The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper...Is it an equal option?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

brad....
i used to do punch ins that way.
but i just dont bother anymore.
with unlimited tracks in reaper.
heres what i do in both reaper and powertracks.
i just set the cursor on a track named punch ins track.
for example lets say i have a second verse vocal i dont like.
starting at 1min 10secs....heres what i do.
1. place cursor at say 1min5secs to get the energy up...lol.
2. record n stop.
3. if i dont like it.....undo. repeat till i got vocal right.
4. when i'm happy ....just cut n paste into vocal track from punch ins track. works well for me.
many ways to skin a cat.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I'm curious if I can get the Latency settings as low or lower on Reaper as I could with Tracktion.
How much lower than 0.7 msec from RME do you need ?

Thats with BFD and amplitube 2 going

I actually have just left it on 6msec for months and dont bather changing
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
IThis seems to be a pretty basic feature that all the mainstream DAWs have. I would sure hate to do punch-ins without at least pre-roll.
Brad, I just set my reaper to record mode 3 in options (record mode: autopunch selected items) and set playback for as much preroll as I or my clients want. So when using the mouse and keys, the entire concept of preroll is a variable one that is however you feel like it

But I do have to say, reaper is working GREAT with fronteir tranzport, and in a case like that, pre-roll would probably be pretty handy! If this becomes an issue, you can bet Justin will do something about it
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Well said !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Brad, I just set my reaper to record mode 3 in options (record mode: autopunch selected items) and set playback for as much preroll as I or my clients want. So when using the mouse and keys, the entire concept of preroll is a variable one that is however you feel like it

But I do have to say, reaper is working GREAT with fronteir tranzport, and in a case like that, pre-roll would probably be pretty handy! If this becomes an issue, you can bet Justin will do something about it
Well said Pipeline about the pic example of the Latency!!!! its your boy Solar here, proud user of Reaper also. The thing is that a lot of people that are hearing about Reaper, i think because i did myself and it happened to me the first times i downlaod reaper to try out, because i did not see right in my face where i could do this or that, i was like ok i don't think its good but indeed you simply need to give it a go and you will see that the more you go into deep in Reaper the more you discover that it has more functions especially in audio very advanced. Of course again, lets not start saying that ya but in the other hand its missing this or that, of course it is missing some little & major features but its a brand new DAW, give a chance to Reaper's Team because they are building it in junction with their users..

So if you 've played with reaper and don't find such feature, simply go in the forum and either someone will tell you how to achieve that or show you that the feature was already there but you simply did not see it and if it does not exist, make a Request and it will be up in a blink of an eye only if the request is very im0portant or major or if users & developpers agree that it will enhance the workflow...
I mean what can a user ask for more?

my 2 cents!!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I totally dig Reaper. Reminded me of Samplitude but maybe a little easier to learn.

Has midi improved since v1.38?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I love Reaper for it's size and power but I couldn't use it for mainstream studio work as yet. Just little things that make it hard to adjust my workflow habits. For instance, the flexibility is awesome but when tracks are organised into groups things like group mutes/solos become quite painful and theres no global mute/solo switch as I'm used to in Cubase. Little things like I said, but they add up.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

try the alt-solo options
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

been away a few days....saw this thread today....

+1 for Reaper..... folks ya gotta give it a shot...... if ya haven't already..

cheers
Old 26th January 2007
SRR
Gear Maniac

Justin will have my UAD-1 card in his hands today to hopefully once and for all squash the UAD-1 bugs. If he can't get it working in 4 weeks I am selling my UAD-1 and upgrading my computer to take advantage of all the free plugins that it comes with. And maybe buy a couple down the road. I have seen my CPU spike to 40% on one track in reaper with one UAD-1 plug, others with faster machines then my AMD 2400+ have had much less CPU spikes. Seems the lower your latency the less problems you have with UAD-1 CPU munching. I have my bets Justin will figure something out, he seems to always find a cure to whatever is sick in reaper. I got all my bugs fixed minus the CPU munching fixed around ~1.4 he is now up to 1.71. I haven't made a dime with my studio so I more the qualify for the $40 version...if he gets this UAD-1 bug worked out that commercial version is gonna look awful tempting (BTW, $40 and $200 versions are the same thing, he just asks if you are making money in your studio to pay for the $200 version, which is more then fair IMHO). BTW, he has gone on the forums and said he isn't going to make this into a massive program with a massive marketing campaign to go along with it, he just takes on bug reports and feature requests one at a time, and lets the program speak for itself, which if you haven't tried it out for 30 days yet, you probably haven't spoken with the program enough, cause there is already enough features to keep you busy for 60days.

Anyways here is to Justin, hoping he can fix the UAD-1 munching...
Old 26th January 2007
Here for the gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
I've looked at Reaper and I think it has all of the features anyone would need. Do I need to remind that we could still be sitting here with a reel of $250 tape and a razor blade doing edits? That is expensive editing!

I wish Reaper was available on Mac because I'd use it in a second. It appears to be extremely straightfoward and built on common sense.
Hi there,

over at the reaper forum you can find a preview build for mac. i am
using it right know, not much functionality yet - hope that comes soon.
but besides that it works beautifully!

here's the link:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...hlight=preview
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I tried Reaper a little bit more, I found I could use my Mackie Control Universal. I went to options, control surfaces, and there was the option for Mackie Control Universal. I need to find out what all the buttons on his correspond to. Does anybody know which Lexan cover is closest to how he programed the MCU?
Also, the UAD-1 card does munch some. I need to turn up the latency when I'm mixing. It seemed that certain ones hurt it worse than others. I had the card 45% full and added one and it almost shut down, then added a different one and it was fine. I'm sure the designer guy already knows the problem and is just trying to find a solution.
In Tracktion I was able to cut a portion of (for example) a vocal, then I could add an effect to that portion of the track. I know I can cut and paste it into another line, but it was a pretty convenient way to add an effect to just a portion of a track.
And by no means was I dogging Reaper about the latency, I am 2 days into trialing the program out and just voicing what is going on so far and what I am finding out. And I was definitely leaning towards the latency in Reaper being better because the small program size, has less to do.
So far I am very impressed with the program. I was just looking for options instead of upgrading to Tracktion 3. Tracktion 3 just doesn't seem to be upgrading the things that I would like upgraded and kind of going towards the midi direction more and I don't really want to pay for it. I was looking at my options and Reaper kept coming up so I said WTF.
Cameron
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

re add in dsp cards.
no flamers please ....but i find with reaper and other tricks i dont need add in dsp cards. it really comes down to what one needs to do a song.
reaper has a huge built in fx suite as does the other daw software i use.
i wonder how many people have really dug into all the different settings in built in fx.
then there are all the huge third party plug ins out there.
thus cameron.....try doing a song without add in cards for dsp.
really learn how to use the built in plug ins in conjunction with lots of tricks.
like slipping duped tracks versus originals ....a favorite trick.
or delaying the bass trik to simulate an effect.
record a track....dupe it...offset it a few msecs... cut bass on original n boost bass on offset dupe. its all in how settings are done.
maybe young uns dont remember but omce years ago good old tape slap echo was the vogue with 3 head deks. as well as micing speakers in reverberant spaces. n building ones own echo chambers. lol.
i love to experiment like this....lots of fun.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with you about trying the effects out in Reaper but I'm only 2 days into trialing it and the first things I need to find out if the $2200 I spent on UAD plugins are going to work. I really like my UAD plugins and already know how they work. I am definitely interested in trying out everything in Reaper, I bet his effects are great. I think the UAD stuff is the level of things aren't better than it, they are different than it. IMO it's like a Great River pre or and Avalon pre, which is better? Neither, they are just different and great for certain things. I want to get to the end result in my own way, and this is the way I'm choosing. So me coming into Reaper, I want to find if I can better my workflow and results. Part of that is trying out Reaper effects, but that is lower on the totem pole to me though. I am jazzed about Reaper, but I'm going to take my time trying it out. Which DAW I use is important and is a big long term decision. I could always get a divorce later but then you lost all that time, the summer condo, the mercedes, half the money...and that just sucks. I will have more time on the machine this weekend when I'm not at my real job.
Cameron
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrimm View Post
Hi there,

over at the reaper forum you can find a preview build for mac. i am
using it right know, not much functionality yet - hope that comes soon.
but besides that it works beautifully!

here's the link:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...hlight=preview
Great! I'll certainly check it out!
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Good points about the different punch-in methods guys.
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Regarding the UAD-1 troubles, this is 100 % UA not giving a crap about their customers. Since REAPER's first public beta and no less than once every two weeks since then I have emailed them for help, or at least even contact with the developer

This is no different than the two years Sony spent trying to get UA to help with the Sony apps, and no doubt the same frustration SONAR guys felt.

Now, that said, because at the start Justin and I worked close and fast to try and get things working, my UAD-1 does work fine, I can experience what the nuendo guys had with the card all along, free DSP. Billyk another member has FOUR of these running, but he's got a similar setup to mine. I tried the card on my tracking PC and it worked as crappy as it did in sonar and vegas

UA needs to give a crap, things will improve

Same thing happened with RME. I had to send Justin an RME card and he got MOST of the RME bugs worked out, but still no help from them, despite repeated please by many customers. We are lucky Justin is a genious. We could STILL use some help from RME however.

Mackie's MCU was the funnest. Mackie pretty much emailed back that we could take the shaft on the MCU issue and no SDK would be forthcoming. A lot of the naysayers spoke of how impossible it would be without the SDK so things looked grim. Two days later, Justin had it all going, along with a picture of his MCU displaying "Here comes the ****storm" in the LCD

Youll notice an entire multiapp wiring system in there called "ReaRoute" which was the result of Propellerheads dragging their feet with the rewire SDK. REAPER has Rewire now, but the rearoute drivers turned out handy for other things.

The point is, if a company in question gives one iota of a crap about its customers, Justin will gladly and quickly get their product running well with reaper
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

That is most unfortunate to hear about those companies, because that seems to be so basic of a task. I will be emailing UAD and Mackie today. It will probably be to no avail, but I will try anyhow. Does anybody know how Reaper sets up the MCU though? Is there a guide to which buttons work or what in Reaper? Thanks,
Cameron
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Regarding the UAD-1 troubles, this is 100 % UA not giving a crap about their customers. Since REAPER's first public beta and no less than once every two weeks since then I have emailed them for help, or at least even contact with the developer

This is no different than the two years Sony spent trying to get UA to help with the Sony apps, and no doubt the same frustration SONAR guys felt.

Now, that said, because at the start Justin and I worked close and fast to try and get things working, my UAD-1 does work fine, I can experience what the nuendo guys had with the card all along, free DSP. Billyk another member has FOUR of these running, but he's got a similar setup to mine. I tried the card on my tracking PC and it worked as crappy as it did in sonar and vegas

UA needs to give a crap, things will improve

Same thing happened with RME. I had to send Justin an RME card and he got MOST of the RME bugs worked out, but still no help from them, despite repeated please by many customers. We are lucky Justin is a genious. We could STILL use some help from RME however.

Mackie's MCU was the funnest. Mackie pretty much emailed back that we could take the shaft on the MCU issue and no SDK would be forthcoming. A lot of the naysayers spoke of how impossible it would be without the SDK so things looked grim. Two days later, Justin had it all going, along with a picture of his MCU displaying "Here comes the ****storm" in the LCD

Youll notice an entire multiapp wiring system in there called "ReaRoute" which was the result of Propellerheads dragging their feet with the rewire SDK. REAPER has Rewire now, but the rearoute drivers turned out handy for other things.

The point is, if a company in question gives one iota of a crap about its customers, Justin will gladly and quickly get their product running well with reaper

That's impressive. thumbsup
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
That is most unfortunate to hear about those companies, because that seems to be so basic of a task. I will be emailing UAD and Mackie today. It will probably be to no avail, but I will try anyhow. Does anybody know how Reaper sets up the MCU though? Is there a guide to which buttons work or what in Reaper? Thanks,
Cameron
Forget Mackie, I am willing to bet Justin's driver is faster and more efficient than the mackie SDK at this point. But thanks a ton for mailing UA. When SRR's card reaches Justin, I suspect the troubles may end hopefully.

Regarding the layout of the MCU, you'll either have to just play with it, or search the forum, or better yet come to reaper chat for functions. Those of us with MCU's seem to have lost interest for a bit in it, so havent really been pushing for further development. If it is something important to you though, Im sure more work can be done on it, and especially with the new learn modes in REAPER
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

All the main functions work amazingly well on the MCU, it's just the fluff that I'm not sure about. It is definitely not a huge point because I do most of that stuff with the mouse, i was impressed about the MCU even added at all. It took about 30 seconds without a manual to get it to work so I am def not bitching, still in curious mode. Thanks for your emails about the issues with UAD. I went to the website and copied every email I could find which was about 5 and emailed pleading to do what they could to help so I and many other customers could keep using the product with Reaper. I made the first email nice and see how it works, I am wondering if I even get a response...but I won't let it die. I have a feeling that this is an important thing for more than just me and I will keep trying. There are phone numbers on there too, I will try those if I don't get a response. HOPEFULLY, they wont let it go to that...I currently have faith in the company and hope that that doesn't change.
Thanks,
Cameron
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Does RPR do automation?
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
Does RPR do automation?
Yes, and as a new user it seems pretty decent.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

That was one thing in Tracktion I though kind of sucked was there Automation, it seemed very goofy to set up and was always a pain in the ass. Can anybody give a brief description of how to use the automation in Reaper? That is something I would like to check out this weekend, very interested. Appreciate all the help...
Thanks,
Cameron
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

join Reapers forum!

Quote:
That was one thing in Tracktion I though kind of sucked was there Automation, it seemed very goofy to set up and was always a pain in the ass. Can anybody give a brief description of how to use the automation in Reaper? That is something I would like to check out this weekend, very interested. Appreciate all the help...
Thanks,
Cameron
hey Cameron! Glad here that you're starting the get the feel of what Reaper is all about. And to be honest with you, if you really want to not waist time and know more about Reaper & automation, i suggestion you to join the community in Reaper forum and over there you'll get all the answer you need to start or understand on how Reaper work with automation because there is already tons of thread tlking about this matter!! Good luck and Justin is coming up with more updates and fixes, this guy is simply incredible with his team!!

WoW!!

Later
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

I will try the forum over there, because there is not a lot of stuff about Reaper on Gearslutz. It is usually just people mentioning that they like it a lot. Thanks,
cam
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

cameron.....its pretty extensive....for example you can draw in automation of volume or pan as just one example.
yesterday i automated a little clip on a track for example to do a ping pong from one speaker to another n back. what exactly do u want to do ??
it might help to narrow things down to concise answers.
i would also gp thru all pipes great vids.
i dont do extensive automation,,,,,,,but for example i just did a song with a slow fade out by bringing up automation in the master track....and choosing volume automation....then drawing it in at end of song. by drawing in the points....
big tip...note if u right click over a node point you can set its db etc.
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

UA emailed me back that they were sending it to the people in developement or something, I will follow up on Monday to see if anything is getting done. Reaper is really looking great to me except once you get some UAD plugins going on there is really starts getting bogged down quick. I am going to make a solid effort at getting them to do something about this because it is really weak that they don't help people to be able to even use their products. It probably wouldn't even involve a lot of work on their behalf. We'll see I guess...day 1 of the UAD mission tutt
cam
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

So how about midi in Reaper? Is it as good as Cubase? ..close?
Old 26th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
So how about midi in Reaper? Is it as good as Cubase? ..close?
not yet, I don think, but it will be with your help

most of the OG reaper guys were audio only, so it took some doing for the midi, still its getting there and open to suggestions
Old 26th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
not yet, I don think, but it will be with your help

most of the OG reaper guys were audio only, so it took some doing for the midi, still its getting there and open to suggestions
Good idea! I'll download the latest version and see if i can help.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search