The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
where can i find session musicians???? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

where can i find session musicians????

I was listening to NPR public radio the other day and they had a special show talking about how these days allot of acts or musicians doing solo projects higher out session musiciansa nd how everything's done online.

They also mentioned that for a resonable price you can get famous guitarists or famous drummers to lay tracks down for your project for reasonable fee's.

Well they never really gave info on where or how to find these guys. I mean there's no like central community or place where you can find these famous session players.

So I'm wondering if anyone here knows where to find these guys. Typing in "session musician" or similar key words does bring up a bunch of guys online...but they aren't the "famous brand name guys" that were mentioned on NPR.

ANyone know???
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

"session musician" might be too vague for a google search. If you want specifics, use specific keywords.

If you want a guitar player, type guitar.
If you want them in you town, type the name of your town.
If you want famous person X, type their name - find their website, and use their prefered contact method ...

Not every session player is computer literate - some might just have good contacts at local studio's.

Try advertising in your musicshop or whatever.

Go watch some bands, or hang out in music gear shops and approach the good players.

Check out the local music teachers.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

It might be a hook up you need to do. Otherwise, I am on the central coast of California, and fortunately a couple "studio players" stopped by for a session or two. I don't know what your budget is, but depends on how serious you are etc. Point is... that those folks are available somewhere, but not by searching on the net. Let me know what you are after. Perhaps some of the cats and kittens I know might help?
Good luck with your deal!
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Addict

There was a service being developed a while ago that was dedicated to just this thing. A thread was started for it, but I can't remember the name of the particular site. It also included freelance engineers and producers. Anyone recall what I'm talking about?
Old 6th March 2008
Motown legend

Many of the greatest are now in Nashville.

An online source/service is:

Welcome to eSession
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments...it's all stuff I'm currently looking into.

Surflounge, as far as session players...right now I'm looking for a drummer who's got allot of credits from the 70's and has access to lot of those old school sounding drum kits.

I'm gonna be looking for a guitarst in about a month and I'm looking for an engineer that also did allot of albums in the 70's for mixing some projects. Specifically looking to have material ran through some ssl's and then 2-inch.
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Addict

One consideration: Musicians from that era may not have their own rigs/studios or have the engineering chops to get that sound.

If you really want that, find a guy to put it all together for you - book the room/engineer/musicians, etc. Ideally, he would have some experience from back then; a "legendary Motown engineer," if you will.

I wonder where we could find a guy like that, hmmm....
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigotgo View Post
I was listening to NPR public radio the other day and they had a special show talking about how these days allot of acts or musicians doing solo projects higher out session musiciansa nd how everything's done online.

They also mentioned that for a resonable price you can get famous guitarists or famous drummers to lay tracks down for your project for reasonable fee's.

Well they never really gave info on where or how to find these guys. I mean there's no like central community or place where you can find these famous session players.

So I'm wondering if anyone here knows where to find these guys. Typing in "session musician" or similar key words does bring up a bunch of guys online...but they aren't the "famous brand name guys" that were mentioned on NPR.

ANyone know???
Just what kind of musicians are you looking for and which instruments??

FYI,I am a "session musician" and I have played on hundreds of hit recording sessions.
You can PM me and I will fill you in.
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigotgo View Post

ANyone know???
Why don't you track down the NPR reporter who did the story and ask?

You don't say what you consider "reasonable" fees, so perhaps you can elaborate a bit. What you might think is reasonable vs. what "famous 70s drummer" thinks is reasonable may be quite different.

To be a little more practical, I would suggest you start networking in your area. Get to know people, get hold of directories, advertise on Craigslist. Think about the actual results you want to achieve and your budget for doing so. The more you can narrow it down, the more likely you'll be able to easily find what you're looking for.
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

As a musician myself, I think the best approach is probably to be more specific. Try to find out which musicians have a style you like, especially ones in your area, then call them for a session. Most bands and musicians have websites or contact information on the internet.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

I know one in NYC. Plays for NBC, Universal, you name it. Left handed too
Geetar that is!
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Though there are countless people doing it, if you're looking for big names, I have to second Bob's recommendation of eSession.
Old 6th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Check out the local music teachers.
DINGDINGDING! Lots of music teachers (at least in my experience) can PLAY and would love the adventure of a (weekend or after 3pm, hah) session. And you can get 'em at a great rate because they take bullsquat for a salary as it is.
Old 6th March 2008
Gear Addict

eSession is a great concept and the line up of talent is impressive.

I just wish the website navigated a bit faster.
And a number of musicians didn't bother to include audio samples of their work.
Perhaps they're relying on the big names they've played with?
Audio samples are are essential, in my opinion.
Great website though.
Old 6th March 2008
Call the AFM
American Federation of Musicians.
That would be the music union.
There's one in your town.
If you're in America.
Old 6th March 2008
Motown legend

Beware that one of the biggest differences in "sound" is the difference between recording a complete rhythm section at once and making an "Erector Set" recording by overdubbing one instrument at a time.

When the whole section is recorded at the same time, each player is adjusting their phrasing, voicing, dynamics and every other aspect of the arrangement interactively. The minute you lock down any one element of an arrangement and record against it, the possibilities become lots more limited.
Old 6th March 2008
Here is one such community.

digitalmusician.net: home
Old 6th March 2008
Here for the gear

Hey,
Just wanted to thank eveyone for their effort in helping me find this. esession's is the site they were discussing on NPR..... I knew you super-slueth's would know what I was talking about.

Thanks a BUNDLE!!!!!
Old 17th October 2010
Here for the gear

I offer online custom drum tracks through my website if you are interested.
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

My dad was a session musician in the 80's here in LA. He did arranging too. Anyway, i can't wait till I can afford to pay some session musicians. I've had friends offer but I hate doing things for free. If I decide it's garbage they may have feelings, lol.

Do musicians list on Craigslist these days? With the economy the way it is, it shouldn't be hard to find someone.
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

To find a reputable session player, contact the engineers at the local studios and ask them who they see on a lot of sessions. Whittle it down from there by genre, (country, rock, classical, commercial). Good luck.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear
some of us are session musicians on gearslutz.... the remote variety mostly unless we happen to live in your town. so depending on what you need there are always shortcuts to people here.

I'm only one of hundreds on here I'm certain.

cheers and good luck to you :-)
Old 17th October 2010
Gear Head

Try to find some newer music that you like the sound of read the credits see the guys who played on the project and find out where they recorded at and call the studio and let them help you get in touch with the players. Most places are pretty good about that. and a lot of guys are working pretty cheap right now out of nashville. I know that Brent Mason (allen Jackson, Toby Keith and a lot of other country artists) is charging $200/song and thats giving it everything the song needs. Prices are down because guys aren't having to book studios anymore. they're doing it all at home. As far as wanting SSL to 2 inch tape.. thats gonna be some serious money. If you higher drummers and they cut at there own place, you will usually here a lot of Rupert Neve, Vintech, and API stuff on drums. It's kind of the thing right now seems like. Good luck though!
Old 17th October 2010
Gear Maniac

I may as well pitch in - I've been doing sessions for 20 years with a lot of label credits. I cover pretty much all contemporary styles (pop, soul, R&B, jazz, rock, folk etc.) - I play guitar/keys/bass/violin-fiddle/tin-whistle and low whistles as well as vocals too.

The recording session scene in London is pretty much dead, sadly...shame, I love doing them!
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Among many other things, i am a session musician and vocalist. I have played and sung on Grammy winning albums, gold and platinum, etc.... Though i rarely book myself out as ONLY a session musician unless its a label gig. I do offer session work if needed while i'm mixing or producing. usually guitar, though i play alot of stuff in alot of styles.

My Session drummer, Dylan Wissing, is here on gearslutz (user = dylanwissing ) I've been using him almost a decade now and he's amazing, rock solid on a click, and really versatile. This year i've used him on a couple Kanye West songs and have used him in the past for everything from Jay Z to pop to heavy rock. Dude has more drum kits than should be allowed by law, and has his own recording studio setup in Hoboken, NJ just outside NYC. similar to what alot of guys are doing, send him the song and he will lay down live drums for you in his studio, (and / or percussion) very well recorded and performed. I think his website is Indie Studio Drummer | World-Class Drum Tracks for Independent Artists

He kind of runs his session drumming business like i run my mixing business, anyone anywhere in the world can use him. the internet F'ing rules nowadays!! so convenient. anyway, the dude is a monster in many styles if anyone needs him just reach out. and he's a great guy and straight up businessman to boot. very reliable (otherwise he wouldnt last ten minutes with me let alone ten years)
Old 18th October 2010
Hey, thanks Ken! Yeah, if anyone needs a session drummer I'm always ready, willing, and able! Find me at www.indiestudiodrummer.com.

Great thread. Who else on Gearslutz is doing session work online? I know there are many of you out there!
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

I've opened up many a trade mags(EQ, EM, Tape OP, Sound on Sound) and seen plenty of ads in the back of them. They pretty much give you pricing right in the ad. I've seen famous drummers, guitar players and bassists. However, I find it more convenient to just start calling your local University and ask for name of some of the finer players the school has. If that school is worth anything, the players have experience in the studio and gigging. When I was at the University of Miami, every player had a laundry list of top 40's albums to include even trombone players that had played on Jay-Z albums. Make some calls, there are probably some decent players in your area. The younger they are, they may still be talented and I've gotten lucky even with high school players that are pretty badass for their age and got exactly what I needed taken care of on the track for free, just because they wanted the experience.

Best of luck to ya...shouldn't be hard to find what you're looking for.
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwissing View Post
Great thread. Who else on Gearslutz is doing session work online? I know there are many of you out there!
I do backup vocal work myself and I can get bass, drums and guitars done on anything in any genre for the right price.
Old 19th October 2010
where can i find session musicians????

Hey Guys,
I'm a drummer from Berlin, Germany. I do remote sessions(percussion too).
Greatz

Daniel
Old 19th October 2010
Gear Addict

Not surprising to see so many drummers doing this - myself included. Most project rooms can welcome in a guest guitar or bass player, vocalist or whatever for some productive "one on one" overdubbing. But the multiple pres, mics, and converters needed, coupled with the amount of treated space required to record drumset makes this sort of satellite arrangement, if not ideal, then at least very useful and affordable.

For me, the lack of immediate feedback can be a drag at times, but the ability to try things out without always being in "the fish bowl" kind of balances that out and is often pretty cool. And while working this way might not be every client's cup of tea, I think for those that try it, regardless of whether their project is a song demo or a big production show, success is often all about keeping the communication as open and convenient as possible and sussing out the workflow and approval pipeline.

Overall there certainly seems to be a growing acceptance of all this as a working alternative to the traditional session scenario.

David

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search