The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper...Is it an equal option?
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

After downloading it and trying it last night for about an hour, I'm impressed. Manning1 told me about Reaper. Thanks!
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

my crappy computer

Just my 2 cents, which doesn't really cost anything...

I downloaded and tried Reaper last night at 4 AM, on my home-built setup which includes an Echo Layla 24, 1 gig of RAM and an Athlon XP processor from 6 years ago.

My conclusion after jumping into it cold and testing how it handles on my system:

I was able to run many more plugs on a track without the computer hiccuping. (I laid out a beat in EZDrummer and then drowned the track in comps, reverbs, delays and other crap that would have locked my system up and made it puke in Cubase SX3.) This rudimentary test is making me seriously rethink about why I would want to spend the cash on a huge program like the Steinberg stuff, when i could do the same with alot more processing power to spare with something like Reaper. As it looks right now, it seems to have all the tools I need to record my little rock and roll band with ease. And the routing is amazingly intuitive.

I will definitely be putting this program thru the ringer -- looks like I just found my new main DAW.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut
xopeth4, my experience exactly, you won't be disappointed.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

cameron...just as added info....
some added features i find usefull in reaper...
i was reminded of today.
these are actual things i did today in my little studio on a song i'm working on.
ie..practical day to day usefull stuff.
instead of silly fluff.
1. a small clip i was working on i wanted to realign vis a vis time ruler.
so i went into item properties n adjusted start time.
on another clip i had sung a slightly off vocal note.
useing item properties i pitch shifted the hi lited note.
now there is also reatune of course which i'm just getting into.
2. i wanted to see a particular problem frequency.....
(eg...bass tracks often...)
so i loaded up the rpr plug in which displays frequencies.
in fact an interesting thing to see how your mixes frequency spreads compare to major records
would be to load the major song into reaper for example and bring up the frequency spectrum.
just an idea.
3. a vocal i did today ...one word was a little late on a track.
so i split/cut the one word as a clip...went into item properties and adjusted
the time offset of the word.
4. on another word a "P" was too pronounced in the word.
so split it ......then hovered the mouse over the start of the P..
and youll see the cursor change...then did a drag fade in on the P with the mouse. to soften the plosive.
5. in one part of a guitar rhythm track the guitar was up too high in level.
split the area once again....then placed the cursor at top of clip till i saw the up down volume
arrow cursor and dragged down with the mouse to lower the level of the offending part.
6. one track i had cos i noticed it weas useing a bit of cpu cos of plug ins...i lowered total cpu use by
printing the track with fx....after saveing it seperately...
(a tip ..when you do this...ensure then you unload/delete fx from the track of course...
in the fx dialogue...or turn them off...rather logical...of course.)
7. on another song i was doing a ruff out of i wanted a quik click track so i inserted
(under insert)...a click source.
8. on another vocal track i did today i had a little cough tween verses.
cos ive had the flu. hilited it....cliked split item at loop selection.
then placed cursor over hilited clip......right clik REMOVE.
cough gone.
just some practical examples from tracking today.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzhead View Post
xopeth4, my experience exactly, you won't be disappointed.
By the way, that's not me in my avatar....
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopeth4 View Post
By the way, that's not me in my avatar....
LOL...heh

Seriously, Cubase cpu efficiency is really bad IMO... But Reaper really is a great DAW anyway. I felt right at home instantly... almost.
Old 27th January 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Do you really think this guy makes his living on Reaper?.. You think he will keep charging 40$ if it gets bigger? He is going to have to hire a graphic designer, pay for expensive marketing, namm boths, etc if he is going to get anywhere and then you might see the cost going up quite a bit.
Well then .. the $100,000,000 he made off AOL
for WinAmp is sure gonna come in handy eh?
Old 27th January 2007
Deleted User
Word of mouth from musicians is ALL you need to sell an app
I think hell be fine.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Not to hijack this thread, and definitly don't wanna start any wars, BUT. I was trying Reaper a little more last night, and had opened a 8 track session from Vegas. Just basic drums bass and guitars, not finished. I was really impressed with Reaper even though it lacked a few features I'd miss from Vegas. But what stood out the most to me was the percieved increased dynamics and depth and clarity of these tracks. I opened the same tracks in Vegas, set all settings the same and it did in fact seem overall inproved, especially in overall clarity and width. I was like, WHAT THE..... I really do not plan on switching from Vegas, nor do I want to, but this bothers me. What am I hearing here? I've always percieved no difference among software as far as sound on output. Is this the 64bit audio engine? The difference was to big to ignore IMO. Any ideas? Same card, converters, monitoring system. Only difference is the software, Reaper/Vegas.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

not to dismiss any reaper magic, but there are a lot of pan law options in reaper, that could be it as well.

But if you ARE hitting the buss hard, then maybe its the extra bits

What are you missing from vegas in reaper? It was made in many ways to add what was missing in vegas from the start. Multiple tempos per project, non ******** fx sends, flexible panning, serious routing, see grids without snapping on, etc..MIDI
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

No, not hitting the buss hard at all. Set the same in vegas as reaper. Your probably right, not sure whats up here, but I'm pretty sure it's not reaper magic. As far as missing features, the aux sends are a little strange, but could get used to them I guess. The biggest thing I would miss is the scrub/shuttle/jkl function. If it had that I'd be sold. Gonna do more tests tonight and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

I dont know about scrub, but the aux send system in reaper is made to fix vegas' broken one. It can do everything vegas' can and soooooo much more

pre vegas 4 I think Vegas was fx pan follows channel, nothing you could do about that except silly stuff like double bussing

after vegas 4 you got send pan is dual mono, period

In reaper EVERY send has a choice of follow channel, dual mono, or independant pan, PLUS each send also has a phase switch AND each fx send can choose which track channels theyre going to

Take a bit more to dig into the aux system as it was mostly vegas users debating for a bit that got it where it is now. Reaper's routing can get confusing, but just hit view\routing matrix if it starts getting too weird
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Damn right 64 bit is in the house!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
Is this the 64bit audio engine? The difference was to big to ignore IMO. Any ideas? Same card, converters, monitoring system. Only difference is the software, Reaper/Vegas.
Hey RusRant!! To answer you question, yers Reaper works in 64 bit mixing engine if that will answer about the difference you've heard while opening the same audio track in Reaper and back to Vegas with the same settings!!!

Good luck!!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

The aux thing is nothing I couldn't get used to once I got more used to the software. The Vegas aux was fine IMO, never had an issue with it. But the scrub/jkl is almost essential to my workflow. As far as the sound difference, this is really perplexing me.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Solar,

Well not sure if thats it or not, more a question than anything. It's subtle, but the difference makes Vegas sound congested. Loss of depth. Same tracks all 0.0 level at fader and master. No plugs, panning volume changes. All through same outputs and monitoring system. Any ideas? I am going to try to record a few things in reaper tonight if I get the time and load them in Vegas and see if there is a difference going that way. Rus
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

So your saying that is the difference I'm hearing? 64bit verses Vegas's, guessing 32? Who do i have to beg to get the scrub function added? I'm sold if thats the case. My plugins even seem to have a little more life to them. I thought 64bit was marketing hype.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Vegas aux was fine IMO, never had an issue with it. .
You never had the drums panned, and noticed how all the sends go to center? If my toms are panned to the left, damn well the reverb send better pan to the left!
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, but never bothered me so much, always found a work around. Not slamming the aux in Reaper, just take a little getting used to is all.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

were discussing the scrub in reaperchat right now. Seems to come up once in a while in the feature requests too.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, saw it mentioned many times on the Reaper Forum. Hopefully it's an added feature soon, that would make the deal for me.
Old 27th January 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

What they should do is prequalify some power users on the major DAWs, and have them go through it with a fine tooth comb. There is a huge amount of SuperNoob recording questions and supposed Reaper "issues" that clog up the Reaper Forum. If people would learn how to plkay music and then make a record first, then they would not be asking so many silly questions.
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well, in general, I'd agree. But for $40, even as good as the program is, it's not going to attract a lot of "power users" away from there DAWS. Mainly this will be used by noobs, as the $ is just right for there budget. But the power will be, and is obviosly tempting to a lot of people.

My favorite silly noob question. How do you recod on this thing?
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Addict

arm a track, pick an input (or chose to record channel output if you MUST record an fx for some reason), pick a monitoring mode and hit the record button

this video is ANCIENT from like reaper 0.44 or something but itll be close

http://www.reaper.fm/~pipeline/REAPE...setting3mb.wmv
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
My favorite silly noob question. How do you recod on this thing?

Hahaha, now I feel better... I am a relatively total noob to recording and I almost intuitively had this figured out in seconds -- I guess there must be some SUPER-NOOBS out there!
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Nut
I don't think he was actually asking, just commenting on the question...
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nope, was not asking indeed. But thanks anyway.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not to hijack this thread, and definitly don't wanna start any wars, BUT. I was trying Reaper a little more last night, and had opened a 8 track session from Vegas. Just basic drums bass and guitars, not finished. I was really impressed with Reaper even though it lacked a few features I'd miss from Vegas. But what stood out the most to me was the percieved increased dynamics and depth and clarity of these tracks. I opened the same tracks in Vegas, set all settings the same and it did in fact seem overall inproved, especially in overall clarity and width. I was like, WHAT THE..... I really do not plan on switching from Vegas, nor do I want to, but this bothers me. What am I hearing here? I've always percieved no difference among software as far as sound on output. Is this the 64bit audio engine? The difference was to big to ignore IMO. Any ideas? Same card, converters, monitoring system. Only difference is the software, Reaper/Vegas.
Yes, the audio is really up there, that is the perception on the Samplitude Newsgroup, the similar high quality as Sam.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
Yes, the audio is really up there, that is the perception on the Samplitude Newsgroup, the similar high quality as Sam.
I don't know if I'll buy into that, in light of all the null tests that have been done. But I must admit, I've only heard that about Samplitude, no other Daw (well, until Reaper now). Who knows really? But at least they aren't saying our sound quality sucks! Anyway it's a 64 bit audio path all the way, if that counts with anyone.
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

According to what I've read on the Reaper forums...looks like the 64 bit thing really shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

This link explains the 64bit stuff and ends up saying that the resulting difference is minimal....quoting:

Despite these apparent mathematical benefits, 64 bit mixing will only yield a minimal quality improvement. 32 bit mixing is still fully sufficient for professional grade productions.

BTW...I'm downloading rpr now to give it a whirl.
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut
Yeah, I'd say it's slightly more than the difference between 88.2K and 96K...which according to Lavry is zero (or worse)...so slightly more than zero

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search