The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PayPal Refunded Clients Deposit...
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

PayPal Refunded Clients Deposit...

I've decided to open the studio back up in the next few weeks. One of the decisions was to schedule sessions/groups at least 5 days apart as a COVID protocol. All that to say, it's going to make scheduling really tight. It's not that bad though, most of my clients come from out of state for at least multiple days.

I had one person that I've never worked with before reach out through a friend and wanted to book 3 days. We talked things through, I found a gap in the schedule that would work in July, and we agreed. I require a 20% deposit for booking, they had it to me within a few hours via PayPal. Fast forward 2 weeks, I get an email saying they had found another studio closer to them for significantly cheaper. I get it, they're out of state. Frustrating, but I kept things very professional. Wrote them back saying I was sorry to hear that, good luck and to reach out to me if they need anything in the future. I didn't even mention the deposit as I figured it was obvious. I was also crystal clear on the phone and at least 2 emails that deposits were not refundable.

A few hours after my email reply, I had a disputed charge pop up on Paypal and within a day they had their deposit money back. I shared all the emails and my policy with PayPal for the case, but got a cookie cutter response saying they were refunding the money...

Has anyone else dealt with this before? This was the WHOLE point of the deposit, because I'm out of that money and the time I had put aside for them. It's especially important now that I'm spacing sessions out. PayPal considers the case closed and will not address it. That pretty much just leaves Zelle and Venmo as I imagine this will just be "par for course" with PayPal in the future. Any suggestions on an alternate invoicing technique for PayPal? For deposits, I've always given clients my payment info and just had them send the money. Should I ALWAYS invoice this stuff when dealing with PayPal? Will doing that give me any protection? I have a feeling this guy knew what he was doing from the start and has probably done this to other people. He didn't even mention a refund on the deposit, he just immediately opened a case.

Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

Paypal does not care about you. shocked?
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

That’s BS... I suspect the only way around this is to have them send the deposit through “friends and family”
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

I’m curious if you reached out to the client?

I’d send them a new invoice...

You’ll never collect it... but, having them lose a night of sleep over it is worth it for being such c*nts
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’m curious if you reached out to the client?

I’d send them a new invoice...

You’ll never collect it... but, having them lose a night of sleep over it is worth it for being such c*nts
Haha, I like where your head is at! I emailed back and tried to call after the dispute popped up, obviously no response. I honestly don't care and know I got screwed over on this one, I just want to learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor View Post
Paypal does not care about you. shocked?
Not shocked at all. I've gotten screwed over on people returning stuff to me on eBay as well for the most ridiculous reasons. PayPal had their hands in that stuff too. I would love to NOT use PayPal, but every client over 40 years old doesn't have any other way of paying.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

But what’s the solution???

Friends and family is the best one I’ve come up with for my online session work...

But, Zelle? What else is there? There’s got to be a payment processor that specializes in creatives I would think, no?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear