The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To Elliot Scheiner: Mono monitoring Patchbays
Old 29th November 2005
Lives for gear

To Elliot Scheiner: Mono monitoring

Hi Elliot,

one thing I recently noticed about 'Aja' is how incredible it sounds on my Tivoli mono radio (that I set up for referencing mixes in mono.)

A lot of great records past this test but 'Aja', along with 'Thriller', are the ones that completely blew me away in a 'Is this really coming out of that small speaker' way. I can hear EVERYTHING and all the balances are there, every bass note audible,etc,etc

So my obvious questions: Did or do you still spend a lot of time mixing in mono or is this just a 'side effect' of a great stereo mix?

Was mono-referencing a priority for the 'Aja' mixes?

It seems ironic (in a nice way) that music that is generally considered as being 'audiophile' also sounds great on cheap, small systems. Most unlike a lot of so-called audiophile records that demand $ 20'000 systems to sound 'right'....

best regards
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

Hi
This Radio..does it have the correct inputs on the back or did you have to rip it apart.
I often look for a mono speaker myself but as yet, have not identified one.
thanks
scruffy
Old 30th November 2005
Lives for gear

scruffydog,

I use a Coleman LS3 Line Level Selector to switch bewteen my monitors. The Tivoli has an Aux in, so I just use a stereo cable that sums the L + R jack outputs of the Tivoli to the input of the Tivoli. (it's a mini-plug like you'll find on a Mini Disc recorder)
Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search