The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advices needed: How do I find a good Mastering and Mixing Engineer?
Old 2 days ago
Advices needed: How do I find a good Mastering and Mixing Engineer?

Hi everyone, I am a guitar player and a songwriter, I have recorded some songs with Logic Pro X ( only instrumental at the moment ).

I would like to get my songs professionally mixed and mastered: And this is where I am completely lost. I have no idea where to look for a good sound engineer, I have heard about fiverr, I have also a list of youtubers that do mixing too.

But how do I know if a producer / sound engineer (is that the same job by the way ? ) is a good one ?

Because most of the people I see are more into electronic music … But what I do is more ambient / acoustic music.

Is a good sound engineer able to mix any type of music?

How ready or finished should be a song before sending it for mixing?
What I mean by that is whether or not the person who’s responsible for mixing is going to make any suggestions or not on how to improve the song.

Last thing is, even though it's not really related to the title, how do I protect my music?

I have heard so many horror stories of people getting their song stolen, or wrongfully claimed by someone else.
Is there a way to register my song online so that every time someone uploads it to let's say YouTube or Facebook I get a notification with the possibility (in the worst case scenario) to ask for the person to remove that video ?

Thank you
Old 1 day ago
Think of your favourite records in your genre.

Find out who mixed them.

Approach them!

Many people can mix cross-genre, but not necessarily. People used to mixing electronic music might not do so well with acoustic instruments, and vice versa (particularly drum kits or other multi mic techniques).

Same with mastering. It’s not impossible to find out and reach out to people who did your favourite work.

I’d steer clear from people on fivrr and other race to the bottom sites. Soundbetter is more respected perhaps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search