The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper...Is it an equal option?
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

One of the reaper users has just coded an app to run UAD plugs on a separate computer of reaper's ReaMote system! Another aspect of the reaper community is that there are a lot of people coding a lot of really cool things for it. This particular guy made a lot of plugins as well
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Pipeline, i was talkin about when i pan hard left or right, i still hear it in both monitors, may be it something in the routing matrix i need to figure out, thanks for any helpthumbsup
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Pipeline, i was talkin about when i pan hard left or right, i still hear it in both monitors, may be it something in the routing matrix i need to figure out, thanks for any helpthumbsup
yeah this happened the other day to another user who had accidetally hit the mono icon on the master

It can also happen if you have a mono plug in the master fx loop (this happens a lot)
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

i took off all the fx on the master buss and i still have the same problem, when i bounce the pan is normal, but when mixing i cant get the panning to sit right.
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Addict

oooh one other thing to look for. REAPER, unlike any app I ever saw, allows you to use the nonstandard "in-between" pairs of stereo I/O

WHat I mean is, normal apps you choose sound card in 1&2 or 3&4 or 5&6 or 7&8

In reaper you can do all that plus 2&3 or 4&5 or 6&7. Lots of times this will screw things up
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
I downloaded the demo twice. Everything seems to work OK except when I hit the play button to hear the demo song nothing happens. The timeline bar doesn't move...any thoughts?
First, check your settings in options-preferences-audio-device. Does the transport say playing but the cursor doesn't move? That's probably it.

If not head over to the Reaper forum, lots of help there.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

deucy..
try this.....take off all fx.....then start panning tracks all left and all right n all over the place....if panning works.....does here....prolly its sumfing in a plug in.
another point matey....your not trying to re pan stereo tracks where the pan was already set before your recording are you ??..ie..by an outboard mixer summing a bunch of mics then into a track in reaper ??...then magically expect reaper to sort it out when its already cast in stone ?? ie.recorded....
ive seen that happen on stereo tracks..weird stuff. not reapers fault.
all panning here works lovely.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Try hitting the return to zero button, Could be the cursor is at the end of the track. :p
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
I downloaded the demo twice. Everything seems to work OK except when I hit the play button to hear the demo song nothing happens. The timeline bar doesn't move...any thoughts?

Reaper behaves that way if you do not have valid ASIO or other audio outputs selected. Look under preferences/audio/device...
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

What about control surfaces? I have a Tascam US-2400, will it work?

Oh...

And what about time compensation for plugs and hardware?

Soundawg
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundawg View Post
What about control surfaces? I have a Tascam US-2400, will it work?

Oh...

And what about time compensation for plugs and hardware?

Soundawg
I think someone is testing the 2400 right now. The MCU and BCF work as does Tranzport

There is PDC for the plugs, as reaper came more from the family of dx apps which have always had. For hardware we are still discussing how and when I think
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
deucy..
try this.....take off all fx.....then start panning tracks all left and all right n all over the place....if panning works.....does here....prolly its sumfing in a plug in.
another point matey....your not trying to re pan stereo tracks where the pan was already set before your recording are you ??..ie..by an outboard mixer summing a bunch of mics then into a track in reaper ??...then magically expect reaper to sort it out when its already cast in stone ?? ie.recorded....
ive seen that happen on stereo tracks..weird stuff. not reapers fault.
all panning here works lovely.
I record out of the 8 busses so i dont think and i stress think, thats the issue, ill track something today and see whats up, Thanks
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
Try hitting the return to zero button, Could be the cursor is at the end of the track. :p
Where is this?
Old 31st January 2007
kdp
Lives for gear

Thanks, It works! I've been a Cubase guy since the early days but it's getting a little bloated. This looks interesting.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

return to zero is on the transport panel < button or clik home
on PC keyboard.
also spend some time going thru every keyboard shortcut.....
HELP>>>keyboard shortcuts.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I did my first tracking with a friend and Reaper worked amazingly all night long with only a few gripes.

1. When I turned on the program, it was like a bad piano chord was hit and everytime I hit the buttons the chord would come across the speakers. Unfortunately it records this piano chord also. I restarted my computer and it was gone. I think it may have something to do with the Mackie MCU though. But I have never used a piano plugin yet with Reaper, this is it's own thing...don't understand.

2. I definitely would like better punch in ability or maybe I don't know how to do it. It seems like you should be able to set an In marker and an Out marker, set the cursor at the lead in and it doesn't start recording until it hits the In marker. If it does this I don't know how to do it.

3. I used some UAD VST's and it got to 40% cpu usage but when I tried to Render the Project it went to 97% and started rendering below realtime. It really hates the UAD stuff I'm seeing. I would definitely want this better. I am going to re-email UAD and try and get some love sent Reapers way again, I'm not going to give up on this. I think it is important for me to be able to really start looking at Reaper more seriously.

Otherwise Reaper worked really well for Tracking though. I was recording 5 tracks at a time from my RME fireface and my computer didn't get above 8%. There were no hiccups in the audio, and I agree with one of the previous posters that the audio just sounds better in Reaper. I initially was saying WTF, but to my ears its true. I was also able to mess with volumes and move the screen and twiddle while recording and the audio kept recording amazingly. If I fiddled with something in Tracktion the audio would sometimes hiccup and that messes up the whole take or you have to do a punch-in. I'm very impressed and with a little more updating, I may be able to move over to Reaper. I would definitely want to never lose the fact that the program runs so well, I would definitely sacrifice extra fluff to keep it small and running amazingly well as opposed to on even par with the other daw's. Keeping on my journey of checking out this seemingly amazing program and will keep posting.
Cameron
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I did my first tracking with a friend and Reaper worked amazingly all night long with only a few gripes.

1. When I turned on the program, it was like a bad piano chord was hit and everytime I hit the buttons the chord would come across the speakers. Unfortunately it records this piano chord also. I restarted my computer and it was gone. I think it may have something to do with the Mackie MCU though. But I have never used a piano plugin yet with Reaper, this is it's own thing...don't understand.

3. I used some UAD VST's and it got to 40% cpu usage but when I tried to Render the Project it went to 97% and started rendering below realtime. It really hates the UAD stuff I'm seeing. I would definitely want this better. I am going to re-email UAD and try and get some love sent Reapers way again, I'm not going to give up on this. I think it is important for me to be able to really start looking at Reaper more seriously.
I forget the exact path, but there is a setting for FX rendering, where you need to set the value to the same amount as your project sample buffer for UAD cards to render optimally. If you search on the Reaper forum, there is a link to a tutorial video for UAD-1 users that shows this and some other tweaks. Definitely seek it out - it helped my UAD-1 performance alot!!

Also, setting your project sample buffer to lower values seems to help alot for some reason. Mine is set to 128, and I am experiencing no CPU munching.

I had that piano chord thing once, and it was due to data being routed to some weird built in GM synth that I didn't even know was on my system.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

cameron....
please dont take my comments the wrong way....cos just my opinion.
but i got reaper so i wouldnt need add on dsp cards....cos rpr has so many
fx built in. just one reason i got the product other than i really like its small footprint/features.
i know this maybe wont win me many friends...but its my honest thinking .....
and i always believe in being honest......
ie..that one can do great songs with just reapers built in fx and you dont need anything else. i truly believe lots of people are buying extras....cos they constantly search for the holy grail...a costly excercise imho.
i also truly believe a really great producer (which i'm not....i'm more a songwriter)...
would do great records with just rpr's builtin fx and the built instillwell n other plug ins.
thus why not just try produceing songs only useing rpr's features n builtin fx..and mebe some freebie vst's from the slew available n see how far that gets you ??

as to punchins..heres what i do.
i name a track....punchins track.....set rpr's cursor 5 secs before the punch in
to get the song juices flowing n hit record....ie..very easy.
all the best.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I will try and check out what that video says, I downloaded it the other day and haven't gotten around to checking it out yet. I do have Piano VST's on my computer but I don't know why data would be sent there way immediately when I turn Reaper on. Very odd...
Thanks for reminding me of the video on the UAD card,
Cameron
Old 31st January 2007
SRR
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Justin is working on better UAD-1 capability as we converse. If you have a Core 2 Duo, you should be ok already, if you have something less then that, you still might be ok. I have a Athlon XP 2400+ and I have bad CPU munching. Sometimes 20-40% cpu usage for one track of UAD-1 plugs, he has my UAD-1 card. The key is setting your audio driver latency as low as it will go, with out playback dropouts. On my system that is 384 samples or 9ms latency. He has PM'd me good stuff, since he got the card. He IS one of the best coders on the planet, if anyone can get it working its him. He just needs, a little help from UA and I think this will be a problem of the past. I said to him if he can't get it working better on slow systems, that I would sell my UAD-1 and buy the parts to upgrade my system to a Core 2 Duo. And run software plugs from here out, if UA doesn't want to play with probably the fastest up coming DAW program, maybe there product isn't for me. In fact I did a very fast mix last night with just software plugs, and I was happy with what I got, so I don't lose either way. Faster system or working UAD-1, doesn't matter to me anymore....
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I figured it out, Im a jackass, in the routing matrix, i had the L+R spidf checked as well as the left spidf and the right spidf checked, the program works great. Does anyone know if reaper plays good with the PoCo?
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
I. Does anyone know if reaper plays good with the PoCo?
Yes, my Powercore works great. PCMCI card, Sony Vaio 3.4 gHz, 2 GIG RAM
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

camerondye, if you want reaper to punch in and out vegas style, by splitting and defining the punch area, in options choose the third one "autopunch selected items"
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

If you punch that way is there a lead in???
Thanks,
Cameron
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

as much as you want. Itll record in the area or areas you select. Bu you can start playback wherever you like

Be aware that if reaper is recording, reaper IS recording, whether the area is highlighted or not, the material IS being recorded! Peel back top level items and you can see a lot of bits reaper recorded you may not have been aware of. Its sort of akin to the quickpunch in PT or retrospective recording in cubendo, buyt most of all just vegas style
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Cool, I wish I knew about that last night...there were a couple hairy punches that ended up working alright though. Tracktion records when its recording also where you can peel it back...very cool. Do you understand that piano chord playing when I start it though? Am I setting up something wrong? I know the UAD card thing is being addressed and appreciate what you are trying to do. I know this has got to be a ton of work to make a complete program do what everybody needs but the results are coming along nicely. Great job...
Thanks,
Cameron
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

check in the options for plugins, "better vsti mode for compatibility with crappy plugins" or whatever its called and see if it still does it. IIRC, if that fixes, theres something specific to tell the plug manufacturer.
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I just emailed Universal Audio again, I found 2 more addresses to try this time for a total of 7 email addresses. The email was a little more direct and I will start emailing everyday starting wednesday. This will get old and they will deal with this. I wonder if Mackie had to go through this BS to get the support and that's why they started doing the Mackie UAD cards.
cam
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

Cameron, can I ask you to try a few things?

1) Can you make sure you're using the latest UAD drivers (4.5.0 I believe)?

2) Can you try enabling the AMD-8131 compatible mode in the UAD applet (and restarting REAPER).. and see if it renders ok then?

Thanks,

Justin
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Nut
Quote:

2. I definitely would like better punch in ability or maybe I don't know how to do it. It seems like you should be able to set an In marker and an Out marker, set the cursor at the lead in and it doesn't start recording until it hits the In marker. If it does this I don't know how to do it.

Set recording mode in options to Record Mode: Auto Punch Selected Items. This way you have as much pre roll as you like, you can also go through a track and record all the dropins in one pass just by selecting the items...so you would create an item the correct length of your punchin by splitting it, then select it. There's other ways but this works the best IMO.

Cheers

EDIT: Whoops, I missed a whole page somewhere, beaten by the Pipe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search