The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I really clear samples?
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Greenway View Post
This has NOTHING to do with the "rebellious punk rock spirit" of hip hop imo. Actually it's sad that ppl are ok with stealing someone else's ideas. How can you possibly justify such a behavior?

So you're telling me you wouldn't be pissed if someone comes along and just steals your thoughts, trying to make money with your work?

Com'on.
Go tell that to Premo
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
Go tell that to Premo
Tell him what terry?

He's a musician and a business man. If Premo takes someone's work without permission then he can get sued.

That's why we have courts.

Hip hop is no exception to the rule.

Once it became a financial powerhouse, it was destined to have legal trappings.

Hip hop can still be rebellious and it still is on plenty of levels 30 odd years later.

Premo, Rza, Pete Rock, etc...they live by the same rules as US Citizens.

If they don't clear samples they can get sued, nobody gets a pass unless permission/licensing is granted.

No amount of bravado or I don't give a what ness can negate the court system. Sorry kids!

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Tell him what terry?

He's a musician and a business man. If Premo takes someone's work without permission then he can get sued.

That's why we have courts.

Hip hop is no exception to the rule.

Once it became a financial powerhouse, it was destined to have legal trappings.

Hip hop can still be rebellious and it still is on plenty of levels 30 odd years later.

Premo, Rza, Pete Rock, etc...they live by the same rules as US Citizens.

If they don't clear samples they can get sued, nobody gets a pass unless permission/licensing is granted.

No amount of bravado or I don't give a what ness can negate the court system. Sorry kids!

Peace
Illumination

I am not trying to boil it down to law i am simply trying to show how narrow mind looking at sampling as "just steals your thoughts, trying to make money with your work?" sounds The example of premo was used to show that samples can often be used by extremely creative individuals to manifest some thing new. I really thought that would have been very obvious but then again this is the internet.
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

When I see that in 2010 some people keep on comparing sampling to stealing, I feel like...

Wow.

Is it possible?
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytee View Post
I am not trying to boil it down to law i am simply trying to show how narrow mind looking at sampling as "just steals your thoughts, trying to make money with your work?" sounds The example of premo was used to show that samples can often be used by extremely creative individuals to manifest some thing new. I really thought that would have been very obvious but then again this is the internet.
Yeah I actually missed that

You're correct, this is the internet and between looking up transformer core laminations, trying to figure out how to get my kids some Christmas presents (American Girl - How I hate you lol) and talking with Jim about some obscure TV tube I completely missed the thing about the rebellious hip hop attitude and DJ Premier lol.

I don't for an instant call into question the validity of hip hop being a cutting edge artform that defies conformity. Or that Premier embodies that on some level. However, he isn't some kid in a basement with a Gemini Sampler and a drum machine. He's a veteran producer, he knows how the music biz is. That rebellious spirit doesn't truly die but damn if alot of other **** doesn't get in the way when you are trying to make a living and feed your wife and kids.

As I said before everybody has to play the game at some point. That's why I like setting my own rules by owning my own label. I normally don't sample music because of the access to the session players. I guess its easier to pay some guys a couple of bucks here and there or just play the music yourself.

I would love to know what Premier would come up with if he would sit down with some capable players and time.

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lee View Post
I don't care what you steal from me. If I find out, I will bite your head off.
You got the money to do anything about it? I got jacked by Lil J*n, I have the copyright registered, but I couldn't even afford a musicologist to analyze it. It's all good though. I sample so it would be hypocritical to do anything. And the album flopped so that's good enough for me. heh
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
You got the money to do anything about it? I got jacked by Lil J*n, I have the copyright registered, but I couldn't even afford a musicologist to analyze it. It's all good though. I sample so it would be hypocritical to do anything. And the album flopped so that's good enough for me. heh
That sux.

What song are you talking about?

I have a good friend who is an entertainment lawyer in Houston. She's pretty damn good.

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
You didn't need a musicologist for my opinion, thats was obvious to me the minute i heard that track. But i don't give a **** heh

I can often get a little emotional on the subject of sampling when people view it all as talentless theft. Plagiarism is huge in this industry & always has been. Am not not going name names but really some of the biggest artists in the world are guilty of plagiarism & am not talking just today, we can go all the way back.
Old 27th November 2010
Gear Maniac
If there was a statutory period, say 5-7 years to give an artist ample time to profit from their recording before it was fair game and then anyone could sample and pay mechanical/master use royalties using a process like the one in place for releasing a cover song, I wouldn't care who sampled my work and I would be able to legally sample an infinite amount of material legally and without breaking the bank.

Until then, we all know how much ego and emotion musicians can work up regarding their music, and we know how much lawyers like winning arguments and collecting money. Sampling without permission is a good way to find out how bad those things can get.
Old 30th November 2010
Gear Maniac

whatever, it still seems like people are scared and worrying about the law when they should be worried about what sounds good and how to be innovative with their equipment and get heard. the influence of techno in hip-hop is so prevalent now that i think its alot easier for people to not want to use samples also.

there isnt anything stopping anyone now from writing some tracks made up of anyones 'life's work' and bust out live shows and get paid and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.

that girl talk dude for example is makin nice money using nothing but obvious samples in his live show while some folks are worried about clearing loops in the studio on a track no one is gonna hear. that dude still hasnt been sued.
Old 30th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmean View Post
there isnt anything stopping anyone now from writing some tracks made up of anyones 'life's work' and bust out live shows and get paid and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.
Ever heard of an injuction by a court with the threat of a penalty if not complied?!
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

How could work like this be done without sampling?

Old 6th August 2019
Here for the gear

..I've been in an underground hip hop group that has traveled both locally, nationally and internationally. We have used uncleared samples for over 20 years give or take. And as far as I know, none of us have ever received a "cease & desist" order. Granted, we have remained under the radar for years, but also had moments of recognition. It's my understanding from other artists who have attained this level of notoriety, as long as you don't break around $50,000 or more, when selling your tracks, more than likely, you will remain under the radar and no music publisher or master owner is gonna bother putting in the financial aggravation over small potatoes. However, if you do start making big money, like everyone has said here, it's likely someone will notice your making money off their material and they will expect compensation. I am also in the same boat though. I finally finished my own solo album, as opposed to the collective group albums I have been apart of for years and after years of work, almost a decade, my album is 80-90 percent samples and I am still just as worried as the other artists on here wondering the same thing. Especially since I am coming from a group that has layed down a platform of 20 years of work and recognition. So I am worried because I am not just an artist starting off and so my name is attached to this group, and I am also concerned that the samples may get noticed faster because the little bit of recognition we attained. And after all this time, effort, money, work, creativity, hustling and eventually promotion, pressings, posting, touring and performing to come, I would hate to have it ripped out of my hands. And I by no means have the kind of money to clear the samples I used, granted the majority of them all come from very bizarre, hard to find, never heard of records before. I think I have one big artist I sampled, which is Gladys knight. The rest are like music for plants records, children's records and the like. But they are still owned by someone. So I am in the same dilemma as well. My record has been finished, mixed and mastered and I've been sitting on it for 6 months and just don't know what to do. I am at the point where I am just gonna give the album all away for free and pray.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search