The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing/Automation Question
Old 30th November 2005
The Distressor's "daddy"

Mixing/Automation Question

1) When doing major mixdowns and you are using a large format analog console, do you ever still use some automation within your digital editor (Protools etc)? If so, what would you automate within Protools etc, and what would you automate on the analog console, and why?

2) Do you ever "double" automate key tracks like vocals, once before compression and once after compression? Could you possibly give a recent example of doing this on a specific track, and why?

3) Have you mixed a major album completely within the box?
How do you feel about the ergonomics (physically dealing with the mouse or controller), and final sound quality of doing this?

THANKS!
Old 30th November 2005
Guest Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr
1) When doing major mixdowns and you are using a large format analog console, do you ever still use some automation within your digital editor (Protools etc)? If so, what would you automate within Protools etc, and what would you automate on the analog console, and why?

2) Do you ever "double" automate key tracks like vocals, once before compression and once after compression? Could you possibly give a recent example of doing this on a specific track, and why?

3) Have you mixed a major album completely within the box?
How do you feel about the ergonomics (physically dealing with the mouse or controller), and final sound quality of doing this?

THANKS!
Hi Dave,
I'm loving my Lil Freq...thanks for building it. I'll take a crack at answering....
1. When on a large format analogue console I do use some automation within Pro Tools, Nuendo, etc. It's pretty easy to automate effects, EQ changes, sometimes mutes to tweak the arrangement, etc.

2. No, I don't usually automate before and/or after compression. Now, I may automate the threshold of a compresser if I feel it's hitting to hard in certain sections...but usually, if I have the compresser set up right, it stays and I just write vocal fader moves, for example.

3. I have mixed major albums in the box. With a mouse, and it's a pain in the ass, as you can only do 1 thing at a time. With a controller, it's certainly easier. I don't like the final sound quality in the box, yet...although it's getting better...that's why I will usually use a better, more phase coherent stereo combining network. Basicall, I have been happy with the sound, but of course if the client is happy I am usually happy.
best,
ed
Old 30th November 2005
Gear Head

Hey Uncle Freddie, Russell Broom here, long time no speak!

As far as using a "more phase coherent stereo combining network", are you referring to some form of analog summing box other than a console? Wondering what you have tried, and what has worked and not worked for you.

oh yeah, and how is the new dog working out? (I guess its been about 3 years now, sheeeesh, how time flies!)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search