The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mandolin/Pedal Steel Mic and Mic Pre Setups
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

Mandolin/Pedal Steel Mic and Mic Pre Setups

Hi guys. I was wondering what your favorite mics were to use on pedal steel and mandolin, specifically in country music?
Old 6th November 2005
Gear interested

country micing

Seeing as how I'm the country music guy of META, I guess I'm best qualified to answer your question. Steel guitar in Nashville has no rivals and Paul Franklin would probably be considered the best in town, at least the most versitile. With Paul's rack of outboard gear, driving a pair of speakers I always mic his steel with a pair of Sennheiser 421's. Dan Dougmore uses a single combo amp which sounds best micing it with a Shure 57. I've tried lots of other mics but always go back to these two mics.

For Mandolin, I usually use a Royer 121 at the f hole and a Neumann Km 184 pointing down at the strings, where the musician is strumming, from about a foot or so above and out.
Old 7th November 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Chuck. For the mandolin, do you pan the mics or combine? If you combine, do you usually use more body or neck?
Old 10th November 2005
Gear interested

just what ever sounds good. depends on the song
Old 11th November 2005
What do you like on fiddles, Chuck?

What kind of strings do most of the Nashville guys use, gut, steel...?

I've heard of guys setting up a bi-directional mic between twin fiddles or using M/S stereo miking... thoughts?
Old 15th November 2005
Gear addict

fiddles

Can I second the question about recording fiddles in Nashville?- I'm curious too...
Old 16th November 2005
Gear interested

I'm tracking with Stuart Duncan beginning Thursday and I'll get back to you about the strings after that. As for micing mostly I use an AKG C12 on fiddles although I'm really into DPA's 4041-ta, large diaphram tube mic as well. I always individually mic fiddles.
Old 29th November 2005
Gear addict

...Would love to know what you ended up using whenever you get a sec.

Thanks!
Loading mentioned products ...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search