The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Talented musicians sadly with no confidence
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Nut

I agree!!!!

When a started doing open mic and acostic gigs afternot being in a band for many years, the thing i loved was the feedback. You play a song and you get a reaction. even if you go down badly, there is at least one person in the crowd who is going to like what you are doing. I never ever thought about this until people started coming up to me at the end of gigs saying they liked my stuff.

That's when i had quite a realisation. i thought back to when i was younger going to see tori amos and bands like the pixies. When i was at the gig i was in the moment, totally there. Not thinking about work, or girlfirends, or crappy record industry. It was the ultimate distraction. The ultimate therapy.

Now i feel that if you are a musicuian you have a karmic obligation to perform, not for money but becasue you have a gift and you should share it

stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeArethaSings View Post
I agree!!!
I am an Artist making my 4th album not that known.33 yrs of age.I have had 3 record deals and 2 publishing deals.
The quality of my songs and music have played a big part in all the deals i have had and have.
I produce artists and work with artists in their 50's who tour and sell bucket loads of records at gigs and from their web sites.And they are not mainstream but successful in their own right most importantly happy making others happy.

Fundamentally what i am trying to say is that if your SOUL is crying out to make music for the benefit of others and their lives then follow that desire whatever age,colour,gender or nationality.
I feel that we need more real SOUL led music as there is too much nonsense in the lime light.The only way to feed the people's souls and inspire is to be inspired to make inspiring music!

Futhermore i know much more and have much to say now at 33 than at 23 when i signed my first deal!
Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye (to name a few) all made some of their most meaningful music at around my age!

Nothings gonna stop me as i feel a instrinstic need to make music no matter how old i am for the benefit of others and myself.Thats my role in society!

Well there's my 2 cents...PHEW!!

pEACE Aretha!
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopje View Post
Now i feel that if you are a musicuian you have a karmic obligation to perform, not for money but becasue you have a gift and you should share it
This is a great sentiment for you to apply to yourself. The problem comes when someone applies this to another person.

I feel it is not for me to tell another musician that he has an obligation to do anything with his talent.
Old 25th August 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skopje View Post
Only an obligation to one's self to do something appropriate ... not to anyone else.
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post

Many people who are said to lack confidence are actually Failure-Motivated. They do not hold back out of fear of failure, they hold back out of fear of success. They will avoid success because they are afraid it will disrupt their lives. Push them out of their comfort zone, make them work too hard, they will have to go out on the road, move to LA, whatever.

So thrue... .
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Nut

yes

That is a fair point, it is up to the individual what they do with their talent. It is just something that has become very important to me now

stephen
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Maniac

What about the super confident ones who are sadly lacking in talent..?
plenty of them too...I think they also have a karmic obligation to do something appropriate...like get outa my *`¨"* radio.

I'm kidding, I'm not that cold....Much.
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Nut

laugh

They're sometimes so bad it makes me laugh. Every pose you can think of, every cliche. So funny. When you see someone like that it gives you confidence in your own music i guess, and when you see someone that blows you away, it makes you go away and write better songs

It kind of goes both ways

stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acko View Post
What about the super confident ones who are sadly lacking in talent..?
plenty of them too...I think they also have a karmic obligation to do something appropriate...like get outa my *`¨"* radio.

I'm kidding, I'm not that cold....Much.
Old 24th December 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeArethaSings View Post
I agree!!!
I am an Artist making my 4th album not that known.33 yrs of age.I have had 3 record deals and 2 publishing deals.
The quality of my songs and music have played a big part in all the deals i have had and have.
I produce artists and work with artists in their 50's who tour and sell bucket loads of records at gigs and from their web sites.And they are not mainstream but successful in their own right most importantly happy making others happy.

Fundamentally what i am trying to say is that if your SOUL is crying out to make music for the benefit of others and their lives then follow that desire whatever age,colour,gender or nationality.
I feel that we need more real SOUL led music as there is too much nonsense in the lime light.The only way to feed the people's souls and inspire is to be inspired to make inspiring music!

Futhermore i know much more and have much to say now at 33 than at 23 when i signed my first deal!
Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye (to name a few) all made some of their most meaningful music at around my age!

Nothings gonna stop me as i feel a instrinstic need to make music no matter how old i am for the benefit of others and myself.Thats my role in society!

Well there's my 2 cents...PHEW!!

pEACE Aretha!
AMEN! - You are never too old to make people feel good. Now I'm in the same boat as you. First album hit and the career went into a tailspin, so hanging and NETWORKING really put me in the right place.

Never looked back! - My partner played with Marvin and now he is out producing all kinds & ages. Rasing the love!

Peace everyone!
Old 9th August 2019
Here for the gear

shat about a talented singer/songwriter (or just decide by yourself by tipping raidho333 on google)who had motivation to record 2 albums made 3 music videos and seeing it many people clicks or share ? All people gave good critics (the one Leno listened) however notoriety didn't come and my self confidence is now very low.... any advice friends ?
Old 9th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidho333 View Post
shat about a talented singer/songwriter (or just decide by yourself by tipping raidho333 on google)who had motivation to record 2 albums made 3 music videos and seeing it many people clicks or share ? All people gave good critics (the one Leno listened) however notoriety didn't come and my self confidence is now very low.... any advice friends ?
think of all the people who did not get clicks and shares, or good reviews. You are in many ways, ahead of the game.

If you are in this business to become rich and famous, you are probably among the 99.99 % headed for disappointment. If you are into it for the love of music, you shouldn't base your self-confidence on such an external measure.

I once was working on a documentary about a group of artists. I remarked to the director that one guy in particular did not fit the typical "artist" mold. He was a sculptor who worked by day as a welder. Very blue-collar guy, never went to Art School, didn't hang with other artists, or wear a beret! The director said he was the 'one true artist' of the whole group. Why? Because when he saw a piece of steel, he HAD to bend it. He couldn't NOT make sculptures. It had nothing to do with becoming famous or selling his work at a gallery.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i do my best to not get wrapped up in "stories", my own heavily filtered interpretations of reality that i superimpose over my equally biased perceptions.

here's a story for you. maybe it sounds familiar.

--> a talented person should use their talents or else it's a waste.

is this true? can you know what's best for any other person or their life? what if that way incredible misery lies?

and what of you? are you thinking maybe you're wasting your talents, or your life? how is the manifestation of your own dreams progressing? all on schedule, everything in order?

getting up in someone else's business, even in the guise of concern or helpfulness, is a grand misuse of your energies. someone here asked the question, i'll ask it again: does it ever work? the instant you judge someone as in need of saving, the instant you reinforce their own stories about being a victim.

every day, get your own house in order, do your own work, push yourself into discomfort and create in that space for a while. the people who are in alignment with that vibe will naturally surround you, the ones who can't hang will naturally fall away. there's nothing to do, the decisions will be made.

enjoy it. but not too much. gotta bust your ass too. we're men, after all.

gregoire
del
ubk
Deep Stuff. Good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search