The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does overtime exist?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Does overtime exist?

All you out there who charge a day rate - engineers and assistant engineers, do you ever charge/get paid overtime?

As in, your day rate is for 8 hours, (or however many), and after 8 hours, an hourly rate kicks in.

I'm working at a pretty new studio and when the job (assistant engineer) was first discussed, (about a year ago, before there were any sessions happening), we discussed $100/day and then $20/hour if the day goes longer than 8 hours.

Now, a year later, the studio is up and running, and as far as I can tell the studio intends to pay $100/day, no matter how long the day goes.

Should I bring up the potential overtime pay or is that just wishful thinking on my part? Of course I'd like to make more money... but don't want to make an unreasonable ask.

Is overtime a common practice, or is it more common that you're stuck with whatever your day rate is, no matter how long the day goes?

I understand that there is a huge amount of variation depending on the studio/artist/project/etc etc, I'm just looking to hear people's different experiences and opinions on this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lemmy once said "There are no pensions in rock n roll". I think it's probably safe to assume that also applies to OT.

You can always call HR and take it up with them if you don't like it.
Old 1 week ago
If the studio charges overtime after a number of hours, it’s reasonable to expect overtime. If they’re doing a day lockout it’s harder.

I got £75/day, no overtime for years as an assistant in London...it’s kind of part of the gig for a while. I wish I could get the budget for an assistant most of the time at the moment!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search