In my current setup, I can also hit buttons to toggle all strips to EQ w/curve, sends or meters. Not sure if I can get precisely that in Reaper. If I made my own theme, I think making the insert/FX text on the strips easier to read would be helpful: too small and not enough contrast for these aging eyes
Old 27th January 2017
  #48
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
It's a very active user group, more than any other I've seen. There are long lists of feature requests, and evidently viewing multiple mixers is not requested by enough people to make it a high priority. For me personally it would be a useless feature. But everyone works differently.

The development team is constantly updating the software, typically every few weeks. I've only been a Reaper user a few months and already there have been significant additions. And the update process is about as painless as humanly possible. From the time I click to download a new version until it's up and running is typically 10-15 seconds, without exaggeration. It's amazing in its efficiency.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Yes, and it is quite tempting. I would need to develop my own theme, I suspect. Surprised to read that multiple mixers has been a request for 10 years. The crew seems be quite responsive and forward-thinking.

In my current setup, I can also hit buttons to toggle all strips to EQ w/curve, sends or meters. Not sure if I can get precisely that in Reaper. If I made my own theme, I think making the insert/FX text on the strips easier to read would be helpful: too small and not enough contrast for these aging eyes
Wow. 10-15 seconds for an update. Cubase certainly isn't in that universe.

The constant updating is a double-edged sword, for me. I stopped at Cubase 6.5, even though I own newer versions. With the hardware, macros and tweaking I've done, the newer iterations don't offer me much in the way of anything I don't already have. It's also very stable, which, I'm sure any of us place a high value on.

I've been working with PCs and DAWs since the 80s. I think back to before those times, when the studio was all hardware. It was what it was. The channels were where they were, you had the tracks you had, and so on. That's central to what I'm trying to, now. I want a turn-key that that starts the same way every morning, just like my car In other words, I want to get off the upgrade treadmill and get some work done before I croak. I've been watching and tinkering with Reaper for a few years and really like what I see, particularly with this latest release. Reaper's flexibility/versatility is so compelling that I have to seriously consider to it. If they can bring a couple of critical (to me) features into the mix, it will be a simple decision.

You make a good point, regarding the user group. Lots of positive and helpful stuff.
Old 27th January 2017
  #49
Ok. Only a few things that holds me back from reaper. Be able to scroll sideways in the mixer. I don't like the plugin menu that always shows up when inserting plugins. I want to leftclick and be done.
Then it's nice to have some instruments included. Logic has been good to me. Pro tools is also ok. But reaper has so much potential if they could just fix some basic things basic for me that is. I didn't know about the voc align script. Thanks you .
Old 27th January 2017
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
Quasar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Wow. 10-15 seconds for an update. Cubase certainly isn't in that universe.

The constant updating is a double-edged sword, for me.
It doesn't have to be. An update almost never breaks anything, and if it does it is likely fixed in a day or so. And at any rate, you can roll back as easily as you can roll forward. It takes another 10-15 seconds. Literally.
Old 27th January 2017
  #51
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
It doesn't have to be. An update almost never breaks anything, and if it does it is likely fixed in a day or so. And at any rate, you can roll back as easily as you can roll forward. It takes another 10-15 seconds. Literally.
i also found that you can Have MOre than ONe install of Reaper at Once .. so you can have your upgrade and eat it too !!!
Old 27th January 2017
  #52
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Ok. Only a few things that holds me back from reaper. Be able to scroll sideways in the mixer. I don't like the plugin menu that always shows up when inserting plugins. I want to leftclick and be done.
Thanks you .
I believe that placing your cursor in the bottom scroll area and using your scroll wheel will allow you to do this.

I agree completely, regarding the access to the track inserts. Uncharacteristically clunky of the Reaper team to leave with that.
Old 27th January 2017
  #53
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
now, that said, i could go through and make all the Key Commands the way i have learned them .. things that are backwards to me by default on a mac .. ie: Copy a Clip is Command not Option .. you can change it and there is probably someone that has already done it and made Pro Tools and Cubase etc key commands .. just need to find them or do it myself ..
Just in case you are still looking for it, to change the copy function with alt key instead of Cmd, it's here :

Pref > Mouse modifiers > Media item
Attached Thumbnails
Reaper is amazing. Wish I switched to it years ago.-screen-shot-2017-01-27-23.17.32-.png  
Old 27th January 2017
  #54
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spip View Post
Just in case you are still looking for it, to change the copy function with alt key instead of Cmd, it's here :

Pref > Mouse modifiers > Media item

awesome yes, i found that yesterday ... going to work on a set i like !!!!

thank you,

john
Old 28th January 2017
  #55
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Ok. Only a few things that holds me back from reaper. Be able to scroll sideways in the mixer. I don't like the plugin menu that always shows up when inserting plugins. I want to leftclick and be done.
...
I don't really understand, what do you mean by leftclick and inserts..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I believe that placing your cursor in the bottom scroll area and using your scroll wheel will allow you to do this.
Scroll wheel should actually work either at vertical scroll bar area at the bottom of mixer or anywhere in the area between sends and pan.. eg. where labels, routing and FX buttons are.

Quote:
I agree completely, regarding the access to the track inserts. Uncharacteristically clunky of the Reaper team to leave with that.
There are multitude of things, which can be customized with regards to that.
You can

- dock whole FX-browser and use drag'n'drop anywhere to track or insert position..
- quickly open undocked FX-browser by Shift+F (default) and use drag'n'drop without any clicking to mixer (that's what I personally use)
- right-click to insert slot and quickly recall the plugin from quick add FX menu (the recent ones and your folders)
- if you don't like left-side chain in every FX window, then it's possible to set the option Auto-float newly created FX windows at Preferences/Plug-ins menu

and so on..

Michal
Old 28th January 2017
  #56
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
....There are multitude of things, which can be customized with regards to that.
You can

- dock whole FX-browser and use drag'n'drop anywhere to track or insert position..
- quickly open undocked FX-browser by Shift+F (default) and use drag'n'drop without any clicking to mixer (that's what I personally use)
- right-click to insert slot and quickly recall the plugin from quick add FX menu (the recent ones and your folders)
- if you don't like left-side chain in every FX window, then it's possible to set the option Auto-float newly created FX windows at Preferences/Plug-ins menu

and so on..

Michal
Good to know. I had been focusing on other aspects. I figured they probably had a better way and that I just hadn't seen it yet. I will look harder at some of those functions.

My attention was centered on the lack of multiple mixers and trying to see what I could do to mitigate it within the context of what Reaper offers.
Old 28th January 2017
  #57
Gear Maniac
 

another interesting feature this DAW has is the Rea-mote that allows you to add additional computer for parallel processing computing: that reduces the cpu overhead due to plug ins on the master and balance load the fx processing across multiple computers. (effectively, you can achieve greater processing power beyond what a single machine cpu can deliver)
Old 28th January 2017
  #58
Gear Maniac
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 

If you have an interest in running Nebula/Acqua plugins, Reaper on Windows is THE platform to do it on. Utterly smokes AAX/AU on Mac.
Old 28th January 2017
  #59
Lives for gear
Nothing forces you to update on a particular schedule. Wait until there is a feature you want, if you prefer. But it is so ridiculously painless that I can't think of a reason not to. Usually there are a couple of worthwhile features that I will use. And I'm not exaggerating one bit, I've timed it. Less than 15 seconds from the time I click download until I'm up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Wow. 10-15 seconds for an update. Cubase certainly isn't in that universe.

The constant updating is a double-edged sword, for me. I stopped at Cubase 6.5, even though I own newer versions. With the hardware, macros and tweaking I've done, the newer iterations don't offer me much in the way of anything I don't already have. It's also very stable, which, I'm sure any of us place a high value on.

I've been working with PCs and DAWs since the 80s. I think back to before those times, when the studio was all hardware. It was what it was. The channels were where they were, you had the tracks you had, and so on. That's central to what I'm trying to, now. I want a turn-key that that starts the same way every morning, just like my car In other words, I want to get off the upgrade treadmill and get some work done before I croak. I've been watching and tinkering with Reaper for a few years and really like what I see, particularly with this latest release. Reaper's flexibility/versatility is so compelling that I have to seriously consider to it. If they can bring a couple of critical (to me) features into the mix, it will be a simple decision.

You make a good point, regarding the user group. Lots of positive and helpful stuff.
Old 28th January 2017
  #60
Lives for gear
This is one of the things that mystifies me about PT users. They think it's normal and OK that an update should take (on my system) over an hour to download, several minutes to install, and that each and every time you upgrade there is a chance your system is broken and you need to revert back, or worse, will be completely broken. For me, twice in the last year the licensing process screwed up and turned my PT system completely non-functional. Twice I have been completely dead in the water for half a day or more. Reverting back did no good.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
It doesn't have to be. An update almost never breaks anything, and if it does it is likely fixed in a day or so. And at any rate, you can roll back as easily as you can roll forward. It takes another 10-15 seconds. Literally.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump