The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Questions for Chuck
Old 8th November 2005
Lives for gear

Smile Questions for Chuck

I am a huge fan of your work! I have worked with some of the artists you record
in the past as a Guitar player. Ive wondered for years how do you get the great guitar tone with Vince Gill? (amp,compressor,mics?)

Are a lot of major Nashville recordings done on 2" tape or Digital?

What mics do you use with Reba,Vince or other country artists?

What are some of your favorite Preamps and compressors?

How do you record Bass Guitar or electric,Acoustic? (pre,compressor,Fender Precision or Jazz)...

Thanks so much! This is such an opportunity having you here on Gearslutz!!
Old 10th November 2005
Gear interested

You must like country music

When you walk into most studios these days you find the analog machine collecting dust in the hallway. I'm still a big fan if the budget permits. In Nashville the other problem is how fast we cut albums. Working on analog and then transfering takes time and can slow the process unacceptably. With George Strait for example we will track four or five songs a day, with fixes, vocal takes, solos and everything but comping and backing vocals. So in cases like that, I just track to Nuendo at 96k. Tape is also an issue at the moment. Quality control on the new batches seems to be an issue and old stock is hard to find. It also add more cost to a project that is getting harder to justify to the bean counters at the label.

On Reba's vocal we always used a U47 and I believe she still does. Vince always used a C12. I tend to stick to classic tube mics on vocals like these two and like a 251 or 67 but I like some of the newer mics as well like the Brauner VM1 and Sony C800. You just have to stick up a bunch of mics and see what sounds best on the singer.

My favorite mic pre's have always been the GML and Neve 1073 channel but I have this proto type pre from Upstate Audio that's killer. I just got one of the new Presonus preamps designed by Anthony Demaria I'm in love with. I also really dig the UA 610. Oh and I must not forget my favorite vocal pre by Martech. I like API pre's on electric guitars. I could go on and on but those are some of the ones I use regularly.

On bass I now use this really cool channel made by Mellennia, the TD 1 which also has a great mic pre in it but it sounds so great on bass that I guess I'll have to buy another one someday soon. I like to take the bass amp as well if the player brings it. I just have him in the room with the drums a let it bleed. The bleed adds to the size of the bass and I dig it. Remember those Zepplin and Creme records. Electric guitar is just a Shure 57 and a Royer 121 or maybe a U67 and just recently, as suggested by Frank Fillipetti, I've been using an Audio Technica 4047. Compression, maybe maybe not. It really blows on Mark Knopfler.
Old 12th November 2005
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Ainlay
I just got one of the new Presonus preamps designed by Anthony Demaria I'm in love with.
I just purchased the ADL600 along with the API 3124+. What are some situations that you have found the ADL works best in? I'm new to recording and would love any tips you can give.

Thanks
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search