The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For Elliot - Toy Matinee 5.1
Old 2nd November 2005
Lives for gear

For Elliot - Toy Matinee 5.1

Hi Elliot -

You old pal Bruce Maddocks turned me on to your surround mix of "Toy Matinee" (the late Kevin Gilbert + Patrick Leonard, for you folks who aren't familiar with this record). I think it's the best example I've ever heard of using surround mixing creatively without seriously messing with the original mixer's vision (Bill Bottrell as I recall). Do you approach all your surround mixes this way, or do you sometimes ignore the original stereo mix and just do what sounds right to you in the new context?

Peace,

Hud
Old 9th November 2005
Gear interested

Toy Matinee

Hi Hud....Thanks. I always try to remain true to the stereo. I believe it would be a mistake to create something different than the original intention of the artist. I did this mix early on in the 5.1 world and neither Bill or Pat could be present but even if they had I would have approached it the same way.

Els
Old 9th November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Scheiner
Hi Hud....Thanks. I always try to remain true to the stereo. I believe it would be a mistake to create something different than the original intention of the artist. I did this mix early on in the 5.1 world and neither Bill or Pat could be present but even if they had I would have approached it the same way.

Els
How about doing both surround and stereo mixes at the same time.

I mean discreet mixes for each. I got inspired by Ronald Prent at Galaxy studios a couple of weeks ago to look into this. I'm actually trying to do this in my own little way on my Icon system. I'm currently in the middle of doing the first mixes this way and except for the fact that it is something to get used to ... especially in your own head - keeping track of 2 mixes at the same time ... I think it is something that if it works out I could get used to.

Reasons ? well .... there's never a budget to do 2 seperate mixes in the average artists world is there ?

Also, on the occasions I have tried to duplicate mixes it is VERY hard - at least for me - to translate what I did in stereo to surround ..... feeling / momentum / energy ....

And last but not least .... downmixes or compromises of the one or the other in general suck.

comments ?
Old 10th November 2005
Gear interested

I'm with HUD. The T.M. surround mix is outstanding.
Old 11th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Scheiner

Els
Big E,
I am a huge Kevin Gilbert fan and have been since the stereo mix of Toy Matinee.
I too think you did a stellar job on the 5.1 mix.

I remember in an article that you were interviewd for during the Eagles 5.1 mixes, you mentioned having made some decisions on your early 5.1 mixes that you learned from. ONE of which was never putting the lead vocalist strictly in the center speaker. You mentioned that vocalist, by in large, dont enjoy hearing themselves in the studio being solo'd and that by placing a lead vocal soley in the center speaker you could do just that. Once i read that i immedialty pulled out my 5.1 of Toy Matinee, knowing it was one of your first 5.1 mixes, and there Kevin was....buck naked!
Being a Kevin Gilbert Freak, i loved it.

So to my question, was THIS the album you were referring to?

Also, did you mix this 5.1 from the analog masters? Or did you import it into a DAW?

And as a Kevin Gilbert fan, we need to see about getting you to mix his rock opera...The Shaming of the True.

Thanks.
Dennis Cupp
Old 26th November 2005
Gear interested

Hi Guys....To start, I never do two mixes at once. It doesn't work for me. There's too much subtlety in each format to be concerned with. I understand about the budget problem but I'd rather do it right. So most of the time in those situations, I just spend the extra time to get it right.
Regarding the Toy Matinee disc, I didn't realize that I had left Kevin alone in the center on that one.That wasn't the album I was referring to. Now I'm really depressed.

Els
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search