The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NUENDO USERS???
Old 8th November 2005
Gear Head

NUENDO USERS???

ive read that Nashville is a big Nuendo town, do most of you guys use Nuendo??
Old 10th November 2005
Gear interested

The alternative

Nashville has a pretty good base of Nuendo users and there are workshops going on fairly consistently. Digi still leads the race by a landslide which just amazes me. I don't even consider it a problem as it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue anymore. Everyone that brings me something to mix never has any problem with me choosing to use Nuendo. By consolidating files there really isn't an exchange issue either. I just find it easier to work on and think it sounds better but to each his own.
Old 11th November 2005
Lives for gear

What are you guys using to interface with the computer? Apogee? Is there a common setup (I/O) for Nuendo software?

Thanks very much!

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 12th November 2005
Gear interested

Nuendo interface

I've got two systems that have three Lynx AES 16 cards each. That give me 48 I-O. The system that I use primarily has 48 channels of Apogee 16X converters. The other system is connected to a pair of Yamaha O2R 96 digital desks. I also have a laptop system that I use as a mixdown machine. I use the RME multi-face with that and Mytech converters via a Nuendo DD8 lightpipe to AES converter. When we recorded Mark Knopfler's latest tour we used a pair of RME MADI cards that connected directly to the front of house DIGICO Desk. All these interfaces have work really well for me and my different needs. I know that Frank Fillipetti uses the RME MADI cards to connect to his Euphonics desk but I believe most of the other META guys are using the Lynx cards.
Old 15th November 2005
Gear Head

Hello Chuck. Very nice to have you here. Mark Knopfler is my hero and i feel that you are the perfect much for his kind of work.

1) I too have an Nuendo/AD16X system that i curently use in conjuction with a motu card. I was wondering if it's i good idea to buy Apogee's own firewire card. As i see you prefer to use AES and MADI do you feel that firewire is not safe or that it has worse latency figures.

2) I have an old Trident B Range to my studio that i mainly use for tracking. Do you think that i can benefit from using it for mixing?

Thank you in advance

John
Old 16th November 2005
Gear interested

I've been very fortunate to work with some great artists throughout my carreer but no other artist has been more influential than Mark, in my understanding of the difference music can make, in the lives of the people who listen to it.

That said, I've no experience with the Apogee card but I would tend to worry about having both my audio interface and storage media on the same port.

If your currently mixing in the box, give the Trident a try and see if you enjoy it. The hassle might be worth it sonically.
Old 16th November 2005
Gear Head

Thank you Chuck. It was quite an experience to have my questions answered by you. By the way great drums in "boom like that".
Old 21st November 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ainlay
I've got two systems that have three Lynx AES 16 cards each. That give me 48 I-O. The system that I use primarily has 48 channels of Apogee 16X converters. The other system is connected to a pair of Yamaha O2R 96 digital desks. I also have a laptop system that I use as a mixdown machine. I use the RME multi-face with that and Mytech converters via a Nuendo DD8 lightpipe to AES converter. When we recorded Mark Knopfler's latest tour we used a pair of RME MADI cards that connected directly to the front of house DIGICO Desk. All these interfaces have work really well for me and my different needs. I know that Frank Fillipetti uses the RME MADI cards to connect to his Euphonics desk but I believe most of the other META guys are using the Lynx cards.
Keyplayer: Hi Chuck. Welcome and thanks for doing this. I was wondering, based on your statement about the 2 systems, if you feel that the converters in the 02R96 are equal to or superior to the Apogee converters?

I was also wondering if you'd had any opportunity to use the FX cards (ie: the Waves Bundles) that are now available for the Yamaha desks (DM1K, 02R96, DM2K) and, if so, what you thought of them? In fact, I'd be very inteested in any insight, tips or tricks you'd care to offer about those desks and their interface capabilities with Nuendo.

Thanks again.
Old 22nd November 2005
Gear interested

My personal opinion, on the converters in the Yamaha, is that they arn't as bad as you might think given what's all packaged, for the price, in this powerful little console. Let's get one thing straight though, I use the Yamaha setup as a cost contious alternative to my full on situation of 48 I-O Apogee 16x system through my SSL 9000 J at BackStage at Sound Stage Studios. The Yamaha is amazing for what it can do but given the choice I would always opt for the analog desk.

I have the two O2R96's configured with all AES cards in the slots so that I can get 24 channels each, in and out on each desk using the fourth slot in each desk to interface a TC M5000 for effects and an out board eight channel converter for analog inserts. This doesn't allow for any FX cards so I've not experienced them. That being said I do have a UAD-1 card in my computer, which I love and a TC powercore PCI card. I have the full suite of Waves plugins which there are many of them I feel are essential. I'm looking into the idea of getting the Wave APA 44 for additional plug in support.

I'm admittedly a novice on the Yamaha's and there would be others more qualified than myself to give tips. Perhaps Elliot could shed more light.
Old 24th November 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ainlay
My personal opinion, on the converters in the Yamaha, is that they arn't as bad as you might think given what's all packaged, for the price, in this powerful little console. Let's get one thing straight though, I use the Yamaha setup as a cost contious alternative to my full on situation of 48 I-O Apogee 16x system through my SSL 9000 J at BackStage at Sound Stage Studios. The Yamaha is amazing for what it can do but given the choice I would always opt for the analog desk.

Keyplayer: Isn't that more of a front end consideration? I mean if you had a rack of SSL XK Channels for capture, wouldn't that yield essentially the same results at mixdown? I get that you think the Apogee Converters are better, which makes sense. But after the mic pre and converter stage, it's just a routing concern, right? So if you captured on an SSL signal path, wouldn't you rather keep it digital until final playback? I just wonder about the extra conversions back and forth.

Not having access to such stellar gear on a regular basis, I can only assume that at your level, the extra conversions aren't a concern. But down here where I am (DMX R100s, DA7's and Mackie D8Bs or 32-8s), I was given to believe that once you got a pristine analog capture, it was to be protected at all cost until it's delivery as an analog signal again. That meant to stay in the box or as close to the box as possible (ie: a single stereo bus conversion to access an Eventide or Lexicon Processor instead of a plug-in) until you printed your stereo or 5.1 mix.
Has the quality of all the gear available now improved to such a state that this standard is no longer a concern?
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search