The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To George.... Converters on your ICON...
Old 19th November 2005
Gear addict

To George.... Converters on your ICON...

Hey George

Which converters did you end up using on your ICON?

Rail
Old 19th November 2005
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
Hey George

Which converters did you end up using on your ICON?

Rail
hi Rail,

most often i use the ones in the 192 I/O; they sound fine, and hold up very well in A-B-C-HR listening tests. up until last year i thought dB Tech was hopeful as a company and as a technology, but i feel far less so today. at the surround conference in Los Angeles last year Dan's wife has made it her life to personally take me down (because i've stated in public that there may be something important to be learned about high-resolution converters with sample rates beyond 96k).

generally i record 96k.

GM
Old 19th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml

generally i record 96k.

GM
Thanks for sharing that. Interesting ........ after the lavry / mytek discussions that went on over here a while back.

96 as much as possible here too.

Curious though about how you 'perceive' working in 96k.

I find the most benefit you get out of it is during the mixing stage. I mean ... yes ... tracking and the conversion done at that point IS an important stage but imvho rather inferior to having a great source to capture in the first place. I'd rather capture a fantastic source @ 44/16 then a ****ty source @ 96/24. So what I do , even with stuff I don't track myself that comes in ... I convert everything to 96/24 ....

Is it the plugins that sound better , the DA's that sound better , the mixer engine that sounds better @ 96 .... probably a conbination .... I find it easier to be pleased with what I try to do.
Old 21st November 2005
Gear Head

Hi George,

> use the ones in the 192 I/O; they sound fine,<

So are there any special items you're using for the system? Extermal clock, special analog cabling etc? I know you prefer analog processing whenever you can, but you must have some favorite "go to" plugins on the Pro Tools platform. Care to share? BTW, I saw the picture of your new room. Really fantastic, I'd love to hear it. But what about the floor? It's just FLAT. What's up with that?;-)
Old 22nd November 2005
jho
Lives for gear

Bless you George (from an owner of a bunch of 192 I/O's)

Looking forward to your response to Chris' question. Also Chris, interesting thing you are doing bumping stuff up to 96. I'll try that soon.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search