The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
To all - What monitors do you use? Studio Monitors
Old 10th November 2005
Lives for gear

To all - What monitors do you use?

and for how long have you been using them? ...do you also use a sub with them?...do you use smaller/bigger ones to complement your primary ones?

Thank you!
Old 17th November 2005
Here for the gear

Smile Yeah Thats a good question!!

I´d like to know that too!!
Thanks

Best
Achim heh
Old 18th November 2005
gml
Gear Nut

at least 2 of us (Chuck and i) use ATC's. our studios at Blackbird use ATC300's for the main monitors in three big control rooms (as does Chuck in his big room) and i use ATC150's in Studio C.

i also really like the new Genelec 8050's, and use them for my mid-field reference, and for when i have to go somewhere else to work.

i use multiple 7070 subs for everything.

George
Old 20th November 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml
at least 2 of us (Chuck and i) use ATC's.
snip
i also really like the new Genelec 8050's, and use them for my mid-field reference, and for when i have to go somewhere else to work.

i use multiple 7070 subs for everything.

George
No more SGM-10???
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear interested

Like George said I have the ATC 300a's for mains at my studio at Sound Stage. In the lounge I have a bass managed surround system of NHT A 20's that I check for low end conflicts on. I use the old tweeter KRK E8's for near fields and mid fields in surround and I have a pair of NHT M-00's for small speaker reference. At home I use Nova Applause speakers in surround. I also have a surround setup of the Nova Applause S that I use in surround to mix on, instead of the E8's, from time to time but are on loan at Georgetown Masters. (Hank at Mastermix also uses the Nova's for surround mastering) In my production room I've got a pair of ATC SCM 20's that are bass managed. These things sound amazingly like my main speakers at BackStage and I would highly recommend them.

The new line of JBL's are really impressing me as an alternative to any of these speakers.
Old 22nd November 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Chuck,

Are you referring to the new JBL "LSR4300" Series?

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2005
Gear Head

George,

In the photos I've seen of your new room you have the Genies placed on top of the ATC's. In this configuration aren't they both acting as "Mid field's"?

Shelton
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Chuck,
Have you listened to the PMC IB1 speakers, if so what is your opinion?
Thanks,
Mike
JMK Audio
Old 23rd November 2005
Lives for gear

Mr. Ainlay,

When you say that your ATC 20's are 'bass managed', do you mean that you're sending frequencies below a certain point to a sub?

If so, what would the crossover point be, and would you mind saying what subwoofer you use?

I've been using 20's for a couple of months, and it's been a real ear-opener.

Thanks!
Max
Old 25th November 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
and for how long have you been using them? ...do you also use a sub with them?...do you use smaller/bigger ones to complement your primary ones?

Thank you!
I've been using Yamaha NS-10's for stereo for about 15 years. I don't use a sub for stereo. On occasion I will you the NS-10's for 5.1 with a KRK Rock bottom sub. Most of the time though I use the Yamaha MSP-10 studio monitors for 5.1 with Yamaha S-10 sub.

Els
Old 28th November 2005
Guest Moderator

In my home studio, I am using the SGM 10's with the Mastering Lab Crossover and speaker enclosure. I owned 2 pair, and was able to find a 5'th for surround monitoring. I am also using a dual Meyers sub, although when doing stereo mixes, I do not use the sub.....I am also using the old Yamaha P2200 to power them. It's a very familiar set up for me, one that I have been using a long time and on lot's of albums. I also use NS 10's as alt speakers at home.
I do keep a different studio rig, and for that I have been using KRK E-8's....but with the Kevlar tweeter. I like the sound of them, I can turn them as loud as I need to....and I like not having to also carry amplifiers with me.
ed
Old 30th November 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cherney
In my home studio, I am using the SGM 10's with the Mastering Lab Crossover and speaker enclosure.

I am also using the old Yamaha P2200 to power them
Thanks for the reply, Ed;

Stock 2200, or with the Haselton mod?
Old 30th November 2005
Guest Moderator

Oh yeah, with the Haselton mod.
best
Old 1st December 2005
gml
Gear Nut

speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton
George,

In the photos I've seen of your new room you have the Genies placed on top of the ATC's. In this configuration aren't they both acting as "Mid field's"?

Shelton
well, they're both positioned in a kind-of a "mid-field" place but the role of the 150's is certainly to act as big monitors, and the role of the 8050's is more of a "smaller-speaker" option. i suppose i could put them closer. you'll need to have heard the room to know that it's different than anything we've gotten used to up to now. for one thing, one can hear much more clearly at a distance..

George
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search